Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is there any reason that a Morgan or Peace silver dollar would be subsequently silver plated?

Is there any reason that a Morgan or Peace silver dollar would be subsequently silver plated?
I have purchased in lots US silver dollars that appear to, at some point, to have been silver plated. The weight and measurements appear to be correct, and there a signs of wear under the "plating."
Was this ever a common practice to use old coins in jewelry, or?

Best Answers

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. Of course it is also common to plate fakes.

A lot of chromed 21 Morgans out there

• KeshequaKeshequa Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

Marketing to non collectors. People like shiny.

Buying and Selling coins for 54 years, 700+ shows in last 20 years, and boy am I tired.
    Purchased and Trademarked the Mohawk Valley Hoard
    Originated the Rochester (NY) Area Coin Expo

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

how can you tell they are plated and not polished?

Answers

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whizzed or plated, it's pmd. Melt. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why silver plate a coin that is already silver? It's probably been polished.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

They were usually chromed rather than silver plated for jewelry purposes.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@PerryHall said:

They were usually chromed rather than silver plated for jewelry purposes.

Makes sense since chrome won't tarnish like silver would. Perhaps it was in a bezel on a western style belt buckle.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in the 60’s for my parents’ silver anniversary I gave them matching silver dollar keychains and both dollars came plated. The salesman at the jewelry store said that this was so they would not tarnish.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Often saw plated silver dollars in buckles, belts and other jewelry when I lived in Texas and Arizona...Usually chrome plated to prevent tarnish. Coins are ruined for collectors when that happens. Cheers, RickO

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is also a possibility that they are some of the privately made "tribute" pieces made about 20 years ago for sale to the general public via mass advertising campaigns. They should say "COPY" on them somewhere.

All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file