Home U.S. Coin Forum

What is the PCGS procedure for ensuring "First Day of Production" labeled coins were made on Day #1

Can PCGS guarantee (like NGC) that coins labeled "First Day of Production" were indeed made - and only made - on that day?
May 5, 2021 was, I believe, the first day of production for the ASE Type 2 coin.
19,000 ASE type 2 coins were made on May 5th. ( I think )
I have a PCGS coin - ASE, labeled by PCGS as First Day of Production Type 2 - how can PCGS assure me that my coin was actually made on May 5, 2021?
NGC website documents their chain of custody for such labeled coins.
I can find nothing similar from PCGS.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

Answers

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2021 9:05AM

It says "production" and not "issue"?

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

Call customer service.

Many happy BST transactions
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mmeg98 .... Welcome aboard. Actually, only the mint 'could' guarantee such a thing... Any other claim may be relevant based on packaging, but no one else was there to follow the 'coin(s)' from striking to the package. Cheers, RickO

• RickO,
    Thanks for your reply.
    Unfortunately - and nothing personal - but your reply raises more questions than it answers.
    Lets assume that everything you say is correct.
    OK,
    1. How do you explain the NGC definition - and documented chain of custody - for their label "FIRST DAY OF PRODUCTION" as used by that company on NGC products? (ref NGC website).
    2. How do you explain the APMEX (a major player in the USA coin market) advertising - currently running on Ebay - that specifically references May 5, 2021 as the actual FIRST DAY OF PRODUCTION for the 19,000 2021 ASE Type2 coins that they market as FIRST DAY OF PRODUCTION?

I want to trust everybody connected to this inquiry but I also want definitive statements made by suppliers verified.
    Please reply and point out where I am mistaken.
    Best regards, Michael

• ref - above

BELOW IS COPIED FROM THE NGC WEBSITE 5 MINUTES AGO...

(quote) NGC offers the First Day of Production designation for select coins that are struck on the first day that the mint begins production of that coin. To qualify for First Day of Production, coins must be received by NGC or an NGC-approved depository accompanied by a copy of documentation from the mint that confirms that the coins were struck on the first day of that coin’s production.

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're looking in the wrong place for the answers you seek. You need to contact NGC, PCGS, etc. directly. We on the forum wouldn't have the information you are seeking.

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2021 7:21AM

Welcome. Advance Release, their new silly thing “I got mine from a dealer who goes in 5 days early and gets em “ Trust seems to be the only answer. Not a good one. Here’s my take. Only dealers can do first day of issue and probably first release. I have many slabs with fdoi. I buy them because they sell for more. They cost more. Higher value. There is no alternative so I guess because their pretty liquid, I never gave it much thought.
    My thoughts. Thanks, I’ll give this some more time. 🤠

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mmeg98 said:
    Can PCGS guarantee (like NGC) that coins labeled "First Day of Production" were indeed made - and only made - on that day?

What would you accept as a guarantee? Both companies can claim that the coins were made on the first day of production based on their acceptance policies for the label but, as the coins made on following days are identical to those made on the first day, how would you prove what day any specific coin was struck once it has been removed from the original mint packaging? You have to trust that the grading companies are following their procedures and that the mint is accurate with their production data and product packaging.

• Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2021 9:35AM

@MasonG said:

@mmeg98 said:

What would you accept as a guarantee?

Both companies can claim that the coins were made on the first day of production based on their acceptance policies for the label but, as the coins made on following days are identical to those made on the first day, how would you prove what day any specific coin was struck once it has been removed from the original mint packaging? You have to trust that the grading companies are following their procedures and that the mint is accurate with their production data and product packaging.

It comes down to the integrity of the TPG. As an individual submitter, at PCGS, we can not get FDOI tags, only the big distributors that submit Monster boxes directly and are eligible for the FDOI designation.

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2021 5:04PM

Collect the slab not the label
    Collect the label not the slab
    Collect the coin not the fluff

Many happy BST transactions
  • BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

@mmeg98 said:

What would you accept as a guarantee? Both companies can claim that the coins were made on the first day of production based on their acceptance policies for the label but, as the coins made on following days are identical to those made on the first day, how would you prove what day any specific coin was struck once it has been removed from the original mint packaging? You have to trust that the grading companies are following their procedures and that the mint is accurate with their production data and product packaging.

How would you prove it? You can't. Therin lies the problem.

You just got to have trust .

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • If you ever see combined 19001 graded by all tpg's, you will know 1 is wrong

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file