Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Wow! A BRASS Feuchtwanger Cent!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2, 2021 9:52PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Amazing. First time I've run across a Feuchtwanger Cent in brass!

Photos courtesy of charlelibb1.

Comments

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it for sale????

OINK

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

I think an XRF test would be in order. It could be brass, but it also has an appearance that makes me think it is the normal Feuchtwanger composition but with a gold wash (thin guilding) added later.

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2021 10:56PM

Without getting into to much trouble and not even looking it up this auction to make sure…….
    I’m fairly certain who the seller is. Far be it from me to tell people to not buy from this dealer as I would not. Almost, not all of his items have been messed 9th one way or another. And pic’s are always juiced.

If you look in previous sales you will see the token sold for around $450 I believe.
    Reason I know is I was going to bid on it but was unsure if it would slab or not and would need
    to be a MS 62/63 to buy it at that price it sold.

PS that’s toning, not that much but it’s toning

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm. If it's brass then it's not his "composition". :/

• Options

@coinsarefun said:
    Here show you mine with he yellowish type of toning. It’s much more subdued.

Love the Red, White and Blue on that one.

• Options
    edited October 3, 2021 12:39AM

@dcarr said:

@Zoins said:

I think an XRF test would be in order. It could be brass, but it also has an appearance that makes me think it is the normal Feuchtwanger composition but with a gold wash (thin guilding) added later.

Agree an XRF test would be useful.

Are any others known?

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2021 1:41AM

Do not be fooled. This token is totally messed with, either physically or digitally, like all of this seller’s coins. He’s a known juicer/flipper. Just take a look at his other eBay offerings if this coin doesn’t convince you—wear your sunglasses, proceed with caution, and judge for yourself.

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does look as if the 'silver color' is showing through on those pictures... so either gilded or tarnished and enhanced photo's... as mentioned a few times above. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw that as well, and it intrigued me because obviously Feuchtwanger had his very own composition in which he struck coins.
    So something in brass would be very interesting.
    As others have noted, the seller's pictures are often not representative of the piece in hand. So I suspect this brassy look is just some effect from the photography

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

Possibly improperly cleaned and lightly plated in the process. While I was at ANACS we once got in a $20 Lib (something in the 1870's) that appeared to be in Copper-Nickel from the Proof dies. Copper strikes are listed in Judd. Specific Gravity right for either composition. Studied the thing for hours before finally calling the submitter and asking him what he knew about it. He said basically "Well, it was copper colored before I dipped it in some old Jewlluster...." He silver plated it.
    TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    Possibly improperly cleaned and lightly plated in the process. While I was at ANACS we once got in a $20 Lib (something in the 1870's) that appeared to be in Copper-Nickel from the Proof dies. Copper strikes are listed in Judd. Specific Gravity right for either composition. Studied the thing for hours before finally calling the submitter and asking him what he knew about it. He said basically "Well, it was copper colored before I dipped it in some old Jewlluster...." He silver plated it.
    TD

LMAO. POTD. And I never use acronyms accept the first one :D

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not brass just toned with photos which are heavily juiced.

Most examples seen such as this spent some time in PCI slabs who along with ANACS graded Feuchtwangers decades before NGC and PCGS.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also one thing I noticed when experimenting with different lighting types when photographing Feuchtwanger cents. Even with the white balance adjusted both OTT and LED lights tend to embellish any toning on German Silver. They tend to emphasize color that you do not see under natural sun light or halogen lighting. My own Feuchtwanger cent under the first two light sources was heavily greenish yellow as when shot under halogen just goldish gray.

Yet again the seller of the example in the OP is using LED and does not have his white balance adjusted. I've had a few friends purchase exonumia from him and nothing unless white metal in hand looks as in his eBay listings.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file