Home U.S. Coin Forum

Two coins in my core collection I think about more often then any others...

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 30, 2021 3:02PM in U.S. Coin Forum

The only time I ever used a credit card to make a coin purchase was when AMEX had a special points promo. Purchasing the following two mint errors below yielded me enough AMEX points for a free Weber gas grill. I think about these SLQ's every time I'm grilling :D

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alright, I'm hungry now. Thanks.

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are special, those are the type I suspect the next generation of collectors will appreciate more than they currently do and they are already appreciated.

Thank you for sharing

• pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

They look like they fell on the grill. Nice crusty edges :).

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

SLQ errors are very rare! Congratulations!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

And I notice the second one is toned... 🤔

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not enough point for a Genesis?

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the top one. Nice coin 🙂

• jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey, I make grills!
    Trying to figure out how many points one like this would run..🤔

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are two very nice coins!

Why not use a credit card more often? As long as you pay it off, the benefits outweigh the costs in many cases (especially for online purchases like eBay and many other auction houses). There are some cards that give you 3% cash back (up to a certain limit) and others give you 5% back one quarter of each year. That is often more than the cash discount price (and is certainly better in places where there is no cash discount price).

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichieURich said:
    SLQ errors are very rare! Congratulations!

Thanks both are from the famed Conway Bolt collection of mint errors Fred sold in 1974.

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@U1chicago said:

Why not use a credit card more often? As long as you pay it off, the benefits outweigh the costs in many cases (especially for online purchases like eBay and many other auction houses). There are some cards that give you 3% cash back (up to a certain limit) and others give you 5% back one quarter of each year. That is often more than the cash discount price (and is certainly better in places where there is no cash discount price).

Cash is still king in this hobby and I can get the same % discount when negotiating a price using it.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@U1chicago said:

There are many good reasons which have been explained before in this forum.

Bottom line, if you go to any big city you can see huge buildings owned by the banks built by the people who thought they could beat the banks on interest and fees. After all, no one gets a credit card with the idea of paying 25% interest forever.

@Broadstruck said:

@U1chicago said:

Cash is still king in this hobby and I can get the same % discount when negotiating a price using it.

Fair enough; I guess it depends where you are buying. With many of my purchases being via PayPal (mostly through eBay) or on Stacks/GC, there is no cash discount or not enough of one to make it cheaper than using the card.

@daltex said:

@U1chicago said:

There are many good reasons which have been explained before in this forum.

Bottom line, if you go to any big city you can see huge buildings owned by the banks built by the people who thought they could beat the banks on interest and fees. After all, no one gets a credit card with the idea of paying 25% interest forever.

I guess it depends on how disciplined you are. I don't pay any interest on my cards as they are paid off each month (I just collect the rewards-which can add up over a year into a new purchase). Meanwhile, I also collect the interest on the money sitting in the bank that will pay off the card at the end of the month (although that is only a few cents in these times of close to zero rates).

• DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

@U1chicago said:

My discover card gives quarterly 5% cash back for certain things, which they also match at the end of the year. This quarter, the promotion was “restaurants and PayPal”. I pay it off as soon as the transaction posts. Needless to say I’ve been using my discover card very often lately. 😁

@DeplorableDan said:

@U1chicago said:

My discover card gives quarterly 5% cash back for certain things, which they also match at the end of the year. This quarter, the promotion was “restaurants and PayPal”. I pay it off as soon as the transaction posts. Needless to say I’ve been using my discover card very often lately. 😁

That's what I meant. You can use these specials to your advantage and save more than the cash price. Most people that take credit cards only save 3%-3.5% by taking cash/checks. So giving a bigger discount for cash is unlikely to happen (unless it is some seller that just doesn't want to take any credit cards, for certain reasons).

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

To get back on topic... I frequently think about my $5 gold Indian (1909D) and my V75 ASE.... Special coins to me. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file