Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1921 Morgan lamination or strike through?

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,893 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, I have this certain Morgan Dollar with many die cracks. On reverse and obverse. My question is about what's on the reverse @ 11:30. Would you guys consider this a lamination or a strike through?
I do detect a slight die clash behind the actual area? Maybe not? What do you guys think? Thank you.

Here is the area in question

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options

Looks like a lamination

Young Numismatist

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think it’s a strike through. Looks more like a planchet flaw/crack. If a layer of metal peeled off in that spot (a more severe form of what you see) you would have a lamination.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks suspicious.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I vote lamination.

• Options
    edited October 17, 2021 3:55PM

Die Clash?

Behind the possible lamination?

These Close up Pics

really do show the metal peeling!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    dagingerbeastttdagingerbeasttt Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭

Looks more like a strike through to me

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would feel a lamination with maybe a die chip. Interesting regardless.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2021 4:40PM

About a die clash - the 1 in the date seems to be close to that area.........

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    About a die clash - the 1 in the date seems to be close to that area.........

Very cool overlay. Yeah maybe? Or I was thinking the very point of her neck? Thanks buddy B)

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll go with lamination as well

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a tiny lamination. Like the die cracks a lot.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like there was/is a planchet impurity and lost during striking with the remaining defect the indication of where it was. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file