Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A very impressive Brockage Error!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 11, 2021 3:46AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'm not normally a fan of brockage errors as the brockage tends to just leave an area on the coin which is illegible.

This, however, is a great exception. It has the year imprinted twice and the brockage looks perfectly placed as it leaves "REPUBLICA ... GUATEMALA".

Are there US brockage coins like this?

1888 Guatemala Quarter (25 Cents / Centavos) - PCGS VF30 - Ex. Richard Rossa and Stephen L. Tanenbaum

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that is unique.... Not sure about any U.S. coins like that. Some of the error collectors will be along soon... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Nice looking brockage. There are a lot of U.S. errors with this type of brockage. It occurs when something such as a fragment or an off-center is struck but instead of being ejected from the striking chamber, it "sticks" to the die. Another planchet is then fed in (the coin you have in the image) and is struck with the dies and coin or object that is stuck to the dies. The result has a coin with a brockage that is a perfect mirror in terms of its placement, of the opposing side (just as your coin is.)

www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2021 6:12AM

@SullivanNumismatics said:
    Nice looking brockage. There are a lot of U.S. errors with this type of brockage. It occurs when something such as a fragment or an off-center is struck but instead of being ejected from the striking chamber, it "sticks" to the die. Another planchet is then fed in (the coin you have in the image) and is struck with the dies and coin or object that is stuck to the dies. The result has a coin with a brockage that is a perfect mirror in terms of its placement, of the opposing side (just as your coin is.)

Hi Jon. Thanks for the explanation. I know what a brockage is, but many don't look like this to me. In general, the ones I tend to see with good impressions are the "full brockage" errors, not partial ones like this. And I don't actually see many US coin full brockage errors. The most full brockage errors I see come from other countries and Civil War Tokens.

Can you post some partial brockages that have good detail?

When looking at US coins, I often see fairly distorted impressions like the following:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file