Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1916 Hermon MacNeil Pattern Design Standing Liberty Quarter

coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 19, 2021 4:23AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I think it’s kinda neat with the dolphins. And, I think it’s been discussed here several times before.
Any new sentiments towards his proposed original design?

For comparison this is mine.

Comments

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the dolphins, but I'm glad they moved "In God We Trust" off her drapery. It looks much more balanced on the wall.
    Overall, I think the final version is more pleasing to the eye.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it a lot.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also like the dolphins. It's too bad they weren't incorporated in the final design. And that's a very pretty 1924-S you have there.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the dolphins look amazing.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2021 2:04AM

Strange that his visage of dolphins is one with an angry look whereas normally they're shown smiling. His renditions resemble 15th and 16th century portrayals of 'sea monsters'.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those dolphins really look angry. :D
    I like the dolphins on the Pan Pac Expo commemorative gold dollar a lot more.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool design, but I like the one they went with better.
    @coinsarefun its MacNeil not McNeil.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

This looks like Dan Carr material, maybe with cheerier dolphins as per above....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

From all accounts, the type 2 SLQ is based on MacNeil's critique of what he saw of his design and the mint's rendering of it plus flaws in commerce. I do like both designs but there are some myths that built up over the years from the change.

A few excerpts from the most excellent book: VanRyzin, Robert R.. Fascinating Facts, Mysteries and Myths About U.S. Coins. I recommend everyone here to buy and read. It's the kind of book I wish more people would put out.

On Jan. 11, 1917, shortly after the coins entered circulation, MacNeil wrote to Von Engelken complaining that the coins as issued had "a resemblance to" a design he made the prior spring, one that he later “changed and modified considerably” with approval of the Mint director and the Treasury secretary. He was therefore surprised to see this discarded early modeling on the quarter in circulation.

McAdoo concluded, "I am sorry to have to ask for this change, but since the original dies were made the artist has found that they are not true to the original design and that a great improvement can be made in the artistic value and appearance of the coin by making the slight changes the act contemplates."

Under the heading "Miss Liberty Now in a Gown of Mail?" the editorial in the same issue of The Numismatist did question the intention of the designer in placing Liberty in the new covering, wondering if it had anything to do with the country’s movement from a state of "preparedness" displayed on the initial design to one reflecting its subsequent entry into World War I. Beyond artistic considerations, the only other concern raised in House and Senate debate over the design change was the coin’s inability to properly stack, a concern addressed in the redesign and likely of importance in the decision to grant the artist his concessions.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer the design with the dolphins... It added more 'art' to the design....something I feel is lacking on modern coins. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

If that version had been minted would collectors be concerned about having complete belly button? >:)

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t like it. The Dolphins look demonic and the words ‘in God we trust’ are too small.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's got to be another reissue?

As Miss Liberty looks like Smeagol on this one.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that a bird on the shield?

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:

I missed out on buying that cast by a few minutes when it was for sale at Heritage :(

If the current owner of it, whomever they are, had any sense they would contact me about making some strikes using that cast as a model ;)

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@TomB said:

I missed out on buying that cast by a few minutes when it was for sale at Heritage :(

If the current owner of it, whomever they are, had any sense they would contact me about making some strikes using that cast as a model ;)

First in line!

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Dolphin on the left is the one that looks angry.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

The cast appears to have a center mark to enable its use in the reduction machine.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the dolphins. They are a throwback, but are also just the style of the time, I think. Check out the reverse of the 1915 Pan Pac G$1 by Charles Keck:

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm finally a member of the club . . . . . . !

Woo Hoo . . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:
    I'm finally a member of the club . . . . . . !

Woo Hoo . . . . .

Z

I am going to have to find one of these. I have been distracted (in a good way) with a lot of DC material lately.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file