Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Serious dudes ? Discussed before but more insane.

JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was sure this was over done at $3600. I told myself the real winner is the bidder who bid $3500. I bought a beautiful MS65 $10 Lib. OGH and a MS63 No Motto Indian now much less than this insanity. Wait until the Chinese counterfeiters see this. https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/1053958/Undated-PCGS-Holder-With-Cricket-Remains-From-the-Fred-Weinberg-Collection

Comments

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2021 11:19AM

To each their own, not worth a plug nickel to me be but clearly worth much more to someone.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2021 11:00AM

Still TWO WEEKS to go........It may triple by then. LOL

SKY is the limit.

How fitting that it ends on HALLOWEEN.

Buy what you like..........I'm glad that someone will enjoy it ;)

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2021 9:37AM

While it is not my cup of tea, I'm sure whoever buys it will be happy with it. After all, think of how many wives/girlfriends of members on these boards think their significant other is nuts for spending X times face value for a coin.

I've spent over $5,000 for 1/4 pack of 50+ year old cigarettes. Of course, roughly 10 years after doing so, I was filmed with them in a TV show that was broadcast (over time) in roughly a dozen European countries including France and Russia, as well as shown later on Netflix in many countries around the world, including the USA.

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the listing…LOL

We would grade the cricket a solid MS-65 Full Head (Detached).

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nk1nk said:
    I would have been a buyer if it had a CAC sticker. Too risky without one.

Cricket Authentication Company?

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

I might like to think that the singing of the cricket could be soothing.
    Apparently not in this case!

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    Alltheabove76Alltheabove76 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Shows that some people in our hobby have a lot of excess money they need to be relieved of.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it’s funny but also worth only $5 to me…

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not for me.

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now we need a professional cricket player to sign an insert and add this to a registry! That would be the bees knees.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jessewvu said:
    Now we need a professional cricket player to sign an insert and add this to a registry! That would be the bees knees.

Only if said cricket player lost his head afterwards…

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2021 3:40PM

Now $5250!!

This is something that I would never, ever bid on but I find it fascinating to watch!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would pay for a nice cricket funeral.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry for being so blunt but...............

"you can't teach stupid".

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2021 5:03PM

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crazy. Lot of nice coins for that kind of money

• Options

@DoubleEagle59 said:

And if the buyer gets a sudden realization of “WTF did I do ?” when he gets it in hand what possible excuse can you come up with to justify a return ?

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2021 6:20PM

@JimTyler said:

@DoubleEagle59 said:

And if the buyer gets a sudden realization of “WTF did I do ?” when he gets it in hand what possible excuse can you come up with to justify a return ?

I think there's a very high probability that the "WTF did I do?" realization will happen. It would've made an incredible charity auction which would prevent that feeling when all is said and done.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 343 ✭✭✭

@tincup said:
    It furthers my belief that we are living in an age of unreason and insanity.

But to each their own. Maybe I am the insane one.

Welcome to clown world. Embrace the honk.

• Options

I wonder how brittle that bug is. Is it still worth nearly $6k if the postal ride turns it to dust ? That bug is nearly worth this

• Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can get a great 18th century coin, or a dead cricket. I wonder how often the winner will pull that slab out to enjoy the cricket. The real losers of this auction will be the 500 people that will have to pretend its cool at his coin clubs and get togethers.

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s certainly a conversation piece!
    With an entertaining back story as well.
    Look at all the discourse that taken place already.
    There’s something to be said for THAT.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

“It would've made an incredible charity auction which would prevent that feeling when all is said and done.”

Once it was linked to a particular owner (who obviously received it for free) there is no question in my mind that (a charity auction) would have been the “right” decision. All the back and forth between fellow error dealers about (and I am paraphrasing here)- “I offered $5,000”. “Owner wouldn’t take $5,000.” “Even though I offered $5,000, I think it is worth closer to $10,000”. “I might bid in the last 5 seconds”, etc., etc. Guys- hearts are in the wrong place on this one. Sorry.

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe the buyer was Professor 'Creepy' Crawley from The Big Bang show........................

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fitting the auction is ending on Hallows Eve.
    I’ve learned a long time ago to not judge how others spend their money. The are lots of questionable facets to this hobby. Your money, your right to spend it as you see fit. The Banksy
    shredded painting comes to mind.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing... I have seen this from time to time here.... and Fred had it for a long time. Certainly is an oddity. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Shouldn’t this thread

It’s not coin related.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2021 7:57AM

Jiminy Cricket!

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have felt, for years, that there's just too much money flying around in this country.
    Certainly inflationary, if nothing else.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2021 8:09AM
    1. Anybody watch auto auctions lately. Throwing money at cars I threw away. One mans junk another mans treasure.
    2. This is key ( I believe). Provenance and the right to show “the bug” at coin shows ,on Facebook ,etc
    3. How odd is spending money on a show car that sits in the garage. Not much different than coin collecting
    4. Finally. Collect what you like,eh. If a bug “ under glass “ rocks your boat, wonderful , I’ve seen fortunes wasted on recreational, ah, usage 😉

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thebeav said:
    I have felt, for years, that there's just too much money flying around in this country.
    Certainly inflationary, if nothing else.

People think that about coins too, like the 3000.

• Options

A great way to enjoy this is with a TrueView ;)

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zions- as discussed in the other PCGS thread on the world famous Fred Weinberg PCGS Cricket being offered in auction by GC…

Its already at $5250. with over 9k views.

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fred, this really bugs me. Ian, too.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Fred, this really bugs me. Ian, too.

Just don't lose your head over it. ;)

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2021 8:55AM

@JimTyler said:
    I wonder how brittle that bug is. Is it still worth nearly $6k if the postal ride turns it to dust ? That bug is nearly worth this

Yeah, but the bug is not conserved. It's natural.

• Options

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

@JimTyler said:

Yeah, but the bug is not conserved. It's natural.

He’s natural ??? His eyeball is sitting at the bottom of the holder. The rest of him to follow with a good shake. Remember bug that you are dust and dust you shall return.

• Options

@wondercoin said:
    “It would've made an incredible charity auction which would prevent that feeling when all is said and done.”

Once it was linked to a particular owner (who obviously received it for free) there is no question in my mind that (a charity auction) would have been the “right” decision. All the back and forth between fellow error dealers about (and I am paraphrasing here)- “I offered $5,000”. “Owner wouldn’t take $5,000.” “Even though I offered $5,000, I think it is worth closer to $10,000”. “I might bid in the last 5 seconds”, etc., etc. Guys- hearts are in the wrong place on this one. Sorry.

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin

Offer $5k worth closer to $10k you guys are the big shot market makers ? Whoever says 💩 like that has more money than they deserve. That is just stupid talk.

• Options

Zions- do you think that the winner is going to keep it or offer it for sale?

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... there was a dead moth in the last package strawberries I bought. Wrong plastic, I suppose...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's an uninteresting piece of nothing.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2021 3:20PM

Meaningful to about five people who were in on the joke.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks AT to me.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options

@Byers said:
    Zions- do you think that the winner is going to keep it or offer it for sale?

Depends. If Kevin wins it, it will be flipped for $100k!

• Options

Zions- that’s right. According to CoinWeek

‘ It was a Coin Vault customer that paid a reported $100,000 for the coin designated “First Coin Sold” by PCGS’.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    1. Anybody watch auto auctions lately. Throwing money at cars I threw away. One mans junk another mans treasure.
    2. This is key ( I believe). Provenance and the right to show “the bug” at coin shows ,on Facebook ,etc
    3. How odd is spending money on a show car that sits in the garage. Not much different than coin collecting
    4. Finally. Collect what you like,eh. If a bug “ under glass “ rocks your boat, wonderful , I’ve seen fortunes wasted on recreational, ah, usage 😉

When I'm not collecting coins, I'm collecting and mounting bugs under glass. The bugs pay for the coins.

3 rim nicks away from Good

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file