Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Legend 10-point Color Scale Grading Set

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 30, 2021 1:21PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I love toned coins and rating coins.

I've been excited about Legend's 10 point color scale for some time and wanted to create a grading set for each of the grades.

Here are some specimens. I hope we can build up a full set from 1 to 10!

I rank “off the charts” above “10+” as the first seems farther away from 10 than the latter, though it may certainly be lower than "100".

Laura wrote:
We rank this coin 100 on our 1-10 color scale (10 is the best). Yes, we rank it that high because in our opinion, the colors are out of this world perfect!

Off the Charts

Laura wrote:
This coin's colors rate off the charts on our 10-point color scale.

Laura wrote:
We rank the colors on this coin an 11 (yes an 11)-on our 1-10 color scale (10 is the best).

10+

Laura wrote:
We rank the colors a 10+ on our 1-10 color scale we used for our North Lights coins.

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2021 9:42AM
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2021 9:24AM
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2021 9:44AM
  • Options
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unbelievable..... :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2021 8:26AM

Interesting.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

TDN's color chart is overly optimistic for the 8.0 to 9.5 range. Just look through AB's set at NGC to get a idea of a range of top Morgans. Most of TDN's postings would be pushed down to 5.0 to 7.5 range IMO.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fugly toned coin here, not for me, byeeee

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2021 12:54PM

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    TDN's color chart is overly optimistic for the 8.0 to 9.5 range. Just look through AB's set at NGC to get a idea of a range of top Morgans. Most of TDN's postings would be pushed down to 5.0 to 7.5 range IMO.

Or consider that on a scale from 1-10, Wayne’s Morgans generally rate between 11 and 100. 😆

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to say but some of those high ranking ones are fugly or look terminally toned.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

@bolivarshagnasty said:

Not my chart - those are actual Laura ratings from past Legend auctions

• Options

@Broadstruck said:
    Sorry to say but some of those high ranking ones are fugly or look terminally toned.

I’d take the rating over the picture any day

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2021 2:25PM

@bolivarshagnasty said:

I agree that there was a big drop and it wasn’t very representative of a good scale. The best I’ve seen is still on the Jhone Cash website (I believe from @poorguy …I can’t recall his new username on here). There were no numbers but it did a solid job of ranking from low end to monster.

http://www.jhonecash.com/coins/tonedmorgans.asp

• Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2021 2:36PM

The 7.5+ and 8.0 both look like fairly generic toners. I'd hate to see what a 5.0 looks like on this scale.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anytime I see purple on a coin I'm suspicious.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

@Kyle said:
    The 7.5+ and 8.0 both look like fairly generic toners. I'd hate to see what a 5.0 looks like on this scale.

There is no 5 on her scale. I’m fairly certain it’s the same as her coin rating scale - anything below 7 is dreck. 7 is commercial quality, 8 is acceptable and starting at 9 it’s high end.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great finds @tradedollarnut !

I’ve added the 100 coin to the OP and I’m looking up the other TrueViews to add.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2021 7:33AM

Interesting

Guy I know that sets up mentioned using it to price his toners like if the scale is x premium factor is y.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2021 8:22AM

Every long term seller of coins has had an AT toner in inventory that has sold as NT unintentionally.

Wild color similarities or differentiation do not prove they are toned naturally or accelerated.

The greatest graders in the greatest TPGs cannot be sure consistently.

Therefore the marketplace and market makers should tone down enthusiasm, no reason for heads to explode.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file