Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Wow...1962 Mantle PSA-9 @ $315,000 and a 1953 Bowman Mantle PSA-9 at an incredible $472,000!

mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 9, 2021 10:25PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Mantle cards are doing very well in the Memory Lane Auction...

mint_only_pls

Comments

• Options
    farmboy27farmboy27 Posts: 24 ✭✭✭

Correct me if I'm wrong but, when looking at the bottom of the card, shouldn't that particular '62 Topps Mantle PSA 9 be considered a miscut with that much of the bordering card exposed? I realize that due to printing issues '62 Topps Mantles are plagued with bad top-to-bottom centering when cut "correctly" on the lines but for over $300,000 that bottom cut would bother me a little. . .

• Options
    edited October 9, 2021 10:22PM

I agree that I would expect the card not to have that cut line if I were paying $315,000 for a copy of this card. There were incredibly strong prices for high grade (PSA-9) Mantles in this auction...many record prices! A 1953 Bowman Mantle PSA-9 fetched $472,000!

mint_only_pls
  • Options

Another mind boggling price to catch my eye was a 1966 Koufax PSA-9 for ~$27,000...easily a record.

mint_only_pls
  • Options

The 1955 Bowman Mantle PSA-9 "2018 National Convention" also continues to hit new highs at $375,000. The collector who won it should have never sold it...good for him that he did not accept $50,000 at the show...but he did sell it for less than the recent sale price by a considerable amount. It is best to hold onto high end Mantles with the current rate of appreciation.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure what to say.... Mantle and PSA 9 apparently will produce amazing results.... Seems condition rarity is reaching new heights and it begs the question how mid range Mantles will be valued. Perhaps this is a just a reflection of activity of the few that are seeking the best and three will be a minimal trickle down effect in lower grades.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

I plan to hold and enjoy my entire collection into my retirement (not far away) given the unpredictable appreciation shown by the just completed Memory Lane Auction. Mantle cards in high end can be a life changer...

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

It will be minimal to zero effect on mid to low grade. The bidding war among two or three sticker collectors has no bearing; that type is interested only in that sticker, and so that is where their money will stay. The collectors buying the cards assigned lower grades will not suddenly start throwing more money than they normally would.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@farmboy27 said:
    Correct me if I'm wrong but, when looking at the bottom of the card, shouldn't that particular '62 Topps Mantle PSA 9 be considered a miscut with that much of the bordering card exposed? I realize that due to printing issues '62 Topps Mantles are plagued with bad top-to-bottom centering when cut "correctly" on the lines but for over $300,000 that bottom cut would bother me a little. . .

and then try finding one signed! 😉

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

I started buying mid-grade Mantles 2-6 a few years ago. While not record breaking, the return has been much better than anywhere else I would have invested my money. Mid-grade eye appeal cards seems to be selling for better than average.

Mike
  • Options

@mintonlypls said:
    The 1955 Bowman Mantle PSA-9 "2018 National Convention" also continues to hit new highs at $375,000. The collector who won it should have never sold it...good for him that he did not accept $50,000 at the show...but he did sell it for less than the recent sale price by a considerable amount. It is best to hold onto high end Mantles with the current rate of appreciation.

That card in particular is of interest to me. The whole world saw that card being "born" for lack of a better term. How many PSA 9's or 10's can we say that about? No concerns of any funny business with this card. $375,000 kinda seems like a deal considering what some other high grade Micks are going for.

• Options

Wow Brad that is awesome! I remember that card being pulled as well, but of course all the attention went to the Mantle. That's gotta be the cleanest 55B PSA 5 on the planet. Congrats on a great card!

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was working in the PSA booth at that National, which was very close to where that pack was opened. I can remember suddenly hearing a huge uproar but having no idea what it was about. Found out soon enough, though!

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.