Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Found old rusted cap gun need help identifying

found it in the yard about 6-8 inches down.

https://ibb.co/LQmsQL3

Comments

• Options

@AUandAG said:
    Most coin guys aren't up on cap guns.....now if you found a Smith and Wesson, 357, that might be different.

bob :)

yeah im sorry i just realized i was in the wrong categorie, any way a moderator or someone can move it?

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2021 5:50PM

Our cap gun guru @ricko should be along soon once he awakens from napping :)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

haha thanks broad. i'm thinking its an old paper buster, but not sure the exact make. thanks for being kind even though i was in the wrong category :D

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum. This can be moved to the MD forum.
    I’d be interested in hearing how old the house is and what else is there !

• Options

@DNADave said:
    Welcome to the forum. This can be moved to the MD forum.
    I’d be interested in hearing how old the house is and what else is there !

thank you for the welcome,

i currently rent a house, homestead built in 1840's sitting on 52-53 acres of farmland and woods. souther part of michigan.

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

That could be holding some good stuff. Underneath the clothesline, on the way to the outhouse, fence lines, etc. etc.

• Options

@DNADave said:
    That could be holding some good stuff. Underneath the clothesline, on the way to the outhouse, fence lines, etc. etc.

original out house is still standing :p

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

That look like it may be just a 'toy' gun, as opposed to a 'cap' gun. It appears to be simply pressed metal with rivets holding it together. It probably made a click noise when the 'trigger' was depressed.
    Kind of like these......https://odo-7.top/ProductDetail.aspx?iid=51583840&pr=32.99

• Options

that does look pretty similar, i think thats what it might be! or at least the same variety

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JTMcC said:

@AUandAG said:
    Most coin guys aren't up on cap guns.....now if you found a Smith and Wesson, 357, that might be different.

yeah im sorry i just realized i was in the wrong categorie, any way a moderator or someone can move it?

Is there a gun category I missed?

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭✭

XF Details

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you found Roy Rogers Ruger.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

Likely not the original outhouse. Might be close to the original though. Outhouses were used well into the 60's. Eventually health departments cracked down on them requiring septics or cesspools. If you can locate the original outhouse locations and get the owners permission, they are great digs with often great finds that fell in or got tossed in (like bottles).
    Check with a detector around large trees where couples would sit in the shade an eat a snack or their lunch while farming, etc. Check rock wall and rock fence lines with a detector for hidden stashes of coins. Whatever, make sure you have the owners permission first and an agreement that if you find anything of value how you will split it with them.
    good luck searching....

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JTMcC .... Just post it on the Metal Detecting forum... Interesting find... and that property will likely have a lot more to offer. Good luck.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck... I have been up since quarter to five (Eastern time)... Always up early... and late to bed....Too much fun this experience called life... Don't want to miss it while sleeping. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file