Home Sports Talk
Options

What's wrong with Mahomes?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Six interceptions already, that's as many as he had all of last season and more than he had in the entire 2019 season, definitely not the Mahomes we're used to seeing.

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think he'll be fine.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s not Mahomes it’s the team around him, the Defense is awful, the running game is not good and the O line got some issues. Kelce is north of 30 now, outside of Hill the WR’s are not that great. Am I missing anything?

• Options

@perkdog said:
    It’s not Mahomes it’s the team around him, the Defense is awful, the running game is not good and the O line got some issues. Kelce is north of 30 now, outside of Hill the WR’s are not that great. Am I missing anything?

I don't know if you are missing anything, but you are right. It's not Mahomes.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Chiefs haven’t spent a 1st round draft choice on the defense since 2015. So you spend all your wealth on an high powered offense that so unique no one knows how to stop them in 2019. Now you pay 3 offensive players big money and patch a defense together with late rounders and practice squad players and hope your offense can put score everyone.
    You put your offense in a bad spot. Playing catch up and eventually some mistakes will be made.
    On the other side of the ball McDermitt built a defense and then drafted Allen. No one on the defense is paid big bucks and Allen is the high paid player.
    Play 2 deep, let no one behind you and make KC dink and dunk down the field. Something will happen. Dropped pass, holding call. Frustrating sets in.
    So nothing is wrong with Mahomes. A solid defense on all levels is hard to beat. Plus the NFL has adjusted. Film and adjustments. Buffalo did not blitz once last night. Just laid back and waited for a mistake. Tip drill to a lineman. Interception.
    Top drill to a safety. Pick six. Yes Josh Allen balled out but the defense gets 40% of the credit. Leslie Frazier and Sean McDermitt get 40% for building a defense.
    Buffalo spent their 1st two drafts on DL this year. They knew the needs and addressed it.
    KC thought their problem was the OL. Total revamped it but OL can’t stop the run or defend passes.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

Mahomes commented on the situation after last night's game.

ProFootballTalk

Patrick Mahomes has to “reevaluate what I’m doing” after three turnovers Sunday night

The Chiefs fell to 2-3 in Sunday night’s 38-20 home loss to the Bills and their most prominent player wants the blame placed on his shoulders.

Quarterback Patrick Mahomes threw two interceptions and lost a fumble during the game, which marks four straight weeks with a turnover for a player who hasn’t been known for being sloppy with the ball. After the game, Mahomes said it was time to take a look at what he’s doing because his results have to change in order for the Chiefs’ results to improve.

“It starts with me,” Mahomes said, via Adam Teicher of ESPN.com. “It’s something I’ve not usually done in my career, but I have to reevaluate where I’m at, what decisions I’m making. I’ve been a crazier player as far as scrambling and making throws. But in my career I’ve never been someone who throws a lot of interceptions. I have to look at it now, reevaluate what I’m doing, and I have to cut it out.”

Mahomes has six interceptions on the season, which matches his total from last season and is one more than he threw in all of 2019. That’s been an unwelcome development in Kansas City and finding a way to clean things up is an essential part of pushing the team in a better direction.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

ProFootballTalk

Patrick Mahomes has to “reevaluate what I’m doing” after three turnovers Sunday night

The Chiefs fell to 2-3 in Sunday night’s 38-20 home loss to the Bills and their most prominent player wants the blame placed on his shoulders.

Quarterback Patrick Mahomes threw two interceptions and lost a fumble during the game, which marks four straight weeks with a turnover for a player who hasn’t been known for being sloppy with the ball. After the game, Mahomes said it was time to take a look at what he’s doing because his results have to change in order for the Chiefs’ results to improve.

“It starts with me,” Mahomes said, via Adam Teicher of ESPN.com. “It’s something I’ve not usually done in my career, but I have to reevaluate where I’m at, what decisions I’m making. I’ve been a crazier player as far as scrambling and making throws. But in my career I’ve never been someone who throws a lot of interceptions. I have to look at it now, reevaluate what I’m doing, and I have to cut it out.”

Mahomes has six interceptions on the season, which matches his total from last season and is one more than he threw in all of 2019. That’s been an unwelcome development in Kansas City and finding a way to clean things up is an essential part of pushing the team in a better direction.

Just another example as to why this kid is such a great guy, he shoulders the responsibility on himself rather than pussy foot around it and play the excuse/blame game

• Options

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

ProFootballTalk

Just another example as to why this kid is such a great guy, he shoulders the responsibility on himself rather than pussy foot around it and play the excuse/blame game

Yes, I just wish we had a quarterback like that in Carolina, a Brady, Mahomes, Allen, hell, I'd even tolerate Rodgers at this point, just give us a franchise quarterback, I've suffered for so long!

