Home Sports Talk
Options

Darrelle Revis makes shocking admission

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the pressure of playing for the Patriots was too much for Darrelle Revis.

NFL World Reacts To Darrelle Revis’ Honest Admission

Despite winning a Super Bowl with the New England Patriots, former All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis recently admitted that he didn’t enjoy his time spent with the franchise.

“Nobody likes it in the locker room,” Revis said, via Audacy. “Just being honest, nobody likes it.”

Revis made that surprising admission while on the “I AM ATHLETE” podcast. Additionally, he compared his time with the Patriots to his long stint with the New York Jets.

“It’s just, it’s two different cultural philosophies,” he continued. “You know, Rex is a little bit more loose. He likes dogs, he wants you to go out there and play hard, run into a wall, that’s fine. But there’s a lot of news going on right now with Bill, in terms of him and Mr. Kraft, and there’s a lot of stuff surfacing right now. At the end of the day, the way that he runs his ship is a little bit different. But I do give him credit for winning so many Super Bowls and having the longevity to do it.

“When you play with the New England Patriots, there’s a lot of pressure every time you walk in the door because it’s a lot of tension, it’s a lot of noise going on in the background where, [with] how the team is [run], it’s unknown. You don’t know what Mr. Kraft is doing, you don’t know what Bill’s doing, you just don’t know.”

Though it shouldn’t surprise anyone, Patriots fans are not pleased with Revis’ remarks about the organization.

“I guess holding a Lombardi wasn’t enjoyable,” a Patriots fan replied. “Maybe you should have played with the Jets your whole career.”

“Not everyone can deal with the pressure to constantly win,” another fan wrote. “I get it. He didn’t like the constant tension. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.”

There are some Patriots fans, however, who are OK with Revis’ comments.

“I don’t get why people are coming at him for stating his personal opinion,” one fan said. “He didn’t enjoy it but clearly still played at an elite level, helped us win a title and then left, he didn’t have to enjoy it. I don’t get why anyone would get in their feelings about this.”

At the end of the day, Revis could’ve disliked his time with the Patriots while still appreciating the fact that he won a Super Bowl with them.

Besides, there’s a reason “The Patriot Way” is heavily scrutinized by current and former players.

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want to have fun playing football, go play in the Sunday afternoon church league.

If you want to win Super Bowls and be on a team competing to win a super bowl every year, play for the Patriots.

So sad that Mr. Revis didn't enjoy his time with the Pats and have fun in the locker room.

Boo.

Hoo.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2021 9:51AM

None of this was groundbreaking news, we’ve known for years that players feel this way about playing in NE with its military-esque atmosphere in that locker room.
    The funny thing is there’s always some player coming out and complaining about what it’s like playing for this team yet we never hear a word about how most of these same players leave for greener pastures.
    In most instances a player comes here,works his ass off as part of the TEAM and by the time he leaves NE he likely owns at least one SB ring to go along with a substantial pay raise from the new team he signed with.

The Patriot Way is nothing more than someone buying into this program, doing your job and eventually it will pay off for you, here or elsewhere.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish the Patriot way would become the Panthers way, then maybe we could actually become a great franchise. We're pure garbage, we need discipline instead of this crap, let's draw pictures of Panthers and make them into helmets!

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

So a player is upset that he’s not involved with running a team known almost exclusively for winning and that player is also upset that there is so much emphasis on winning which creates tension, accountability and pressure to perform.

That, my friends, pretty much sums up the modern athlete.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve said it before and I will say it again, during Brady’s tenure if I’m a veteran with financial security all buttoned up then I would absolutely have signed with the Pats to win a super bowl.

If I was being drafted or a new player in the league I would tell my agent that there is no way I’m playing for Belichick.