Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What a difference 14 years makes

$13.8k n 2007, €50k hammer, ~$70k with juice 2021.

Comments

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rare high quality gold coins like this are still a good buy imo.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:
    Rare high quality gold coins like this are still a good buy imo.

It’s just not really that rare though…along with the CAR 8E’s. They are awesome coins but poor relative value. That said, I still will buy one

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

It actually edged out the S&P500 over that period of time. That's a rare occurence in the coin market.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a large, SHOWY coin. Plus not being an "all over eBay" coin.
    I'd think that combo should continue to do well. Maybe not THAT well, but I'm having a heckuva time finding nice WORLD coins.

That is different from a year or two ago.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s an awesome coin! Were you a bidder?
    I love that issue, the CAR 8E and the South Peru 8E as well. All fall into the same category of not being all that rare, but still pricy since they’re beautiful.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really disliked the coin at the assigned grade and think it was miserable value. Cool design though!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

I would love to collect these in gold, not just silver, but they are out of my budget. One can dream!

We just need a time machine to go back and buy the coins that we couldn't afford originally or did not pay enough attention to years ago...

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe the full set in gold is 8E, 2e, 1e and possibly 4e (I’ve heard it talked about but can’t find any pictures. Not sure if it’s a rumor)
    The 1e is a one year type (1813) with maybe 4 known? So it’ll be a real challenge!