Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The time Laura's head exploded!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 3, 2021 9:07PM in U.S. Coin Forum

1880-S Morgan Dollar - PCGS MS68+ CAC - Ex. Sunnywood, Northern Lights

"The ultimate toned Morgan-ever!" per Laura.

Laura purchased this coin twice, once for Sunnywood and once for Northern Lights. The Northern Lights collector wanted this so bad, he told Laura "pay what it takes!"!

Laura wrote:
"THE GRANDE DAME---MY HEAD EXPLODED"

THE ULTIMATE TONED MORGAN-EVER

Here is the description from our Sunnywood Auction October 2014:

"One of the highlights of Sunnywood's "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" toned Morgan dollar collection; an extraordinary and record-setting example of an otherwise common date; this technically superb monster features an intensely toned obverse with blues, pinks, and true gold, miraculously paired with lustrous classic vertically banded rainbow toning on the reverse. The left-to-right toning progression on both sides corresponds perfectly directionally, indicating that the two-sided toning likely formed simultaneously during decades of Mint bag storage. The obverse occupies a narrower band of the color progression than the reverse, showing that the air flow characteristic across the surface was different for the two sides. Perhaps the reverse lay facing up in the Mint bag, but the coin was propped up at the rim, thus allowing limited air flow across the obverse as well. The coin had the exact same appearance when it was sold at auction in 1983, proving that the toning is highly stable and formed naturally over a long period. Ex RARCOA, Auction '83 (7/83:1182); held in one collection for 23 years; ANR, New York Connoisseur's Collection Sale (3/14/06:1147). Legend Numismatics represented Sunnywood on this acquisition, and paid $23,000.00 in 2006. Even if you don’t plan to bid on this incredible coin, you simply have to see it. Good luck!"

The Northern Lights Collector had to have this coin. We can tell you waiting for the sale got him totally stressed as he wanted it that badly--just like Sunnywood instructed Legend, the Northern Lights collector said "pay what it takes!" He paid $35,250.00. We can only hope this coins next home will cherish and appreciate this unbelievable GEM as much as its previous owner who clearly were connoisseurs of the very finest toners! Good luck. We do expect a record to be set on this piece.

Out of respect for the entire Northern Lights Collection-this piece, the unquestioned FINEST in the set was chosen by us to be fitting ending to one of the greatest groups of toners ever sold. We will miss this coin and all the Northern Light pieces.

Comments

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll have to settle on a copy of the photo.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin. Coins like these inspire me to want to dabble in Morgan dollars but coins like these also deflate my enthusiasm for Morgan dollars because I'd never spend 35k on a coin. It's the good, the bad, and the beautiful. :)

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

Incredibly nice coin! I wonder if it would have fetched more if it was in its original holder? I would also like to know the history behind the grading of this coin, as in how many resubmittals it took to obtain MS68+.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1Mike1 said:
    Beautiful coin. Coins like these inspire me to want to dabble in Morgan dollars but coins like these also deflate my enthusiasm for Morgan dollars because I'd never spend 35k on a coin. It's the good, the bad, and the beautiful. :)

The picture doesn’t do it justice. And the last time around it fetched $62k

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:

@1Mike1 said:

There is no doubt this is one to own. If I announced I was going to spend 35k on a coin, my living conditions would probably become the next episode of Snapped. :D

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2021 7:33AM

@1Mike1 said:

@tradedollarnut said:

@1Mike1 said:

There is no doubt this is one to own. If I announced I was going to spend 35k on a coin, my living conditions would probably become the next episode of Snapped. :D

Just tell yourself you're spending $15K for each side of the TrueView, or $31K for each side in this latest round ;)

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just because you put syrup on something doesn't make them pancakes.

peacockcoins

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did she grow a new one or just use gorilla glue?

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can apricate the beauty of that Morgan.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

@291fifth said:
    In the end it is just another pretty but common date Morgan.

Common date
    Uncommon color
    Uncommon condition

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin indeed but I like my Christmas tree Morgan even more! i also bought it from Laura and it was also from the Sunnywood collection. But also a much lower grade and cost as well.

