Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Intercollegiate football centennial medal

THKCollectionsTHKCollections Posts: 21 ✭✭
edited October 21, 2021 5:54PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and excited to be here. I recently purchased this commemorative token, marking the 100th anniversary of the first intercollegiate football game. It was a bit of a random purchase but it caught my attention and fancy enough to buy it. I couldn't find too much information about it so far, and was wondering if anyone knows anything about it.

Amateur, omnivorous numismatist with some focus on Canadian and US coins!
Instagram account: thkcollections

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe Franklin Mint.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

These were privately produced and I believe they are Medallic Art Company medals. As far as I know, they are not really valuable, but still cool.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pics anyway...

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum. I dont know anything about your medal.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@TomB said:
    These were privately produced and I believe they are Medallic Art Company medals. As far as I know, they are not really valuable, but still cool.

Thank you (and everyone who responded)! They are Medallic Art Company medals. It was just the phrase I needed to search on google to help me find it. I wish I had detailed information on mintage, weight, and that number on the rim, but I was able to find a specimen catalogue through the American Numismatic Society website that lists all of the medallic art company medals by decade.

http://numismatics.org/maco/maco-specimen-archive-2/
    http://numismatics.org/maco/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2020/08/maco-archive-image-catalog-1965-1969.pdf

Thanks again!

Amateur, omnivorous numismatist with some focus on Canadian and US coins!
    Instagram account: thkcollections

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice medal! I don't recall having seen one before.

I wonder how close to Rugby the game of Football was in 1869?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome!

Here's another Medallic Art product. I really like these because of the fine craftsmanship and extreme relief of them.

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:
    Welcome!

Here's another Medallic Art product. I really like these because of the fine craftsmanship and extreme relief of them.

Yikes, you wouldn't be stacking these very high!

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@THKCollections... Welcome aboard. Very nice pictures... I am not a fan of ball sports, however, with their popularity, this would be of interest to many - especially those who follow the college sports. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file