Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Single season consisting of 40+ HRs; 100+ RBIs and BA of .300+

Has anyone thought of or attempted to complete a player card collection of those that accomplished what is referenced above in a single season? And the objective would be get the card in the season that milestone was achieved...

Seems like an interesting challenge and would shed was well deserved light on some excellent players.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2021 5:52AM

It appears that there have been 343 times that 40 HRs were hit in a season. Now I have to figure out how to filter that by the other 2 parameters.

Edited to add: Babe Ruth did it 11 times with 7 of them coming consecutively.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

If a player accomplished the feat more than once in his career, would you be wanting a card from every season it happened?

I know for instance Frank Thomas and Albert Pujols both did it multiple times.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect the number of players to accomplish this is likely in the 65-75 range. I think it will be interesting to see how many non HOFers have done this... I think we will be surprised with that number

• Options

there will be some random seasons like Wally Post in 1955, Ted Kluszewski in 1954 and Ellis Burks in 1996.

• Options

I doubt that would be necessary unless the collector thought it would be needed for a personal sense of completing. Seems Babe Ruth will likely be top man

• Options

Gil HODGES in 1954 and Jim Gentile had an amazing season in 1961 for the Orioles. Rocky Colavito in 1958 so the current non HOFers are doing okay... seems my initial estimate might be low

• Options

@coinkat said:
    I suspect the number of players to accomplish this is likely in the 65-75 range.........

You could be right since I haven't sorted by unique players (if that's what you meant), but the number of times it has been accomplished is 173.

• Options

@nam812 thanks for the work you have put into the question

I was thinking solely of the number of different players... not how many times the feat was done.

• Options
    edited October 19, 2021 7:27AM

@coinkat said:
    @nam812 thanks for the work you have put into the question

I was thinking solely of the number of different players... not how many times the feat was done.

92 different players have done it, including a father and son not named Bonds or Griffey.

ETA - There were also 3 players that missed by hitting under .2995

• Options
    edited October 19, 2021 7:42AM

Now that would be a good trivia question... off hand...I am embarrassed to admit that I don't know. I suspect there are others here that will provide the right answer

• Options
    edited October 19, 2021 8:01AM

I'm stuck on who the least likely name on the list would be. It seems like it would either be the recently fired Phil Nevin or Ben Oglivie.

• Options

nevin was a number one overall draft pick

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few players I looked up

Barry Bonds - 6 times.
    Pujols -6 times
    Mays - 5 times
    Aaron - 4 times
    Gehrig - 5 times

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited October 20, 2021 4:23AM

@coolstanley said:
    A few players I looked up

Barry Bonds - 6 times.
    Pujols -6 times
    Mays - 5 times
    Aaron - 4 times
    Gehrig - 5 times

Some others with 5+ times doing it are:
    Ruth - 11 times
    Arod - 6 times
    Foxx - 5 times

Also, Shawn Green is another name that's in contention for least likely.

Edited to add: - Rogers Hornsby did it with a .401 average.

• Options

It is noteworthy as to who did not accomplish this... some pretty big names

• Options
    edited October 20, 2021 5:54AM

And who had the most triples while accomplishing it......Lou Gehrig with 17 (1930). Babe Ruth was a close second with 16 (1921).

Edited to add:
    The year it happened most - 1996 (post 1994 strike steroids) 12 times. By comparison it only happened 6 times in the whole 1970s, and it only happened 11 times between 1969 and 1993.

Longest span of years where it didn't happen - 6 when there was none from Reggie Jackson (1980) to George A. Bell (1987).

• Options

I like the hornsby reference. doing that with a .400 average is pretty amazing.

• Options

Babe Ruth did it 11 times, but during the 7 years in a row that he did it (1926 to 1932) he averaged 49 HRs, 151 RBIs and a .353 average.

The player who did it in the least amount of Games? - J.D. Martinez 119 in 2017

The player who did it in the least amount of at bats? - Barry Bonds 373 in 2004

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

How about you need to complete this run with the PSA grade being the number of stolen bases that season.

• Options

@GreenSneakers said:
    How about you need to complete this run with the PSA grade being the number of stolen bases that season.

14 players have done it while getting 0 stolen bases in the year they did it.

3 players have done it while getting 40 or more stolen bases in the year they did it.

• Options

The first name that came to mind when I read the thread title was Yaz in 1967.

Bill
    wpkoughan@yahoo.com
    Collecting 1970-1979 PSA 9 & 10 Baseball Cards
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nam812 said:

92 different players have done it, including a father and son not named Bonds or Griffey.

Nam812 thanks for a,, the work you did on this. Have enjoyed all your nuggets on the subset of players. Of the 92 wonder how many are in the HOF. From some of the names revealed definitely a smaller percentage than I would have thought.

• Options
    edited October 20, 2021 1:02PM

@brad31 said:

...............Of the 92 wonder how many are in the HOF............

36 of the 92 players are currently in the HOF.

