Home U.S. Coin Forum

Graffiti or just scratched up, and does it matter which?

moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does graffiti have to be recognizably intentional?
Maybe somebody cut a plug of tobacco with this walker as a backstop.

It's a shame whenever a nice old coin has this kind of damage.

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Comments

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like scratches bordering on being gouges.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

People can "what-if" all day long but it really does not matter how it happened.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    People can "what-if" all day long but it really does not matter how it happened.

You forgot to say "PMD". :wink:

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

Graffiti, scratches, gouges, just fall into the PMD category -

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

@Steven59 said:

I suppose graffiti is only relevant (worth calling out specially) if it is historical or folk art or some such.
    Potty dollars, hobo coins, that sort of thing...

• @moursund said:

@Steven59 said:

I suppose graffiti is only relevant (worth calling out specially) if it is historical or folk art or some such.
    Potty dollars, hobo coins, that sort of thing...

I would like a coin a little bit better if it had old graffiti than if it had the same number of scratches evenly distributed throughout the coin.

Young Numismatist

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Basically, PMD... Gouges without artistic merit ;) Too bad, I really like WLH's, but that would put me off... Cheers, RickO

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Generally graffiti has a more 'deliberate' look.

This: just scratches.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whether graffiti or scratches it is damage to the coin. Can’t tell which on the op coin.

As the coin is damaged that is only thing relevant to me. With a problem coin collector that may be different.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Graffiti looks better with spray paint.

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Graffiti looks better with spray paint.

that's AT...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file