• Options

He’s a great kid and Kansas City should be proud to have him as the face of their franchise. About 31 other teams would love to have won a Super Bowl in the last few years. Look at Philadelphia. Their win was only 4 years ago. Seems like a lifetime and that franchise is a mess. If KC only wins that one, and it looks like it maybe a few years before they have a chance again, fans in KC should be overjoyed. Dynasty talk is just that. Talk

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    He’s a great kid and Kansas City should be proud to have him as the face of their franchise. About 31 other teams would love to have won a Super Bowl in the last few years. Look at Philadelphia. Their win was only 4 years ago. Seems like a lifetime and that franchise is a mess. If KC only wins that one, and it looks like it maybe a few years before they have a chance again, fans in KC should be overjoyed. Dynasty talk is just that. Talk

Listen, while you're here, might I propose a little trade? We'll give you Sam Darnold and a 10 year unlimited supply of King Size Reese's peanut butter cups for Josh Allen. Come on man, I'm begging you!

For:

• Options

Don’t give up on Sam because of 1 terrible half. The Panthers are 3-2 and still in the thick of things. He’s no Josh Allen but he’s better than 18 other starters. He’s only had 5 games and no CMC hurts. Run game in the second half would have easily won the game with a 15-3 lead.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    Don’t give up on Sam because of 1 terrible half. The Panthers are 3-2 and still in the thick of things. He’s no Josh Allen but he’s better than 18 other starters. He’s only had 5 games and no CMC hurts. Run game in the second half would have easily won the game with a 15-3 lead.

Ok, I'll be patient for now, but I hope you're right swami because I'm starting to have flashbacks of the Jake Delhomme era!

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@2dueces said:

Ok, I'll be patient for now, but I hope you're right swami because I'm starting to have flashbacks of the Jake Delhomme era!

Delhomme led them into a Super Bowl!

• Options

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@2dueces said:

Delhomme led them into a Super Bowl!

I'll give him credit for that, it could be worse, at least he didn't refuse to dive on a fumble in a Super Bowl. Oh god, the Panthers history is filled with so much pain!

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2021 12:19PM

it's called "The Law of Averages" and it rules the Universe.

things that are happening this season are the same things that have been happening in past seasons, they are just now "averaging out" and going against Mahomes instead of for him. in yesterday's game he threw a pass that went off the hands of Tyreek Hill and into the hands of the defender for a pick-6 in the third quarter. in the past two seasons, that same pass went off the hands of the defender and into the hands of Hill for a 60 yard TD. at another point in the game a bad snap went off Mahomes and the defense recovered the fumble. in the past two seasons, Mohomes recovered that ball and amidst the mayhem it caused he would throw up a "prayer" that found a receiver wide open downfield.

all debts must be paid. Patrick Mahomes is so far ahead of things right now that in order to pay his debt the road might get rough in the coming weeks. I sort of feel bummed out for him as they show the expression on his face walking off the field. not so for Andy Reid as he waits and throws a tantrum over something he doesn't like later on. Reid has used his influence with Referees too much for too long.

• Options

@keets said:

it's called "The Law of Averages" and it rules the Universe.

things that are happening this season are the same things that have been happening in past seasons, they are just now "averaging out" and going against Mahomes instead of for him. in yesterday's game he threw a pass that went off the hands of Tyreek Hill and into the hands of the defender for a pick-6 in the third quarter. in the past two seasons, that same pass went off the hands of the defender and into the hands of Hill for a 60 yard TD. at another point in the game a bad snap went off Mahomes and the defense recovered the fumble. in the past two seasons, Mohomes recovered that ball and amidst the mayhem it caused he would throw up a "prayer" that found a receiver wide open downfield.

all debts must be paid. Patrick Mahomes is so far ahead of things right now that in order to pay his debt the road might get rough in the coming weeks. I sort of feel bummed out for him as they show the expression on his face walking off the field. not so for Andy Reid as he waits and throws a tantrum over something he doesn't like later on. Reid has used his influence with Referees too much for too long.

So you're saying this is "The Twilight Zone", very interesting. 🤔

• Options

n, I'm just saying this is how the World works. it's sort of like an NFL version of there's no such thing as a free lunch. you've heard of that, right?? I mean, if I'm getting too deep for you I can s l o w d o w n a l i t t l e .

