Home Metal Detecting
Options

Ancient crusader sword discovered in underwater treasure trove USA TODAY

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ancient crusader sword discovered in underwater treasure trove
USA TODAY 18 hrs ago

In this photo provided by Israel's Antiquities Authority, an ancient sword is seen after it was discovered by an Israeli diver off the country's Mediterranean coast near Haifa, Israel, Oct. 14, 2021.
Israel's Antiquities Authority said a scuba diver was on a weekend dive in northern Israel last Saturday when he spotted a trove of ancient artifacts that included anchors, pottery and the sword.
Shlomi Katzin found the sword on the floor of the Mediterranean Sea along with other artifacts, including stone anchors and pottery fragments. But the sword was the most "priceless" and "extremely rare" artifact according to Jacob Sharvit, who leads the Israel Antiquities Authority's Marine Archaeology Unit.
Shlomi Katzin, the scuba diver who found the sword on the floor of the Mediterranean Sea along with other artifacts, was awarded a certificate of appreciation for good citizenship and praised by the general director of the Israel Antiquities Authority, Eli Escosido. "Every ancient artifact that is found helps us piece together the historical puzzle of the Land of Israel," he said.

The sword weighed four 4 pounds, measured to be four 4-feet-long and dates back to the Third Crusade which was launched when three European monarchs tried to retake Jerusalem after its fall to the Muslims.
A 900-year-old iron sword found off the coast of Israel on Oct. 16, 2021 is believed to be a relic from the Crusades.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an incredible find. I wonder if it is in the scabbard... Also wonder if they will try restoration. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd love to see the reveal on that encrusted sword. You know that handle is ornate, maybe a big honkin ruby on the top. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭✭

The generous Israeli government gave the finder a "certificate of appreciation." Isn't that nice.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd rather have a crate of Jaffe oranges. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    SandWSandW Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited October 31, 2021 4:47AM

@Bayard1908 said:
    The generous Israeli government gave the finder a "certificate of appreciation." Isn't that nice.

Agreed!. Not very wise of the Israeli government to be that stingy... may encourage future treasure finders to keep the ol' donut trap shut and sell off what they find.
    I remember the story of the couple that found a can of 1800s gold coins. They paid dearly for telling the whole world.. like clockwork, the state and federal leeches stepped in and took what portion they decided was theirs to take.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The credo of cache hunters (metal detecting world) and knowledgeable treasure hunters is "TELL NO ONE!!!!". Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely a great find.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

In Italy my I knew a diver who was constantly finding old stone sea anchors. He had them lined up across his property.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions