Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Andrea Doria Shipwreck Money

FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 11, 2021 8:26AM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

Ok so it’s not coins, it’s bills, so this probably won’t last very long, but I saw it on IG going for $250 each and thought it was super cool that PCGS had encapsulated these singed shipwreck bills from the bottom of the ocean!

Comments

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shipwreck artifacts are fascinating. Nice display.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2021 12:18PM

$250 is a good price for the "B" grade IMO.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another Andrea Doria survivor....sounds like the premise of a Seinfeld episode. Neat artifact....I had a few of the gambling tokens from the Costa Concordia. You could see the sea water effects on the tokens. They originally gold in color the salt sort of washed out their shine.

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would buy that

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

What was in the steerage safe?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2021 1:04PM

@291fifth said:

What was in the steerage safe?

Sea water >:)

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Floridafacelifter said:
    Ok so it’s not coins, it’s bills, so this probably won’t last very long, but I saw it on IG...

What's IG? Instagram?

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Floridafacelifter So what's the scoopy doop on the thickness of the holder? Is it in an inert gas to keep the note from going poof! Inquiring minds want to know. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@Floridafacelifter said:
    Ok so it’s not coins, it’s bills, so this probably won’t last very long, but I saw it on IG...

What's IG? Instagram?

Yep you got it!

• Options
    earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Andrea Doria is supposed to be a super challenging dive. Deep cold water with lots of current.

@Floridafacelifter - Very cool artifacts indeed and the price is good!

• Options
    edited October 9, 2021 6:02PM

@Namvet69 said:
    @Floridafacelifter So what's the scoopy doop on the thickness of the holder? Is it in an inert gas to keep the note from going poof! Inquiring minds want to know. Peace Roy

No gas. It's a solid very hard plastic of some sort. The note & document are sandwiched in-between and they are cranked together with 4 bolts. There is a seal around the seam with a special PCGS logo tape. It's 1 3/8" thick and pretty heavy. Not at all cheap.

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 836 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's pretty cool! The shipwreck is near the coast of my hometown.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 Well that solves my query. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember the documentary well. Must have been 1981 or so. I watched so intently as a child, waiting for all the treasures to pour out of that safe. But, alas...only decaying paper money.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did my senior project for mechanical engineering on recovering the Andrea Doria off the bottom of the ocean. These dollars are pretty cool!

• Options

Coin vault has them for $199

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. Those silver certificates certainly went through tough conditions - and a long journey....Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Herb_T said:

Just took a look at that. They have free shipping too! But I'd want to see the one they're sending me in advance.

• Options

Moved thread from US Coin Forum to U.S. & World Currency Forum.

• Options

@ms70 said:

@Herb_T said:

Just took a look at that. They have free shipping too! But I'd want to see the one they're sending me in advance.

I will have to post a photo of mine….I am pleased.

• Options

I just gave a Zoom IBNS meeting titled "Banknotes Salvaged, Looted, or Lost from Shipwrecks". It mainly covers only banknote shipments from the printer to the country of issue. I recorded 34 ships with 67 different banknote issues running from 1840 to 1979. The article runs about 34 pages, so the IBNS Journal that will cover this starts in issue 2 this year & runs through issue 4.
    Here's a Seychelles note salvaged from the 1979 Aeolian Sky. There was 60,000,000 of these on board.

I too have a silver certificate and Italian 1000 LIre note entombed in the heavy Lucite, attributed by PCGS. Interestingly I found other Italian notes in Lucite with COAs like mine BUT no PCGS attributions. So, there is no PCGS tape along the edge which would make insertion of a different note rather easy....

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭

Any notes from the Titanic?

• Options

@Glen2022 said:
    Any notes from the Titanic?

I'm in Oklahoma, so of course I recorded an Oklahoma note salvaged from the Titantic!

Here's the YouTube video of the IBNS Zoom presentation, "Banknotes Salvaged, Looted, or Lost from Shipwrecks". It runs a little over 58 minutes. Sound quality could be better, but the images & info turned out fine.
    https://youtu.be/vbhcLItkAeQ

• Options

I have a framed set of three banknotes that are from the Doria Project , the very interesting thing is this framed item is Numbered 3/100 most were not numbered why I really don’t know , the last one I saw that was numbered went through a Christie’s auction in 2008 about 15 years ago it was 57/100 .
    Anyways I will be letting this item go eventually but it anyone know anything about why they were Numbered would be interested in knowing the reason and who did it

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2023 7:31AM

The DB Cooper notes, also certified by PCGS, have turned out to be an even more popular commodity. They are harder to find and sell today for considerably more than they did when first appeared on the market.

The Andrea Doria currency can still be found fairly easily and at reasonable prices. I presume that the supply of these was larger to begin with than the DB Cooper $20s.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have three available. One unopened is and two of the Italy. If interested pm me. I’ll give you a great price Jon

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    Ted 1Ted 1 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭

@sellitstore said:
    The DB Cooper notes, also certified by PCGS, have turned out to be an even more popular commodity. They are harder to find and sell today for considerably more than they did when first appeared on the market.

The Andrea Doria currency can still be found fairly easily and at reasonable prices. I presume that the supply of these was larger to begin with than the DB Cooper $20s.

That one pictured is one of the more "full" examples. They easily go for 11-12k and up now, regardless of the size of the remains.

Rare Nationals &
    Lowball Sacagawea Dollars (PO01-VF35)

--- SUCCESSFUL BST TRANSACTIONS ---
    braddick, Omegaraptor, JWP, EagleScout2017, OAKSTAR, Twobitcollector, boxerdad, OKCC, Fancycashcom, JimW, MWallace, Tookybandit, TeacherCollector, jeffas1974, mainejoe, kansasman, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Soldi, Histman, CurrenSee, jclovescoins, Outhaul, Timbuk3, LEMONHEAD_PENNY, daverickey, Maxcrusha, RedSeals