• Options

@keets said:
    n, I'm just saying this is how the World works. it's sort of like an NFL version of there's no such thing as a free lunch. you've heard of that, right?? I mean, if I'm getting too deep for you I can s l o w d o w n a l i t t l e .

Yes, it's ok, although I would have preferred this being in The Twilight Zone.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

i am with Keets on this one. Mahomes has had the shots falling his way for a long time now.

He also has a tendency to make things more difficult than they need to be in order to get attention I think. the no-look passes, jump passes, dropping down sidearm when it is not necessary. he is looking for style points and now he is starting to pay the piper for it.

his fundamentals could use some work. with all the hot-dogging if you notice, Mahomes motion is not very repeatable for him. he varies his motion so much that it is making him streaky. sometimes he will be really hot and hit a number of passes in a row. other times like last night, he cant get it all together. he likes to throw off balance and is want to drop that arm angle, again, I believe, for style points. he threw a number of passes at his receiver's feet last night. i don't think anyone want to "mess him up" but he really needs to work on his fundamentals and stop hot dogging. as he ages, and the physical gifts fade, that type of play will not age well.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

Mahomes is slipping because of 2 things. 1. Super Bowl Victory. 2. Super Bowl Loss. .... That's A LOT for a kid. Lol, he'll eventually recover after Brady Retires.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Read somewhere that Mahomes led the NFL in dropped interceptions last year. That jibes with my observations that he caught a lot of breaks last year. Well, this year those passes aren't getting dropped.

• Options

@Tabe said:
    Read somewhere that Mahomes led the NFL in dropped interceptions last year. That jibes with my observations that he caught a lot of breaks last year. Well, this year those passes aren't getting dropped.

Those two Sunday were balls that fell incomplete last year. The pass to Hill was right in his hands and tipped to Poyer for a pick 6. Not Mahomes fault.
    Rousseau is like 6’6” and a wing span of a jumbo jet tipped the ball to himself on a screen pass. Not a bad pass, just a great athletic play.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

Dropped interceptions is a very interesting take. Stuff usually evens out so it makes sense

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2021 4:40AM

in Mahomes' defense (pun very much intended), this is not being mentioned and it needs to be

squint and try to make out the team scraping the very bottom of the barrel, then move your eyes to the far right column. it says Kansas City Chiefs, and it says 32.6

"hey bruh, you've gotta go out and score 5 touchdowns today to give us a shot"

i don't care if your name is Mike Glennon or Patrick Mahomes -- that's immense pressure on a weekly basis

• Options

@galaxy27 It’s impossible to expect score 35 points a game. I’ll go back to their choices in the draft. No defensive players in the first round since 2015. That’s 6 years!! Smoke and mirrors and gimmicks only go so far. This NFL is geared on high powered, video game offenses but you have to get a stop once in awhile.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@Darin hasn't been around for two weeks.

• Options
    edited October 12, 2021 5:42AM

@thisistheshow said:

I think he disappeared last year for a bit, someone here put an APB out on him

• Options

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

Was he a big Chiefs fan. I missed where he’s been mentioned?

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

I put out that APB. Maybe another one is needed?
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1031718/checking-in-on-darin

• Options

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

He is as much of a Chief fan as I am a Pats fan and you are a Bills fan.

• Options

like most of us, Darin lives and dies with "his" Team.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

I honestly wouldnt blame him if he wanted to take a little time out for awhile. its not the most fun thing in the world to talk about your team when they are playing poorly.

I know when the Pats lost in 07, had I been on this board, I would have probably taken off the entire off season.
    the worst defeat a team of mine has ever experienced.

i guess I am still not over it.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    I honestly wouldnt blame him if he wanted to take a little time out for awhile. its not the most fun thing in the world to talk about your team when they are playing poorly.

I know when the Pats lost in 07, had I been on this board, I would have probably taken off the entire off season.
    the worst defeat a team of mine has ever experienced.

i guess I am still not over it.

Agreed but you got to take the Wins with the losses. Having tasted defeat it makes winning that much better.

I’m not saying Darin is or isn’t taking a break because of the Chiefs struggles but regardless Chiefs fans should keep their chin up, it’s early and they got this bright young man with the last name of Mahomes leading them

• Options

Bills lost to the Chiefs twice last year and I showed up Monday. But then again when your team loses 4 straight Super Bowls there’s not much that can bother you. 😂😂

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s not Mahomes. It’s a poor defense and a less than stellar offensive line. When you have run for you life on every play, it’s hard to throw well, although in Mahomes case, he comes close. I remember a couple of plays in the Super Bowl where Mahomes was almost on his back and managed to flip a creditable pass to the end zone.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?