Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

USB Magnifier

Hi all,
I am looking to buy a USB magnifier to connect to my laptop. I am tried of the regular magnifying glass. I want to get something that will give me up to 10X, i do not need anything crazy like 100x. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    ModwriterModwriter Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

I am using my LG phone camera nowadays. Taking a photo of the coin and enlarging. I was missing too many scratches and dings using my loupe.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Waste of money imo, you will be chasing lots of imaginary errors. If you cannot see it with your eye or a 7X loupe it is just too minor to be worth worrying about, again just my opinion.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been in this hobby-industry for decades and have a reputation of a very good eye, but I have never felt the need for greater than 5x routine magnification and only use 10x if the surfaces of a coin truly confound me. If you are looking for "errors" then the 10x sounds like overkill.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Modwriter said:
    I am using my LG phone camera nowadays. Taking a photo of the coin and enlarging. I was missing too many scratches and dings using my loupe.

I'm getting back into the hobby, and a couple of months ago I got advice from this forum and bought a nice loupe... but as @Modwriter says, I find that taking a picture with my phone gives me a better-lit, more detailed, and zoomable image. So the loupe is out of the loop...

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RayB I use a Plugable USB unit with my S-8+. Easy to use, takes good pics. Sometimes magnified examination is just darn interesting. I enjoy die cracks, breaks, clashes, etc. Think about it. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    @RayB I use a Plugable USB unit with my S-8+. Easy to use, takes good pics. Sometimes magnified examination is just darn interesting. I enjoy die cracks, breaks, clashes, etc. Think about it. Good luck. Peace Roy

s8+ ? i thought that was a phone? do phones come with usb ports now? they really ought to. ;)

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2021 3:06PM

I have a Carson - 1555055 LumiLoupe,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PDPFZT8/

a Jarlink illuminated Loupe magnifier (both for 10$ each)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078N34WZR/

as well as a plugable USB digital microscope with flexible arm for 40$ from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XNYXQHE/

Needless to say, like the countless other replies above, these items are currently collecting dust in a corner because I rarely use them and prefer to use my one plus seven cell phone camera instead. ;)

Edited to add Amazon links

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC Yup the S-8+ has a proprietary port in the bottom and the phone came with 2 different port converter plug gizmos, one of which is USB compatible.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:

[ If you cannot see it with your eye or a 7X loupe it is just too minor to be worth worrying about, again just my opinion.]

When you have bad eyesight and like to roll and bag search coins you need all the help you can get! B)

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use a Zeiss 3x6x9 loupe to check coins... rarely above the 3x lens.... When I have a group of cents (like a handful of wheaties), I have a large, hand held magnifying glass for a quick, group scan. Rarely is major magnification necessary, and then, mainly just to satisfy curiosity. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've purchased a Dino scope some 15 plus years ago. It is a valuable tool that has not failed me and works as good today as the day I purchased it. I highly recommend a UBS scope it has paid for its self ten times over!

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

• Options
    RayBRayB Posts: 15 ✭✭

@Steven59 said:

@coinbuf said:

[ If you cannot see it with your eye or a 7X loupe it is just too minor to be worth worrying about, again just my opinion.]

When you have bad eyesight and like to roll and bag search coins you need all the help you can get! B)

Hit the nail on the head Steven59!! I was thinking it would make scanning a bag of coins go faster.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file