Home Precious Metals
Options

XRF analyzer recommendations for a small auction house

I work at a smaller regional auction business in the southwest and I am often tasked to help determine the metal content of consigned items whether jewelry, US & foreign coinage among other items. We spend a fair amount of time trying to evaluate certain items to determine the metal content and I would appreciate input pointing us in a direction of a XRF analyzer or other options that may better help us do what we do daily. Countertop and hand-held options are both helpful. We do occasionally find items consigned that are not what they are purported to be and I'd really like to find something that we would use without having to acid / ping / otherwise test items. Thanks for ideas!

I was referred here from the coin forum to folks that may me more knowledgeable in this field. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    doubleeagle07doubleeagle07 Posts: 397 ✭✭✭

For coins I would highly recommend a sigma metalytics machine. It determines if a known coin is real, however you can mix and match the settings to confirm exactly what you have if your not sure of the silver or gold content of a coin, round, or bar. The machine is really designed for coins or small bars and is not recommend for jewelry.

Successful transactions with: AnonMan, Commoncents05, JJM, PerryHall, Danielp, greenwr, Along, Herb_T, Downtown1974, masscrew, coinnerd, liefgold, JWP, Relaxn, Pnies20, Weiss, Type2, dm679864, pointfivezero, and more!

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL sounds like an infomercial for scam city. The Sigma is junk, fooled continuously by plated fake garbage. Don't waste your $$$.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2021 9:49PM

@blitzdude said:
    LOL sounds like an infomercial for scam city. The Sigma is junk, fooled continuously by plated fake garbage. Don't waste your $$$.

Disregard the troll.

He's more than likely never even had his hands on a Sigma. He just likes to stir the pot. I've been using the Sigma for many years; mine has never been fooled by plated fake garbage. Does very well at identifying it.

Here's the latest plated junk that didn't get past the Sigma:

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2021 6:12AM

Have you found differences in readings depending on where you place the coin? Just wondering as the coin is placed outside of the center ring.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only troll here is the sigma salesman. You don't need a analyzer to tell the coin in your picture is fake, a 2 second visual is more than enough. Now go measure a silver plated one and let me know what your sigma says. lol

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    edited October 24, 2021 11:38AM

@blitzdude said:
    You don't need a analyzer to tell the coin in your picture is fake, a 2 second visual is more than enough. Now go measure a silver plated one and let me know what your sigma says. lol

coin in pic is silver plated. No wonder it only takes you 2 seconds to lose money with silver. lol

• Options

@cohodk said:
    Have you found differences in readings depending on where you place the coin? Just wondering as the coin is placed outside of the center ring.

Coin needs to be placed in center ring over internal detector or directly under one of the three plug-in wands. In the pic I am using one of the wands (detector). Not using a wand for this coin gives the same "fake" reading. Plugging a wand into the instrument automatically switches to the wand as the detector in use as indicated by the illuminated "wand" light.

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Sigma model shown above is a good tool for analyzing coins (I have one). If you're going to be testing coins, jewelry and other precious metal items you might want to consider a desktop unit like the Thermo Scientific Niton DXL. It's more expensive but has broader applications.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

Coin needs to be placed in center ring over internal detector or directly under one of the three plug-in wands. In the pic I am using one of the wands (detector). Not using a wand for this coin gives the same "fake" reading. Plugging a wand into the instrument automatically switches to the wand as the detector in use as indicated by the illuminated "wand" light.

Gotcha. Thanks.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

Thanks guys! All info points me in the right direction!

• Options
    USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@blitzdude said:

Disregard the troll.

He's more than likely never even had his hands on a Sigma. He just likes to stir the pot. I've been using the Sigma for many years; mine has never been fooled by plated fake garbage. Does very well at identifying it.

Here's the latest plated junk that didn't get past the Sigma:

Hi, does it work for sterling? I.E. flatware ect...

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s what I was wondering… does the probe help do flatware?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    That’s what I was wondering… does the probe help do flatware?

I want to see a photo or video of that; if it worked I'd purchase one.

• Options

Hey folks, a friendly reminder.
    Please review:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1009079/pcgs-forum-rules-and-guidelines-updated-4-19-2021

2. Posts must not contain libelous (accusatory, attacking) remarks concerning any individual, company, or other entity.

Further attacks and accusatory remarks from anyone in this thread will result in a level 3 warning.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.