Home Q & A Forum

1990 D cent - clipped or cut (PMD)

JWPJWP Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found this cent when i was searching rolls from the bank. It has a very clean edge - but it appears to be rather straight and not curved. Is this a clipped cent or just one that someone c

ut with a press?

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

Comments

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD

Somebody cut it. The blanks are copper plated AFTER the zinc is punched out of the sheet, so if it was a true clip, the edge would be plated. Seeing the exposed zinc tells you it happened after it left the mint.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • JWPJWP Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had that thought too. The straight cut also made me think PMD too Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Jon

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just to add, there are straight clips, but as stated above this isn't one.

I did not know that clips could be curved or straight too. Appreciate your comment. Thanks, Jon.

When the punched holes in the strip overlap, you get a planchet with a curved clip. When it is the end of the strip, for example, you get a straight clip.

And if the edge/end of the strip is not even and straight it can be a ragged clip.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    When the punched holes in the strip overlap, you get a planchet with a curved clip. When it is the end of the strip, for example, you get a straight clip.

And if the edge/end of the strip is not even and straight it can be a ragged clip.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

Thanks all you guys for the information. I never expected to get these great comments. Thanks again, Jon.

Great illustration!

Notice the opportunities for multiple kinds of clips on one coin.

Thanks, pictures are not my strong suit. The DM4 electronic microscope that i bought off Ebay for $35 gets all the credit.

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Done on a metal shop shear.

Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...