Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

69-70 Topps bbk pack with West and Havlicek showing! 86 Fleer four Jordan showing! Good investment?

Thinking to invest money on wax packs and boxes that have star cards showing for a long time.

This pack and box might be a good investment?

1969-70 Topps bbk pack with Jerry West and John Havlicek showing
https://goldinauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=118222

1986 Fleer Jordan showing box
https://goldinauctions.com/1986_87_Fleer_Basketball_Sealed_Unopened_Wax_Box__-LOT97517.aspx

Comments

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

I think both are a great investment 1986 Fleer is the top set to own and 1969 packs are fairly scarce especially with 2 HOFs showing. 👍

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are some 69 Topps BKB pack rip vids out there and if you hit a good run of centering the cards come out amazing.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    CardGeekCardGeek Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2021 7:55AM

How can they say that the fleer box is unopened and say that they know there are 4 Jordan stickers showing? It sounds like they're saying they looked at all the packs. Can't you tell if a Jordan is in the pack based on the card showing?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CardGeek said:
    How can they say that the fleer box is unopened and say that they know there are 4 Jordan stickers showing? It sounds like they're saying they looked at all the packs. Can't you tell if a Jordan is in the pack based on the card showing?

With a very strictly collated product like 86 Fleer, inspecting the packs is the way to determine if the box is original or not as all boxes should contain a certain number of stickers distributed per box.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@CardGeek said:

You are correct they “opened” the box to confirm it had the right 4/3 sticker collation before wrapping it up.
    And yes if you can see the front card (not the back sticker) on the pack you can tell if there’s a Jordan inside.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

That tallboy pack looks beat up to me. I would proceed with caution.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    SammyCSammyC Posts: 112 ✭✭

@Cakes said:

I kind of disagree. 69-70 Topps are extremely rare and it is BBCE certified, that's all it matters I guess. I rather invest on unopened materials that are deemed to be untampered with than getting packs that have all four corners are sharp but have been resealed. I have heard many GAI packs have been resealed but BBCE is definitely a way to go! But I appreciated of the feedbacks. Thank you.

$4k plus juice is a steal so far.

• Options
    edited October 20, 2021 3:25AM

There was a "1969/70 Topps Basketball Unopened Ten-Cent Wax Pack – GAI EX 5" which was in much worst condition sold for $19500 early this yr. And a full box that sold for almost half a million, I guess this BBCE pack won't go cheap, possibly $20k+?? Hopefully i can get it below that price! Wish me luck

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

What’s your max bid? I’ll bid 19999.98 if your willing to go 20k.
    If that helps

• Options

@SammyC said:

@Cakes said:

I kind of disagree. 69-70 Topps are extremely rare and it is BBCE certified, that's all it matters I guess. I rather invest on unopened materials that are deemed to be untampered with than getting packs that have all four corners are sharp but have been resealed. I have heard many GAI packs have been resealed but BBCE is definitely a way to go! But I appreciated of the feedbacks. Thank you.

$4k plus juice is a steal so far.

I have no concerns about authenticity just the quality. I would be worried about the corners.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

"I have no concerns about authenticity just the quality. I would be worried about the corners."

Agree and also top and bottom cards seem OC Tb.

• Options
    edited October 19, 2021 10:19AM

I personally don't expect those top/bottom cards would be able to get PSA10, due to corners touching the wrapper, wax/gum stains/scratches etc. But it is cool to have star cards showing to guarantee some valuable cards are inside. Buying wax packs pretty much should expect 10 common cards inside but pack like this one would at least guaranteed pulling 2 key cards from it. (Well, if I am lucky enough to win it, i don't plan on opening it anyways)

.... just my thought

• Options

how much would it cost to authenticate packs like this anyways? anyone knows?

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

@SammyC said:
    how much would it cost to authenticate packs like this anyways? anyone knows?

You would need a time machine to go back 15 years when gai did authentication. The bbce wrap is as good as it gets nowadays for these tall boys.

• Options

I was told many GAI packs are actually bad (has tampered with before and still got encapsulated)

• Options

Is that pack not yours? Are you planning on buying it back?