Edited to add: The player that just barely squeaked in is Ryne Sandberg with 40HR, 100 RBI and a .305 average in 1990.

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

@augustaman said:
    The first name that came to mind when I read the thread title was Yaz in 1967.

Agreed. That was his Triple Crown season. The other 2 recent Triple Crown winners Frank Robinson in 1966 and Miguel Cabrera in 2012 are part of this list.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2021 1:44PM

I remember the season Billy Williams had in 1970... MVP numbers but it was not to be

and Frank Howard barely missed in 1969 with a 296 average

• Options

I was expecting a closer ratio between HOFers and those on the outside looking in.... interesting

• Options

@coinkat said:
    I was expecting a closer ratio between HOFers and those on the outside looking in.... interesting

Well there are some players on the list that just arent in the HOF yet like Cabrera, Pujols, and Cruz.

There are also some players on the list with great numbers that may never get in like Arod, Bonds, Manny, Sosa, Palmiero, Ortiz, Sheffield, McGwire, etc....

There are also players that come up short in the eyes of the voters like Hodges, Colavito, Kluszewski, Juan Gonzalez, etc...

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    It is noteworthy as to who did not accomplish this... some pretty big names

My biggest surprise, at least so far, is Stan Musial. Stan the Man did pretty much everything else at one time or another but never hit 40 homers.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brady Anderson just barely missed - 50 homers, 110 RBI but a .297 average.

• Options
    dtsagent9dtsagent9 Posts: 69 ✭✭✭
    edited October 20, 2021 4:54PM

Juan Gonzales did it 3 times 1993, 1996, 1998.
    Gary Sheffield did it 2 times 1996, 2000
    Jeff Bagwell did it once in 1996

I guess 1996 was a big year for this, wonder why?

• Options

List of guys to do it in 1996

Juan Gonzales
    Gary Sheffield
    Jeff Bagwell
    Barry Bonds
    Ken Griffey Jr
    Mark Mcgwire
    Mo Vaughn
    Ellis Burks
    Ken Caminiti

• Options

@dtsagent9 said:
    ........Jeff Bagwell did it once in 1996......

Jeff Bagwell did not do it in 1996, and he did not do it once. He did it twice in 1999 and 2000.

• Options

@dtsagent9 said:

Juan Gonzales
    Gary Sheffield
    Jeff Bagwell
    Barry Bonds
    Ken Griffey Jr
    Mark Mcgwire
    Mo Vaughn
    Ellis Burks
    Ken Caminiti

It was actually 12 guys that did it in 1996:
    Albert Belle
    Andres Galarraga
    Barry Bonds
    Ellis Burks
    Frank Thomas
    Gary Sheffield
    Juan Gonzalez
    Ken Caminiti
    Ken Griffey Jr.
    Mark McGwire
    Mo Vaughn
    Vinny Castilla

• Options

@nam812 said:

@dtsagent9 said:

Juan Gonzales
    Gary Sheffield
    Jeff Bagwell
    Barry Bonds
    Ken Griffey Jr
    Mark Mcgwire
    Mo Vaughn
    Ellis Burks
    Ken Caminiti

Albert Belle
    Andres Galarraga
    Barry Bonds
    Ellis Burks
    Frank Thomas
    Gary Sheffield
    Juan Gonzalez
    Ken Caminiti
    Ken Griffey Jr.
    Mark McGwire
    Mo Vaughn
    Vinny Castilla

How did I miss Rockies players? They should have been the first guys I looked at. Those two guys and Larry Walker put up some big numbers during that run.

• Options

@nam812 said:

@dtsagent9 said:
    ........Jeff Bagwell did it once in 1996......

Jeff Bagwell did not do it in 1996, and he did not do it once. He did it twice in 1999 and 2000.

I stand corrected

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

@nam812 said:

@dtsagent9 said:

Juan Gonzales
    Gary Sheffield
    Jeff Bagwell
    Barry Bonds
    Ken Griffey Jr
    Mark Mcgwire
    Mo Vaughn
    Ellis Burks
    Ken Caminiti

Albert Belle
    Andres Galarraga
    Barry Bonds
    Ellis Burks
    Frank Thomas
    Gary Sheffield
    Juan Gonzalez
    Ken Caminiti
    Ken Griffey Jr.
    Mark McGwire
    Mo Vaughn
    Vinny Castilla

Looks like a different type list to me. Lots of chemicals and lots of weight lifting in that group.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

One could make an argument that the best season ever by a player in this category is…

It certainly has to be in the discussion; sure, Mickey won the MVP and AL triple crown that year but his totals were also good enough to lead BOTH leagues - American and National - in 1956.

A Major League Triple Crown is a truly rare feat, accomplished only by five players in baseball history: Ty Cobb (‘09), Rogers Hornsby (‘25), Lou Gehrig (‘34), Ted Williams (‘42) and Mickey Mantle (‘56).

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    One could make an argument that the best season ever by a player in this category is…......

