Home Q & A Forum
Options

1982 George Washington half dollar

I happened to find this particular piece among my collection while taking pictures. None of other pieces are like this.
What you can see on his head, is it some sort of damage or production error?
I’d appreciate your input.

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Parttimeseller99 Can you take it out of the plastic holder and give us a close focused pic? Might be a strike thru but it's not clear enough. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like something contaminated the surface and overtime it's corroded

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Parttimeseller99 said:
    None of other pieces are like this.

That's a good thing, since I think it is a carbon spot or other impairment.

• Options

Thank you for your answers.
    I suppose it is some kind of damage.
    I can’t seem to take it out of the case. This is the better pic.

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it possibly on the inner side of the coin capsule?

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Break out your pocket knife, those airtites can be snug. Anything going on the rev? George's melon is not a Gorbachev but it does resemble Australia. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

There’s a seam there somewhere

I use a dull utility knife blade to open them.

Do not try to clean it.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oar injury.
    Crossing the Delaware can be dangerous. :D
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...