Home Sports Talk

Let’s pump the brakes on the Broncos for a month

2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the Broncos organization is top notch. Teddy Bridgewater is a really good game manager and doesn’t turn the ball over. Melvin Gordon is a top 10 back and they do have weapons and the defense is top 5 when healthy. But…. And there always is a but.
Putting Denver in the top 5 or 10 depending on the NFL rankings is a little, no a lot premature.
They played the Giants who can’t score more than 13 points for 2 years, the Jets and the Jaguars.
Not exactly the NFL elite. They are 3-0 and obviously that’s a good thing but did we think they would lose any of those games.
Let’s look at this months schedule
Ravens, Steelers, Raiders and Browns
If they can split the next 4 I think Broncos fans would be elated to start the season 5-2 in a tough division but still starring at 2 games with the Chiefs and Chargers and another game with the Raiders.
But realistically they could go 1-3 or even 0-4.
At this point I don’t think we can properly gauge what kind of team they are and definitely can’t put them in the top 10 in the power rankings after those three games.
I’ll revisit this thread in November.
Discussion is always welcome. @doubledragon threads aren’t the only ones you can comment on even though he is the POPE of the Sports talk forum. 😉

W.C.Fields
"I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

We had Bridgewater in Carolina and he was decent, but I don't trust him as a quarterback, I want to see him play some better teams and see how he handles it. A pee wee team could beat the Jets, and the Jaguars are pure trash, Urban Meyer is probably beating the crap out of them as we speak.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Teddy Bridgewater is a really good game manager

this is an over-used term which equates to that player being an interchangeable part. if that is the case, then the Team is probably in the bottom third of the NFL. it is usually a requirement of the QB to lift the Team to victory, that's just how the NFL is today.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    Teddy Bridgewater is a really good game manager

this is an over-used term which equates to that player being an interchangeable part. if that is the case, then the Team is probably in the bottom third of the NFL. it is usually a requirement of the QB to lift the Team to victory, that's just how the NFL is today.

I know but I didn’t have a better way to describe him. He doesn’t have a particularly strong arm. He’s speedy but not fast. He’s a proven veteran and about in the same class as a Tyrod Taylor. If he doesn’t make a lot of mistakes the Broncos will be in a lot of games. That said he’s at the bottom of quarterbacks in his division.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

like you pointed out, the Broncos have beaten the Giants, Jaguars and Jets. it's nice to be 3-0 but that's not much to get excited about and not much of a test for Bridgewater. what will he do when the Broncos are 10 or 14 points down and he needs to stretch things instead of manage things?? what happens when Gordon has to be limited because the Broncos are passing on almost every play??

like you said, October will reveal the answers.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not even remotely thinking the Broncos are a top tier team let alone any pumping the breaks from my end lol

:)

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Broncos have had an excellent defense the past few years and now have a competent QB, which they were sorely lacking. Tom Brady replacing Jameis Winston was as much about turnover reduction as much as it was about anything. No, I am not comparing Teddy and Tom, simply illustrating the importance of turnovers as it correlates to winning.

If Teddy Bridgewater can limit the turnovers on offense, I could see them being a playoff team this year; .500 from here on out is 10-7.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest