Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Waffled Coins PCGS graded

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen plenty of these where the coin is identified, yet there is no date. Did PCGS recently begin adding the dates to the labels, or have they always done so, and most of these are not identifiable as to the date?

What I've seen:

And now this:

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can sort of make out the date in the 10-11 o'clock position.

Waffled coins are neat.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can see parts of the date on the 2013

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

@privatecoin said:

Here's the TrueView:

peacockcoins

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stunning.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2021 9:55AM

@braddick said:

@privatecoin said:

Here's the TrueView:

Typo. My bad :*

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that an 'accidented hair' variety? 😜

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    CopperWireCopperWire Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

These are mint cancelled error tokens, not coins. They are not monetized.

• Options

@CopperWire said:
    These are mint cancelled error tokens, not coins. They are not monetized.

The slab says 50C...

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD Pass.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    PMD Pass.

just for the sake of conversation. is it the fact these are intentionally done? whereas die marriages/states etc that are often polished or possibly filed. no, that is intentional too. hmm not sure how to structure the question.

so i'll just ask this. where is the line you draw (if you are willing) for acceptable coins/errors/tokens etc that aren't prime die states with no sort of o/c, polish, crack, cud etc.

how about many of the "midnight special" monster "coins" out there?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@PerryHall said:
    PMD Pass.

just for the sake of conversation. is it the fact these are intentionally done? whereas die marriages/states etc that are often polished or possibly filed. no, that is intentional too. hmm not sure how to structure the question.

so i'll just ask this. where is the line you draw (if you are willing) for acceptable coins/errors/tokens etc that aren't prime die states with no sort of o/c, polish, crack, cud etc.

how about many of the "midnight special" monster "coins" out there?

Anything that happens to the coin once it leaves the dies can be considered to be PMD.

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    Anything that happens to the coin once it leaves the dies can be considered to be PMD.

ok. i will alter my usage of PMD to PSD since it is more apropos.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@PerryHall said:

ok. i will alter my usage of PMD to PSD since it is more apropos.

PMD is Post Mintage Damage. Once the coin leaves the dies, it's post mintage. PSD means the same thing so that will also work. :)

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    PMD is Post Mintage Damage. Once the coin leaves the dies, it's post mintage. PSD means the same thing so that will also work. :)

my understanding is that PMD means post-mint damage (once it left the mint, not left the dies) so PMD and PSD are different for that context but i have not seen an official definition for PDM, just the accepted usage.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always kind of wanted one of the martha Washington waffles. I feel they have a lot of upside to

• Options

@Crypto said:
    I always kind of wanted one of the martha Washington waffles. I feel they have a lot of upside to

George wanted one also, but Martha refused to make them for him once he had wooden teeth.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are interesting... However, not something I would acquire - personal choice, I know others collect these and errors. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund said:
    The slab says 50C...

Slabs say lots of things, some of them are even true.

The coin waffling came about because errors intercepted at the mint and sent to be melted were being diverted into the hobby. So the mint bought a machine to cancel errors before they were being sent to be melted. I've read that the mint doesn't care about waffled cancelled coins being diverted from the melting pot.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

@BStrauss3 said:

@moursund said:
    The slab says 50C...

Slabs say lots of things, some of them are even true.

The coin waffling came about because errors intercepted at the mint and sent to be melted were being diverted into the hobby. So the mint bought a machine to cancel errors before they were being sent to be melted. I've read that the mint doesn't care about waffled cancelled coins being diverted from the melting pot.

Can I have some waffled AGE please!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file