Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Cast error for a gold and silver item, value?

An old choker that was supposed to be .925 came up with a surprise. On a Thermo Scientific Niton DXL x-ray machine it came out as 16.3% "AU" (Gold) content or 3.9 kt. (Picture attached) The Silver "AG" being 54.7% and thus clearly not .925 and the copper content was 29.1%

NITON DXL Reading:

The markings on the inside shows:

And the complete item is as follows:

The only thing I can figure out is that it was the 1st mold made after gold was being used in their smelting system where that item now had 16.3% gold content. Nothing else I can think of explains that 16.3% gold content. This would make the piece a casting error and rather rare.

My two questions are:

1. Would this make the piece very valuable, a possible submission item to Sothebys auctions?

2. What type of authentication should I have done to the item and by whom?

I thank you in advance for any feedback.

WB

Tagged:

Answers

• Options

TOTAL weight of the item is 65.5 grams.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

This is the coin forum you may want to try the precious metals forum.
    https://forums.collectors.com/categories/precious-metals

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Rare casting error"?

It's mismarked jewelry. If that has a premium I am sure there are people who will make you as much as you want.

Wear it or melt it.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why isn't that just gold plated silver. The Xray machine only assays the surface.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd bet identifying the makers marks could reveal who made a particular type of jewelry, ie gold plated silver as previously stated. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

In all likelihood if you try to get a premium for such an item you will be laughed out the door. It will probably be bought for a considerable discount from melt value if they buy it at all.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2021 6:04AM

@WB5.... Welcome aboard. I would agree with gold plated silver/copper.... mismarked - whether intentional or by error... No added value. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file