Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just sharing my Liberty Head Mintmark Registry Set (Just cracked the top 10)

RedSealsRedSeals Posts: 278 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 30, 2021 3:25PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Here is the intro to the folder below...all coins are PCGS Gold Shield Secure with Trueviews and CAC

Some notable aspects of this set:

-Ranked number nine at the time of completion (Septemeber 2021)
-3rd ranked set with all coins CAC
-Ranked number 1 with all CAC using a no motto NOLA...and its not 1844-O :)
-Nothing from the 1900s (with the exception of the Denver)
-3 coins from the famous Fairmont collection - Philly, Denver, and CC

The last piece to this puzzle was the C-mint. My daughter Charlotte was born earlier this year, so this was to be the centerpiece. Finally secured an excellent coin from Doug Winter.

Here they are, let me know what you all think!

Album = https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/u-s-coins/gold/liberty-head-5-gold-mintmark-set-1839-1908/album/250752

Successful BST Transactions with: PerryHall, MrSlider, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Blu62vette, robkool, gowithmygut, coinlieutenant, Downtown1974, MilesWaits, Shrub68, justindan

Comments

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice set. Hansen has the top 3 spots! I am in the top 15 sets. I originally had my set in an old Capital Plastics holder.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, I like MM sets.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice set. I really like the S mint coin.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool set, the CC looks very nice for the grade.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2021 2:59PM

@RedSeals said:

The last piece to this puzzle was the C-mint. My daughter Charlotte was born earlier this year, so this was to be the centerpiece. Finally secured an excellent coin from Doug Winter.

I see what you did, there. "Honey, we named her Charlotte. Now I have to buy this coin." Well played.

Edit: A very nice set, too! Congrats on both accounts.

• Options
    edited September 30, 2021 3:43PM

@messydesk said:

@RedSeals said:

I see what you did, there. "Honey, we named her Charlotte. Now I have to buy this coin." Well played.

Edit: A very nice set, too! Congrats on both accounts.

Thank you and YES that absolutely happened :D

Successful BST Transactions with: PerryHall, MrSlider, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Blu62vette, robkool, gowithmygut, coinlieutenant, Downtown1974, MilesWaits, Shrub68, justindan

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s important to read the full title. I thought you had cracked these out of the slab! Then I’m thinking “no way” and went back to read the heading again :). C’s are tough. Kudos to Doug.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 840 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a fantastic accomplishment! Very nice to see the coins all lined up as such.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful group of coins, really one to be proud of.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2021 6:33PM

High achievement that you should be proud of.

You have selected some fine examples.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a cool set! Too bad the West Point mint hasn't issued a Liberty Head $5 yet...

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent set, congratulations on the completion!

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2021 7:18PM

It is cool to have examples from all the different older US mints in the same denomination.

The rank of the set does not matter to me.
    But I know people like to compare themselves to others at times.

Do you plan to have children named Carson, Denver and Dahlonega at some point? :smile:
    My uncle has a son named Carson who was conceived in Carson City.
    This sort of thing would add more adventure to the concept? :)

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's really a neat goal of putting together a set of coins from all seven US mints in the same series..

• Options

@yosclimber said:
    It is cool to have examples from all the different older US mints in the same denomination.

The rank of the set does not matter to me.
    But I know people like to compare themselves to others at times.

Do you plan to have children named Carson, Denver and Dahlonega at some point? :smile:
    This sort of thing would add more adventure to the concept? :)

I hear you on the ranking and when I set out to put this together I really was more interested in gathering nice coins than scoring more points. While typing the ranking info in the digital album and then even in the OP I admitedly made myself groan a bit at the mental gymnastics I had to do for the rankings within rankings. That all being said it adds another layer of friendly fun to it certainly considering the added difficultly of PQ coins in better dates makes the "competition" of it more satisfying. Yes, the keeping up with Jonses aspect can be cringe with regards to registry but I had fun doing it.

No more kids on the horizon, but maybe name the next one if it happens "Full Date Run of Draped Bust Eagles" so I can tell the wife WE HAVE TO GET THEM :D

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yosclimber said:

Not numismatically related, but my nieces two kids are named Austin and Madison. I always say to her “Only 48 more to go!”

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice mint mark set.... and that CC is really nice...Gold coins make such a nice display. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

You should be proud to have assembled a great and complete collection. While I'm not a gold collector, I really like the rich appearance of the 54-D and the 51-C. They jump out to me as "I want"! <3

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file