Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1951 Mickey Mantle Major League Debut Ticket Stub sold for $84,391.00

https://auction.lelands.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=104395

With buyer premium, this makes the first ever ticket stub ever sold for over $100,000. The ticket stubs market, especially debut tickets are white hot right now. Prices still much lower than cards but way rarer and closer to the game. Are you all dabbling into tickets?

Comments

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll play 😉

Here’s a few I though were worth the grab…

This is also a significant moment in Mickey Mantle history; his first Fall Classic hit and a rather famous injury that - bookend to the $100,000 debut ticket - draws the Commerce Comet’s rookie season to a close.

Below is the home postseason ticket run for baseball’s winningest championship winner in history:

1998 New York Yankees 125-50

One of the all time great moments in baseball history - and in my lifetime, American history - was President George Bush tossing out the first pitch for game 3 in 2001. And it almost never happened…

…as the story goes, Jeter by chance bumps into the President in the tunnel. After greeting him, Jeter says, “Mr. President? I just want to tell you that you have to throw from the rubber and you can’t bounce it.”
    President Bush, incredulous, says ‘What?” And Jeter replies, “If you bounce the pitch to home, we’ll, this is Yankees Stadium and they will boo you.” Bush considers it for a moment, and he realizes - at that moment, with the Captain, the full gravity of the situation, and Jeter sees this in his face and says, “Cone with me, I’ll show you where you can get warmed up…” and with that, the President of the United States, in the bowels of Yankees Stadium, began to get loose.

The rest, as they say, is history:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NjGcCI9ByWw

Two more things; first, note that Bush walks right past the little make shift rubber straight to the ‘top of the mound’ rubber and second?

As a Yankees fan (and American), I had no choice: I needed that ticket. 😉

😁🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸😁

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    fmclaug11fmclaug11 Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

I’ve collected ticket stubs here and there for about the last 10 years…nothing as epic as that Mantle debut though. I agree that they feel closer to the game than cards. Sent some in on the last ticket special and they just hit grading stage last week. Here’s the list I have at PSA now. Sorry no pictures in hand.

• Options
    mrburns443mrburns443 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭✭

I have one graded ticket, from the last game played at Ebbets Field. I had a pair of these and sold one via Goldin auctions about 6 months ago.

• Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

No matter what you think about President Bush, the man threw a STRIKE. I love that.

2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2021 10:12AM

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    I’ll play 😉

Here’s a few I though were worth the grab…

This is also a significant moment in Mickey Mantle history; his first Fall Classic hit and a rather famous injury that - bookend to the $100,000 debut ticket - draws the Commerce Comet’s rookie season to a close.

Great ticket. I grabbed one of those myself way back when. That injury game is a key moment in Mick history. Here is my ancient slab that is long overdue for a reholdering with the WS hit/injury text on label also.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

Bush stepped on the foul line both going on and coming off the field. Bad juju.

• Options

@pauldrolkees said:
    https://auction.lelands.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=104395

With buyer premium, this makes the first ever ticket stub ever sold for over $100,000. The ticket stubs market, especially debut tickets are white hot right now. Prices still much lower than cards but way rarer and closer to the game. Are you all dabbling into tickets?

there are other sports stubs that have sold for over this $102k fyi
    a golf stub and a baseballs stub

• Options
    GilRGilR Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

I was at the game in 1998 when Sosa hit his first of those 66 homers -- is that something for which there might be a real market? No, not dreaming of $100K, just something to make it worthwhile for me to dig it up and have it authenticated. I couldn't find one on eBay, so I have no sense of its value. (I also saw Fred Lynn's 300th homer in Detroit and Robin Yount's 2500th hit, but suspect those tickets aren't worth anything much.)

• Options
    AANVAANV Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

https://classicauctions.net/Mickey_Mantle_April_17th_1951_New_York_Yankees_Maj-LOT158759.aspx

This ticket sold the following month for substantially more in the same condition.

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭

@GilR said:
    I was at the game in 1998 when Sosa hit his first of those 66 homers -- is that something for which there might be a real market? No, not dreaming of $100K, just something to make it worthwhile for me to dig it up and have it authenticated. I couldn't find one on eBay, so I have no sense of its value. (I also saw Fred Lynn's 300th homer in Detroit and Robin Yount's 2500th hit, but suspect those tickets aren't worth anything much.)

unfortunately I don't believe there would much of a market for this and not worthy of having it slabbed, etc.

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭

@Ironmanfan said:

@GilR said:

unfortunately I don't believe there would much of a market for this and not worthy of having it slabbed, etc.

IMF

I agree. I would post it on ebay as is. I've been selling a lot of McGwire homerun tickets from '98, and I typcially get $10-$25 when they do sell.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    GilRGilR Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

Okay, thanks. I'd rather hold on to the ticket, but for enough money I'd part with it. In my mind, I've just bought it off myself for $20.