Laura has seen so many of these wonderfully toned Morgans that I wonder how she can remember them all.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Inspired70Inspired70 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭✭

My head also exploded when I got my hands on this coin. It is simply stunning. Nicest Morgan I have ever seen. Actually like it better than "the Moose" owned by Aurora.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2021 1:02PM

If this coin were to show up on TV news, millions would flock to numismatics overnight! She is a true expert and connoisseur of coins.

• Options
    edited October 2, 2021 10:54AM

@Inspired70 said:
    My head also exploded when I got my hands on this coin. It is simply stunning. Nicest Morgan I have ever seen. Actually like it better than "the Moose" owned by Aurora.

The Sirna Moose and the Grand Dame are both top notch coins.

What do you like about The Grand Dame better? Would love to compare them in hand!

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Inspired70 said:

That is high praise knowing some of your super rainbow Morgan’s…I was concerned there may be some in-hand visible marks on the cheek, which might not fit with a 68+ grade…but they could also be toning spots. Better than The Moose?? Wowsa I like to see this one in-hand too. ⭐️

• Options
    edited October 2, 2021 11:36AM

Here's the Sirna Moose for comparison owned by AB.

@AuroraBorealis What a great coin you have! Have you seen and are you able to compare this with The Grand Dame?

Another set of photos from Brandon @poorguy .

• Options
    Inspired70Inspired70 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Inspired70 said:

What do you like about The Grand Dame better? Would love to compare them in hand!

I believe the Moose has more noise on liberty's cheek and a scuff or some kind of mark on the obverse at three o'clock. The reverse has better toning on the Dame and even though the toning on the Moose is awesome, it is very difficult.to find the pumpkin orange color on the Dame in such consistency and that vibrant. Let's be clear, both coins are spectacular either in True View or in hand, but for the above reasons I like the Dame.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad I wasn't there.

• Options
    edited October 3, 2021 10:05AM

@Inspired70 said:

@Zoins said:

@Inspired70 said:

I believe the Moose has more noise on liberty's cheek and a scuff or some kind of mark on the obverse at three o'clock. The reverse has better toning on the Dame and even though the toning on the Moose is awesome, it is very difficult.to find the pumpkin orange color on the Dame in such consistency and that vibrant. Let's be clear, both coins are spectacular either in True View or in hand, but for the above reasons I like the Dame.

Thanks for the response and it makes sense. I've always been fascinated by the multiple colors on the Moose, but pumpkin would be a great color to see.

• Options
    edited October 3, 2021 12:34PM

@wondercoin said:
    On the Oreville theme, I prefer two-sided US (roughly same era) toned coins that cost 1/30th the price!

Wondercoin

That is a wonderful coin and I do like it a lot, but I wouldn't tend to compare them. Notably, it is smaller (more akin to a half dollar) and the colors are more standard. What makes Morgans special is that colors on these coins don't often show up on other types. I have seen some Pesos with more unusual colors that I would compare more. For example, Justin had a toned Peso that was like a sea green that I liked a lot.

• Options
    edited October 3, 2021 10:26AM

The prices for this is coin is pretty incredible going from $23,000 in 2006, to $35,250, and $61,688 in 2017.

Does this place it in the top 1% of coins with increasing values?

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

is anyone else getting a DNS error for legendauctions?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

Yep I also got an email from Legend saying they were working on fixing it.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2021 12:17PM

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

They sent the above email yesterday (website has been down since some point Saturday).

• Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

=

I may be in the minority here, but I do not like the look of many of the "Northern Light" Morgans.

Read into that as you will.

The one referenced above is hardly what I would consider "The Ultimate Toned".

The obverse is blue and brown. A wise dealer once told me to avoid "blue and brown", and I have ever since.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2021 12:32PM

@jerseycat101 said:

I may be in the minority here, but I do not like the look of many of the "Northern Light" Morgans.

The obverse is blue and brown. A wise dealer once told me to avoid "blue and brown", and I have ever since.

