Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mantle Card question

If you had to choose one Mantle card (Excluding rookie and pre 1954 Mantle cards), which Topps year would you choose and which do you like best? I am leaning towards 1960 as it has a look that is different with decent graphics. Seems no collection is complete without a Mantle for those that lived through part of his card. I remember the NBC Saturday game in 1968 when Mantle homered opposing Detroit pitcher Denny McLain... the last 30 game winner.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the best legacy card might be a 1969 Topps #500 White Letter variation. It’s a really sharp looking card, it’s still pretty affordable and it has his completed career statistics on the back. Plus, they’re a little scarcer than their Yellow Letter counterpart and are tough to find nicely centered and with no tilt meaning you can take your time and find one right for your collection…

…but I can also say he’s got lots of beautiful cards from 1956-69 and I am a sucker for a nice looking low to mid grade card…so here’s some other visuals…

…and finally, if you want to go with one of Mickey Mantle’s combo cards, I have always loved the Managers Dream card of 1962. I mean, how often are five Hall of Famer’s on one card?

(L to R in background are Elston Howard, Ernie Banks, Hank Aaron)

With Mickey, there’s no bad choice:

Good luck

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 6, 2021 9:31AM

The white squatchee on the hat makes it more likely that the player between Mick and Willie is a wearing a Dodger cap and not a Cub cap. It's likely #8 John Roseboro, one of the 1961 N.L. All-Star catchers. The piping on the jersey around the neck points to a 1961 Dodger jersey, as well. Cubs jerseys of the period had the tight blue and red ring around the neck.

• Options

@countdouglas said:
    The white squatchee on the hat makes it more likely that the player between Mick and Willie is a wearing a Dodger cap and not a Cub cap. It's likely #8 John Roseboro, one of the 1961 N.L. All-Star catchers. The piping on the jersey around the neck points to a 1961 Dodger jersey, as well. Cubs jerseys of the period had the tight blue and red ring around the neck.

Nicely done!

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

I've said this before, Tim, but I absolutely love that 1969 Topps white letter Mantle of yours!! Love the centering.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Options

@judgebuck said:
    I've said this before, Tim, but I absolutely love that 1969 Topps white letter Mantle of yours!! Love the centering.

Thank you, David.

Yes, with how low Topps production standards were in 1969 coupled with people not ‘sleeving’ pack pulled cards, the surviving cards that are well centered, have no tilt and have retained some eye appeal are often tougher to find than people think, with or without the print variant which probably makes it even a little tougher.

I was excited to land it and I’m still quite happy it’s part of my collection.

• Options

My favorite is the 68 Topps. I love Aaron's of that year also.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

‘58 World Series Batting Foes for me.

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

58 Batting Foes and 56, 57 for me.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

…and finally, if you want to go with one of Mickey Mantle’s combo cards, I have always loved the Managers Dream card of 1962. I mean, how often are five Hall of Famer’s on one card?

Not to nitpick, but when did Elston Howard go into the HoF, or even come particularly close?

• Options

@daltex said:

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

Not to nitpick, but when did Elston Howard go into the HoF, or even come particularly close?

Man, I suck… 😎

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium

Nice cards... just curious... how do you think your 1960 would grade? And if it is graded now, how did it turn out?

• Options
    edited October 7, 2021 6:10AM

@coinkat said:
    @1951WheatiesPremium

Nice cards... just curious... how do you think your 1960 would grade? And if it is graded now, how did it turn out?

I think it’s deserving of a 3. Therefore, 2.5-3.5 would be my expectation.

ETA: I will say that I’m at the point in my collecting journey where I am just really hard on my cards because I know PSA will be, too. The 1960 is a beautiful card and I’m much more concerned with the look of a card than its potential grade. That is me, though, and not everyone.

• Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

1956 or 1969.

2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2021 8:16AM

So this is where we need to open up the discussion for those that choose to participate as to my question and it seems fair game... so lets make this educational for those... myself included... might like this card at a higher grade. I was thinking 4 to 4.5

My observations are as follows:

Is it age and wear/dirt streaks or is it ink and as made? I see it as ink... but I am looking at an image and not the card which places me at a significant disadvantage.

The corners don't look that bad... There is no significant discoloration at the white borders... the centering looks better than average.

I my view, its about surfaces and that gloss that remains which is next to impossible to capture in a image. If there are no remaining signs of a gloss/sheen then maybe my view of 4-4.5 is optimistic. I am almost tempted to grade cards in the form of dollars... instead of holding a card to what some might consider an unreasonable standard. I suspect with the subject card, that is already being done

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I especially like the 57 topps. Modern size and crisp clear photograph. for some reason, i have never liked "painted" images on cards.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

1959 is my fav.

• Options

The answer to this question will depend on what type of budget you have. As you know, Mantle cards can get up there. The good news is no matter which one you ultimately choose you just can't lose with a Mantle card!

