Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Patience, or lack thereof.... pics of the coin added to the thread

seanqseanq Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 1, 2021 7:43PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I used to think the biggest strain on my patience in this hobby was waiting for updates on the status of a PCGS submission, but I think I discovered something just as bad. It's when you spot a tough variety three hours into a ten day eBay auction, and have to sweat out someone else seeing it and out bidding / outsniping you.

Luckily for me, nobody else spotted this latest pick, and I won the auction uncontested this morning. You will have to wait until I have the coin in hand to find out what it was, though. It's only fair that your patience should get tested, too. ;)

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2021 12:13PM

I know the feeling waiting it out on a desired coin and getting a fantastic price at the end.

I have a much bigger problem with BIN coins that have the Best Offer Feature. Never know exactly what to do until I do it.

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    I know the feeling waiting it out on a desired coin.

I have a much bigger problem with BIN coins that have the Best Offer Feature. Never know exactly what to do until I do it.

How about BIN coins that have been listed for a good while, and you wonder... Why hasn't this been bought? What's wrong with it?

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    I know the feeling waiting it out on a desired coin.

How about BIN coins that have been listed for a good while, and you wonder... Why hasn't this been bought? What's wrong with it?

No.

If I am watching a BIN coin then I want it. The reason I have not pulled the trigger is the price. This is where negotiations and eBay 5% come into play.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a Doctor, therefore I have no patients.

I want to see that sucker RIGHT NOW!

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps you could "ease the strain" by thinking about it as a Hobby. Patience in this "hobby" is waiting for the coin you want/need coming up just the way you want it at a price you are willing to pay. Patience in this "business" is waiting for your submissions and snipes.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have the patience of a saint.... Rarely am I impatient with anything, except for myself... sometimes I procrastinate, and THEN I am impatient with myself... but rectify it quickly. Other than that, no problem. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

This should be more fun that waiting for my last Submission to get graded...Glad you snagged something!

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

When nice baubles tempt me, I try to remember that there will be another that will come along (I don't collect rarities). I also want to be patient for the right piece. This is a constant challenge!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, I see where you are coming from. Esp. with PCGS submissions. All the concerns to grow anxious about.
    Now, about the Ebay game. I am not a gamer on this, yet. Maybe later? No Ebay account. I always wondered about when one wins an auction. Are you and/or will you be receiving the ACTUAL coin you bid on? I can easily see the seller switching coins, whether knowingly or unknowingly about a Cherry they have just sold? How are you, the winner of the auction, going to prove the coin you were bidding on had that small mint mark, small die clash or mispositioned letter/number that you noticed before you start bidding? :*

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

So here is the coin I was sweating, an unattributed 1870 Shield nickel doubled die reverse. The whole coin pics are from the auction listing, then I took close-ups of the three pickup points that helped me attribute it from the listing.

It's got Fine details but lots of corrosion, I may set it in an olive oil bath for a while to see if I can break up some of the gunk. Even in this condition it's a tough variety to locate, I've been looking at Shield nickels on eBay for a while and this is just the second I've picked, the first being at least 15 years ago.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file