The obverse doesn’t look blue and “brown” to me.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    edited October 3, 2021 2:27PM

@MFeld said:

@jerseycat101 said:

While not "brown" technically, it's multiple ambiguous shades of orange and yellow that verge on brown.

Which are generally less appealing (in my opinion) than a true rainbow toner.

Just my opinion :smile:

Edit: Interestingly enough, several coins matching my "blue and brown" description were posted as replies since the OP.

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had a very colorful Morgan that my LCS guy thought somebody took a blow torch to it.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2021 4:11PM

Zoins. Here is Justin’s First Year Peso (pop 1/0). It is a great color coin to be sure (and nearly identical size to a Morgan $1).

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    Zoins. Here is Justin’s First Year Peso (pop 1/0). It is a great color coin to be sure (and nearly identical size to a Morgan $1).

Wondercoin

You’re making me want to start a set of Philippine/U.S. coins.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jerseycat101 said:

@MFeld said:

@jerseycat101 said:

While not "brown" technically, it's multiple ambiguous shades of orange and yellow that verge on brown.

Which are generally less appealing (in my opinion) than a true rainbow toner.

Just my opinion :smile:

Edit: Interestingly enough, several coins matching my "blue and brown" description were posted as replies since the OP.

I wouldn’t liken it to blue/brown AT pattern, but I’m inclined to agree that it is not that attractive.

• Options

@vulcanize said:
    Had a very colorful Morgan that my LCS guy thought somebody took a blow torch to it.

Just goes to show when you start a thread on a $60k coin, you never know what to expect!

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2021 8:24PM

@Zoins said:
    Just goes to show when you start a thread on a $60k coin, you never know what to expect!

LOL.

That was a tongue in cheek response to the post right above mine mentioning blue and brown and the subsequent deluge ;)

@jerseycat101 said:

• Options
    edited October 3, 2021 8:31PM

@wondercoin said:

Wondercoin

That one looks ok to me from the photo, but could be very nice in hand.

I wonder if Justin knows the sea green Peso I'm talking about. It would be great to have his pics of it.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jerseycat101 said:

Having held the coin in my hand, you’re completely out to lunch…

• Options

@tradedollarnut said:

@jerseycat101 said:

I'm sure its nice, but its not the ultimate toner as described by OP. I would expect full spectrum toning, like the Sirna moose posted later on, but thanks for the unnecessary cheapshot.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:

@jerseycat101 said:

Which is, of course, the entire point. It can be very difficult to evaluate a coin, especially toning, from online images.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like a lot of these "super toned" Morgans. That one I do like.
    Also note the leading zero of the cert number- That coin used to be in a rattler or OGH.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    edited October 7, 2021 8:02AM

@daltex said:

@tradedollarnut said:

@jerseycat101 said:

Which is, of course, the entire point. It can be very difficult to evaluate a coin, especially toning, from online images.

Which is why some auction houses have been adding videos which is nice!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Here's the Sirna Moose for comparison owned by AB.

@AuroraBorealis What a great coin you have! Have you seen and are you able to compare this with The Grand Dame?

Another set of photos from Brandon @poorguy .

I believe this to be the prettiest Morgan ever. Or at very least, top 5...

• Options

@ChrisH821 said:
    I don't like a lot of these "super toned" Morgans. That one I do like.
    Also note the leading zero of the cert number- That coin used to be in a rattler or OGH.

The Sirna Moose has an 8 digit number now, but it also had a 7 digit number before as listed above. I've seen 4 different cert numbers for the coin.

• Options

For $200, I think I got a lot of coin and toning for my money:

• Options

@asheland said:

Great price and a lot of nice color on that one!

Nice old holder too! You should get a 7 digit TrueView through the holder :)

• Options

@Zoins said:

@asheland said:

Great price and a lot of nice color on that one!

Nice old holder too! You should get a 7 digit TrueView through the holder :)

I've considered it, A true view would be fitting for it, that shot is on the seat in my car in indirect natural light. :D
    But I would definitely leave it in the old 1989 holder. The holder is absolutely flawless.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file