• Options
    tkerstingtkersting Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

@handyman said:

If true the OP needs to disclose this.

Also GAI pack authenticity depends on what “era” graded the pack. In general earlier serial number 100 and 101 tend to be better than later serial numbers. Saying that “many are bad” just isn’t true in my experience especially with early serial numbers.

• Options

The GAI 5 that sold for 19000 had the a Lew Alcindor rookie showing. Why leave that out if you are hoping to buy this pack.
    Not cool.

• Options

Are you saying this West and Havlicek showing pack worth much much more than $20k? since that Alcindor showing pack only has one star showing, in much worst condition and still sold for $19k?

• Options
    edited October 20, 2021 3:28AM

@tkersting said:

@handyman said:

If true the OP needs to disclose this.

Also GAI pack authenticity depends on what “era” graded the pack. In general earlier serial number 100 and 101 tend to be better than later serial numbers. Saying that “many are bad” just isn’t true in my experience especially with early serial numbers.

not my pack, but i rather wish I own that 86 Fleer box. LOL

• Options

@SammyC said:
    Are you saying this West and Havlicek showing pack worth much much more than $20k? since that Alcindor showing pack only has one star showing, in much worst condition and still sold for $19k?

No we are saying the Kareem is the Top Dog! Are you seriously comparing Hav and a West card 8 years after his rookie season to a Karrem rookie.

This thread is getting odd, earlier you mentioned getting a PSA 10 which says a lot because you don't buy this pack expecting to be able to get a PSA 9 and you hope and pray you get some PSA 8's.

Either way like all packs they are a gamble, and if you win the bid I hope you hit big time. Scared money has never won.

• Options
    edited October 20, 2021 7:51AM

I think the 4500 its going for is the highest most would pay. 20k is a pipe dream.
    Seems some are trying to pump and dump this pack. Yet you are pumping your own hope to buy it?
    Very odd and I do think the pack is yours.

• Options

hope it will be mine...

• Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 468 ✭✭✭

The people on this board are being very nice to you.

• Options
    edited October 20, 2021 8:50AM

thx for all the advices, I will stay quiet and not disclose any bid amounts to confuse/frustrate anyone next time. Sorry Team!

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

$20910 plus shipping and possible sales tax. Did you win?

• Options

I was stupid and disclosed my bid and I feel I got shilled. :(

• Options

@SammyC said:
    I was stupid and disclosed my bid and I feel I got shilled. :(

Does seem like the pack sold at full price but hope you enjoy it. 2 HOF showing is a real treat.

….I wonder what a Wilt showing rookie pack would sell for these days?

• Options
    edited October 26, 2021 7:43AM

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1064308/octoberfest-of-cards-show-your-pickups#latest

That is a nice looking Kareem. I focused on key rookies of him, Brown, and Aaron for years and have seen a lot of cards, unless I am missing something, like the smudge near Milwaukee, or a small crease that I cannot see it is under graded. IMHO that is a fine example that took a ding under the recent modern grading scrutiny.
    That exact example of card is why I would have avoided the recent 1969 Topps Tallboy unopened pack with West and Havlicek showing that sold at auction for 20K. Unless you somehow hit a PSA 8 or above Hav in addition to a Kareem PSA 6 or above, or some other PSA 9 star you would lose money if you opened the pack.

• Options

@Cakes said:

That exact example of card is why I would have avoided the recent 1969 Topps Tallboy unopened pack with West and Havlicek showing that sold at auction for 20K. Unless you somehow hit a PSA 8 or above Hav in addition to a Kareem PSA 6 or above, or some other PSA 9 star you would lose money if you opened the pack.

Yes almost certain to lose money opening the pack and grading the cards Inside, but that’s not why you’d buy this pack in the first place. The value is in the rarity of it being an unopened pack with 2 HOFs showing.

I own a few 1986 Fleer basketball packs with Charles Barkley showing on the front. The Barkley cards are most certainly ruined because the gum sits on top the pack but there’s only 10 example of these packs making them worth much more than a plain Fleer pack.