Home Sports Talk
Options

A question about Brady and Mahomes.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems to be a foregone conclusion that Brady and Mahomes are able to move their respective Teams downfield no matter what defenses do against them. Has any Team ever tried to slow the receivers at the line and rush/blitz with six defenders time after time after time?? I know both guys read the defense well, but wouldn't constant, old style Pittsburgh pressure disrupt things?? To my knowledge no Team has tried that tactic yet.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get your point but I'm not sure which team's brave enough to try it. Seems to me that tactic would be an epic fail against good passers. One receiver slips through and it's a quick 6.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure then they check down to RB’s or TE’s

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

as I recall, both Giants SB victories relied on a similar gameplan the Bucs used against the Chiefs last year. limit the blitz and have an efficient rush with the down lineman. that allows the secondary to blanket the wideouts. it only can work if you get solid pressure with the down linemen and not have to send backers or DBs on blitz packages.

you can only jam WR for so long then it is one on one with a blitz. Brady will pick that apart.

you beat brady with pressure in his face from the down linemen

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

There have been plenty of games where opposing defenses blitzed heavily against Brady with obviously mixed results. He made some pay for it while others had some success against him. There have been games where the opposing coach was previously on the Pats sideline at some point and pretty much knew the NE offensive playbook in and out. They didn’t always beat him but there were plenty of games where they made it pretty difficult for him.

As for the old style Pittsburgh pressure,how far back are we talking? Brady has pretty much owned the Steelers head to head over the years with his 111.1 career passer rating 2nd highest against any team he’s faced. That Steelers defensive system has been pretty great some years and yet they couldn’t stop Brady’s offense.

There have been some four man fronts that got great pressure in Brady at times. The Giants had two groups led by Stratham,Osi & Tuck then Osi,Tuck & JPP. The Broncos with Von Miller,DeMarcus Ware & Garrett Wolfe were another. I can’t say how KC would fair with six rushers putting pressure on Mahomes but TB has the luxury of basically having a 6th offensive lineman out there when needed in Gronk.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2021 2:56PM

A lot of good responses here.

Yes, Brady fails most often when the D-linemen get interior pressure without any extra blitzers.

With all of Brady's success there is one key component which, while well known, is often overlooked. It is his willingness and commitment to picking apart the defense slowly but surely. He does not get anxious, or get distracted looking beyond the *current play, or first down, or drive. He will take underneath short throws all day long if necessary. He will adapt and do whatever it takes.

Edited to change next to current

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mahomes is coming back down to earth lately

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brady struggled in quite a few games last year and Mahomes has looked human this year. Film and adjustments

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember Ben Roethlisberger's Steelers were Brady's b...., they never could get past the Patriots in the playoffs.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I remember Ben Roethlisberger's Steelers were Brady's b...., they never could get past the Patriots in the playoffs.

Same with the Chargers. But Brady could NOT beat the Giants, everyone has their kryptonite

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

Same with the Chargers. But Brady could NOT beat the Giants, everyone has their kryptonite

Patriots Super Bowl victory’s evened them selves out. I always want to say they Patriots should have 2 less SB’s. The tuck rule and Pete Carroll’s pass call on the goal line. But then there’s the two miraculous catches by the Giants. So even Steven I guess.
    But what if the tuck rule never happens. Do the Patriots proceed as the greatest dynasty ever? Probably but you never know.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

Patriots Super Bowl victory’s evened them selves out. I always want to say they Patriots should have 2 less SB’s. The tuck rule and Pete Carroll’s pass call on the goal line. But then there’s the two miraculous catches by the Giants. So even Steven I guess.
    But what if the tuck rule never happens. Do the Patriots proceed as the greatest dynasty ever? Probably but you never know.

2 for 2 as far as canceling each other out. The 2 Giants losses were tough but really the Seahawks was a gift and the Falcons had no business losing. The 2011 Super Bowl was a joke the Pats deserved to lose that game outside of that stupid Manningham catch

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

Mahomes has a world of raw talent, more than Brady, but he’s also egotistical and not the team player that Brady is. Has Mahomes ever given up part of his salary for the betterment of the team? I have not heard about it if he has.

Sadly the Eagles have to play Kansas City this week. Chauk up another Eagles’ loss. Other teams have been able to upset Kansas City, but the Eagles don’t have horses.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:

@bronco2078 said:

Mahomes has a world of raw talent, more than Brady, but he’s also egotistical and not the team player that Brady is. Has Mahomes ever given up part of his salary for the betterment of the team? I have not heard about it if he has.

Sadly the Eagles have to play Kansas City this week. Chauk up another Eagles’ loss. Other teams have been able to upset Kansas City, but the Eagles don’t have horses.

Well in Mahomes Defense I don’t think they are in a situation where he would even be asked to cut or pro rate salary like Brady did. I mean he literally just signed that monster contract. I don’t follow him too much but nothing I’ve seen from Mahomes is anything other than him being a pretty good young man

• Options

@BillJones said:

@bronco2078 said:

everyone learned from Brady that team friendly deals are stupid no one should ever do that again.

The money brady didnt take went to Bill and where did that get anyone?

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@BillJones said:

@bronco2078 said:

everyone learned from Brady that team friendly deals are stupid no one should ever do that again.

It didn’t go in Bills pocket, it went to overpaying for 3rd string caliber players who he ended up cutting anyways

• Options

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

@BillJones said:

@bronco2078 said:

It didn’t go in Bills pocket, it went to overpaying for 3rd string caliber players who he ended up cutting anyways

bill paid himself 25 million a year though, then hired those boobs

coaches making more than the star QB is ridiculous

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

coaches money does not hit the salary cap though does it?

to my knowledge, all the extra money went to special teams players from Rutgers.

something worked though, they got 6 rings out of it!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

@BillJones said:

@bronco2078 said:

bill paid himself 25 million a year though, then hired those boobs

coaches making more than the star QB is ridiculous

Agreed but it it has nothing to do with the salary cap. And shame on Kraft if you feel Bill was overpaid. I don’t think he was to be honest, a Billionaire can afford to pay a part of the puzzle that earned you said Billions lol

• Options

@craig44 said:
    coaches money does not hit the salary cap though does it?

to my knowledge, all the extra money went to special teams players from Rutgers.

something worked though, they got 6 rings out of it!

Don’t forget all the players who were cut too

• Options

lets not talk about the salary cap like its real money. New England couldn't afford to pay tom. Somehow Tampa managed to and bring back everyone else. New England is like 32nd in the league in real spending it caught up with them.

Kraft won't pay more than 100 for a happy ending! Hows that for being a billionaire