Mantle isnt even close to having the best season ever in this category, and I love Mantle, but so many were better in this specific category. Too many to list actually, but here are a few not named Ruth.

Rogers Hornsby (1922) with 42HR 156 RBI .401 Average.
    Hack Wilson (1930) with 56 HR 190 RBI .356 Average.
    Gehrig (1927) with 47 HR 175 RBI .373 Average.
    Jimmie Foxx (1932) with 58 HR 169 RBI .364 Average.

• Options

@nam812 said:

One could make an argument that the best season ever by a player in this category is…......

Mantle isnt even close to having the best season ever in this category, and I love Mantle, but so many were better in this specific category. Too many to list actually, but here are a few not named Ruth.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion and you definitely make a good case.

However, to lead all of baseball in a specific year in this many (and this is just standard stats, there are also the advanced) stats are just a sea of bold in baseball-reference.com for Mickey in 1956.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

How come I don't see Mike Trout anywhere on this list? 🤷 🤔 😒

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 459 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread. The 1957 Roy Sievers season is interesting (42 HRs/114 RBIs/.301 avg.). Leads the AL in homers and RBIs, but falls short of winning the MVP (behind two guys named Mantle and Williams, who hit .365 and .388 respectively).

• Options

......However, to lead all of baseball in a specific year.....

You're basing it on what others in the league did, and that's certainly your right. I just can't imagine being a fan and saying "I hope Willie Mays goes 0 for 4 today so Mickey Mantle can be the best in both leagues."

I'd rather base it on only the hitters own accomplishments, not what other players in the league did or didn't do, but that's just me.

Hey, we both have our own opinions (as we've both said now), right? That's what makes being a fan great. I love baseball.

• Options

@nam812 said:

......However, to lead all of baseball in a specific year.....

You're basing it on what others in the league did, and that's certainly your right. I just can't imagine being a fan and saying "I hope Willie Mays goes 0 for 4 today so Mickey Mantle can be the best in both leagues."

I'd rather base it on only the hitters own accomplishments, not what other players in the league did or didn't do, but that's just me.

Hey, we both have our own opinions (as we've both said now), right? That's what makes being a fan great. I love baseball.

Yes, 100%.

No, I am not basing it on what others did but what Mickey did.

Year to year, era to era, it’s hard to compare guys. Do I think Aaron Judge and Pete Alonso had 50 HR seasons that were aided by juiced balls? Yes. Do I think the steroid year referenced above is telling? Yes.

However, within the confines of one season is the closest to a level playing field I think you’ll see despite the many variables contained therein. But I think it goes without saying that to lead all of baseball in so many statistical categories is very special, as evidenced by the absence of both Ruth and Bonds.

And again, Barry Bonds and Babe Ruth probably own most of the top 10 in terms of best single seasons. Hornsby gets one, very likely. However, the five guys who led all of baseball in the Triple Crown categories, for me, would be on the very short list for best single baseball season ever. Competing with Barry and Babe 😉

• Options

Also, of the 5 "super" triple crowns you showed, Gehrig's was better than Mantle's. ;)

Now back to put this thread back on topic.....

It's nice to see two men that I really feel belong in the HOF accomplish this. Gil Hodges did it in 1954, and Dick Allen did it in 1966.

• Options

And Rocky Colavito did it in 1958... He belongs in the HOF as well

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nam812 said:

You are certainly entitled to your opinion and you definitely make a good case.

However, to lead all of baseball in a specific year in this many (and this is just standard stats, there are also the advanced) stats are just a sea of bold in baseball-reference.com for Mickey in 1956.

It's pretty clear to me that Ruth's 1923 was better than Mantle's 1956, even if Harry Heilman hit .403. Not to say that Mantle was not an all-time great. In fact his 1957 might have been better than 1956. It just doesn't look quite as impressive because his IBB went from 6 to 33!

• Options

Here's a useless trivia question:

Who are the only 3 players (it's been done 4 times by 3 players) to have a 50+ HR, 150+ RBI and .350+ AVG season?

• Options
    PastaBoyPastaBoy Posts: 175 ✭✭✭

@nam812 said:

Who are the only 3 players (it's been done 4 times by 3 players) to have a 50+ HR, 150+ RBI and .350+ AVG season?

Babe Ruth - 1921/1927
    Hack Wilson - 1930
    Jimmie Fox - 1932

• Options

@PastaBoy said:

@nam812 said:

Babe Ruth - 1921/1927
    Hack Wilson - 1930
    Jimmie Fox - 1932

That is correct. We have a lovely set of mismatched luggage for you backstage.

• Options
    PastaBoyPastaBoy Posts: 175 ✭✭✭

@nam812 said:
    That is correct. We have a lovely set of mismatched luggage for you backstage.

Woot! Make sure it has pink polka dots and green vines strewn throughout! ;P

Only reason I know that is 'cause of the strat-o-matic league I've been in for 30+ years -- we have "immortals" and actives. Roster can have 11 immortals and 14 actives on it...of course all the all-time greats are in the league. :)