Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PEACE $ DOILY BIN ON EBAY

gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was surprised this sold for $300 as a bin but it's the first I have seen with the doily label.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1922-peace-dollar-pcgs-DOILY-/294471415518?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Comments

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Checked the certificate number and it returned the following error.

We're sorry, that certification number was not found. Please double check the number and try again

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

it is a bodybag. not even slabbed. Is it still considered a Doily?

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

It didn't sell for $300. a lower off was accepted.
    As the coin sold to a member here (and there was a thread on this one yesterday) it is not for me
    to reveal the price paid.

peacockcoins

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Plus it says PVC on the label

I suppose as an aberration someone might view it as interesting but not me.
    It’s all around a negative experience

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not for me

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting... I have not seen a body bag like that before.... Should be special for doily collectors. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

@vulcanize said:

We're sorry, that certification number was not found. Please double check the number and try again

I believe that is intentional. Just because it was bagged, it still gets a cert, even if not slabbed.

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rampage said:

@vulcanize said:

I believe that is intentional. Just because it was bagged, it still gets a cert, even if not slabbed.

But would it not defeat the whole purpose? Atleast it should say cannot grade or PVC damage or something because otherwise it could appear to be a counterfeit just like the fake slabs from China. Just saying. ;)

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's very cool - likely unique. :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    I think it's very cool - likely unique. :+1:

Thanks - that means a lot coming from the Master.

Tim

• Options

Plus the coin looks pretty good!
    Now that it is in hand, can the PVC be removed ( see it on the neck)? Is that Peace dollar a GEM otherwise?

peacockcoins

• Options

@braddick said:
    Plus the coin looks pretty good!
    Now that it is in hand, can the PVC be removed ( see it on the neck)? Is that Peace dollar a GEM otherwise?

Well, not quite in hand yet. Just shipped yesterday. I will examine the coin on arrival but this purchase was all about the uniqueness and exclusivity factor of the body bag. The coin is just a bonus.

Tim

• Options

I'm looking forward to seeing it.
    On a side note: it appears PCGS still 'bodybags' Morgans the same way today:

peacockcoins

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy the plastic not the coin?

Vplite99
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vplite99 said:
    Buy the plastic not the coin?

For people who collect coins in specific holders, how else might it work?

• Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pointfivezero said:
    Hi all - I'm the lucky member who purchased this body bag. I know it's not for everyone but as a collector of strange holders, I feel fortunate to own it. For the record, I offered $250 and my offer was accepted. I believe there may have been other (better) offers but I was the first to dive in and the seller acknowledged and honored my initial offer.

It's definitely unique. My max buy would of been around $125 but that's not really relevant.
    I am curious if the doily label is paper or a sticker type label that pcgs put on the flips when they body bagged.
    It is a cool piece of grading history.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pointfivezero said:
    Hi all - I'm the lucky member who purchased this body bag. I know it's not for everyone but as a collector of strange holders, I feel fortunate to own it. For the record, I offered $250 and my offer was accepted. I believe there may have been other (better) offers but I was the first to dive in and the seller acknowledged and honored my initial offer.

Congrats on the buy! It very well could be the only one and that makes it more rare than almost any other coin in a doily. Some will say it was pricey, but if you are happy and enjoy the unique, then be happy with a cool purchase!

• Options

@gtstang said:

@pointfivezero said:

It's definitely unique. My max buy would of been around $125 but that's not really relevant.
    I am curious if the doily label is paper or a sticker type label that pcgs put on the flips when they body bagged.
    It is a cool piece of grading history.

Thanks. I’ll do a complete autopsy when it arrives and try to fill in some of the blanks!

Tim

• Options

@U1chicago said:

@pointfivezero said:

Congrats on the buy! It very well could be the only one and that makes it more rare than almost any other coin in a doily. Some will say it was pricey, but if you are happy and enjoy the unique, then be happy with a cool purchase!

Appreciate it. I’m definitely happy with it and judging by the number of offers he received in the first hour of the listing, I feel pretty lucky as well.

Tim

• Options

It appears to also have the backside to the insert/label. I've seen where PCGS simply provides the insert with a bodybag. If so, I think it is extra cool and honestly- the price paid was a steal among the segment that collects these.

peacockcoins

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cant say that I have seen many (any) body bagged Doily Labels.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file