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 460 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always been draw to the 1966 Topps. I like the card design, the red/black/yellow color mix, with the classic stance in Yankee Stadium. Even the trivia on the back is very cool. And if cost is a concern, its a bit more affordable than the 50s cards and easier to find in higher grade.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you had to choose one Mantle card (Excluding rookie and pre 1954 Mantle cards), which Topps year would you choose and which do you like best?

That's an easy question to answer,
    I'd pick or choose: 1968 Topps Posters Mickey Mantle Box Cut Out PSA 5
    You guys know on which one I'm talking about; Yep the one that 51 Wheaties has.

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

1966 is a classic design and one of the more affordable options.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

You mentioned that you were leaning toward the 1960 Topps. IMO that would be a good choice. Very attractive card from the middle of his career. You could pay a little more for the 1957 Topps, or pay a little less for the last card, the 1969 Topps, which has his complete career stats on the back.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Options

@coinkat said:
    So this is where we need to open up the discussion for those that choose to participate as to my question and it seems fair game... so lets make this educational for those... myself included... might like this card at a higher grade. I was thinking 4 to 4.5

Is it age and wear/dirt streaks or is it ink and as made? I see it as ink... but I am looking at an image and not the card which places me at a significant disadvantage.

The corners don't look that bad... There is no significant discoloration at the white borders... the centering looks better than average.

I my view, its about surfaces and that gloss that remains which is next to impossible to capture in a image. If there are no remaining signs of a gloss/sheen then maybe my view of 4-4.5 is optimistic. I am almost tempted to grade cards in the form of dollars... instead of holding a card to what some might consider an unreasonable standard. I suspect with the subject card, that is already being done

@coinkat said:

Well, it seems then that we are in agreement. I am also much more interested in the looks and the price of a card rather than the grade, potential or otherwise, that it receives.

The ‘smudge’ below the name looks like rubber band damage and it creates a small crease back center.

I’m not the type to hide this stuff; quite the contrary. For me, this a beautiful example and I’m proud of the acquisition.

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium

That’s a beautiful 69 white. Seems very hard to find centered.

In no particular order:

56, 57, 60 and 69 are my favorites. Have all of them and sending them in to get graded (but not the 69 trimmed. Landed two 69 yellows in recent weeks that look to be 5s or 6s. One is perfectly centered, but MC on back ☹️)

• Options

@NeverSawMantle said:
    @1951WheatiesPremium

That’s a beautiful 69 white. Seems very hard to find centered.

In no particular order:

56, 57, 60 and 69 are my favorites. Have all of them and sending them in to get graded (but not the 69 trimmed. Landed two 69 yellows in recent weeks that look to be 5s or 6s. One is perfectly centered, but MC on back ☹️)

Thought 4 was low but also probably accurate. Corners are kinda soft. Wish eye appeal mattered more as it kills many higher grade cards but alas, there’s not much credence given to the overall aesthetic, it seems…

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium
    think it looks great…a 4 in the white variation is pretty valuable. I know you’ve had it for a while…it’s definitely a keeper!

• Options
    edited October 14, 2021 2:38AM

@coinkat

I was looking through this old thread and wanted to offer that I think ‘63 is nice, too, and a decent bang for buck because it’s nowhere near the most popular (see all posts above). He won his final MVP in ‘62, with the card designs and color scheme having a real 60’s vibe to it…

…and it was also self subbed if you want to guess the grade. 😁

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

4, mabe 4.5. bottom right corner . centering is very good. But being Mantle, they are going to grade it tough(IMO). The card really looks good.

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium

In terms of design and look, I like the 60 over the 63. Your 63 is nicely centered and seems something in the 4-5 range seems reasonable. I like it. Seems the green edge bottom may not help with grading... similar to the 1953 topps cards. The slightest issue is magnified because of the color.

• Options

@1959
    @coinkat

Sharp eyes…

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had several copies of this card over the years in varying grades, raw and graded. I finally decided to settle down with this one. Lower grade eye appeal Mantles are going for significant premiums.

Mike
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2021 2:56AM

@ndleo said:
    I have had several copies of this card over the years in varying grades, raw and graded. I finally decided to settle down with this one. Lower grade eye appeal Mantles are going for significant premiums.

My ‘56 is almost there; little ripples dead center and by last name…

• Options

@coinkat said:
    @1951WheatiesPremium

In terms of design and look, I like the 60 over the 63. Your 63 is nicely centered and seems something in the 4-5 range seems reasonable. I like it. Seems the green edge bottom may not help with grading... similar to the 1953 topps cards. The slightest issue is magnified because of the color.

Tell me about it! There’s no place for a corner to hide on these…😂

• Options

Great image of card that has obvious and significant wear. But in looking at a card like this, one can look at the intended end user and still look at it with a sense of optimism in that it could look worse. I like the card... and of course I do not own a 53 Mantle