Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Cracked out the 1928 peace into the album

moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought about it once twice and five times, then decided I'm never going to sell it, and I'd rather have it in the album.

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Comments

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

You got to do what you got to do. B)

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good for you. It’s your collection and do whatever you want.

• Options

@U1chicago said:
    You got to do what you got to do. B)

Easier to store this way... :wink:

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a nice set. It no doubt feels more "complete" this way. Congrats.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin! Looks like you got the complete set.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the label mounted under it.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a good home for it.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks nice in the album!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does look nice. Plus you just planted a seed and something worthy of a cherry-pick for a future gen.
    It’s always fun to find great looking coins in old albums.

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

I know the feeling. I cracked a PCGS AU53 to go in my Dansco. It sure feels, and looks, better that way!!!

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking coin too.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin, nice album..... Your choice, your collection. I would have done the same thing. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko you would have cracked it to give it a dip. Then put in an album.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    Russell12Russell12 Posts: 193 ✭✭✭✭

Please put the label on the reverse side? That is my OCD asking.

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

J/K, nice album.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund said:
    then decided I'm never going to sell it,

Never say never. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

A plastic died for your album

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Album collecting is on the rebound.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

Way to be. I like the ANACS label in a Dansco, It shows the care you took to archivally preserve your set.
    And it makes a good conversation piece.

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice collection. Looks better in the album than along side. I cracked out many in my 7070 sets.
    Congrats.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@Treashunt said:

Not only that, but this was the first slab I've cracked. I ended up sawing off 3 sides, and managed to nick my finger with the saw blade. Almost added a drop of blood to the ANACS label. Would my DNA help establish provenance?

• Options

@moursund said:

@Treashunt said:

Not only that, but this was the first slab I've cracked. I ended up sawing off 3 sides, and managed to nick my finger with the saw blade. Almost added a drop of blood to the ANACS label. Would my DNA help establish provenance?

Of course!

Provenance is important.

Next time, I once cracked out a coin with a vice, just tighten it until the plastic cracks, then go a little further.

The pieces fell apart.

Just be careful -- sometimes pieces of plastic fly off.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good ol' fashioned album right there....gorgeous coins. Crack em out!

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    I like the label mounted under it.

Me too. That's a great idea!

I never thought to do that.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

@Treashunt said:

@moursund said:

@Treashunt said:

Of course!

Provenance is important.

Next time, I once cracked out a coin with a vice, just tighten it until the plastic cracks, then go a little further.

The pieces fell apart.

I assume you mean with the vise squeezing the edges of the slab, not the front and back... ?

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund said:

@Treashunt said:

just use an angle cutter like the type that strips copper cables and make a couple cuts on the seams and the whole thing will pop apart.

• Options

@Crypto said:

@moursund said:

@Treashunt said:

just use an angle cutter like the type that strips copper cables and make a couple cuts on the seams and the whole thing will pop apart.

Yeah, I'll just get my "copper cable stripper-type" angle cutter, and uses that next time...?!? :tongue:

• Options

@Crypto said:

@moursund said:

@Treashunt said:

Do you mean diagonal cutters, or some power tool? I have the dikes...

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crypto said:

@moursund said:

@Treashunt said:

Agree, really it only needs one snip and those ANACS soap bars break pretty cleanly across. Wear safety glasses, plastic pieces can fly off.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

@ChrisH821 said:

@Crypto said:

@moursund said:

@Treashunt said:

Agree, really it only needs one snip and those ANACS soap bars break pretty cleanly across. Wear safety glasses, plastic pieces can fly off.

Hmm. Why was that modern cent in a slab in the first place? Isn't it worth about 1 cent? :wink:

am

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund said:

Hmm. Why was that modern cent in a slab in the first place? Isn't it worth about 1 cent? :wink:

am

;) Yeah, who would do that anyway?

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/39183915
    Craziness :)

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund said:

@Crypto said:

@moursund said:

@Treashunt said:

Do you mean diagonal cutters, or some power tool? I have the dikes...

Nope your dikes are the key to opening slabs

• Options

@moursund said:

@Treashunt said:

@moursund said:

@Treashunt said:

Of course!

Provenance is important.

The pieces fell apart.

I assume you mean with the vise squeezing the edges of the slab, not the front and back... ?

Absolutely!

Sorry for not mentioning that

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a great idea, putting the label under the coin!

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

To each his own. I crack out all my coins to put them in albums or air-tites so when I get the urge to hold or show them I can actually hold the coin rather than a chunk of plastic. While some of them have numismatic value none of them are super expensive or rarities (condition or otherwise).

Enjoy!

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file