Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1804 Large Cent, is it real or hopium?

Came across this supposed 1804 large cent, between the horrible angles, glare and the corrosion, plus possible tooling
I cant tell if it's the real deal or if somebody sold the pawn shop on some hopium in regards to the large cent.
Whats your take on this cent? real deal 1804? or some bogus?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154624632981?hash=item240058a895:g:oMgAAOSwDQdhTf7Z

Comments

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't even confirm the date. Would never buy that raw...

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

No ceeegar….though the reverse style seems to be correct, at least from looking at the pics on my phone, the obverse is incorrect.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

The same seller is featuring this large cent as an "XF+", so yeah- I don't believe hardly anything he declares to be a fact.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/165088727385?hash=item26700e1159:g:CH0AAOSwW~lhTMYQ

peacockcoins

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

The absence of the usual cud above RTY hurts but doesn't disqualify it. But the position of the hair curls and the letters in LIBERTY is enough to say "no way".
    Lance.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on pictures and what is visible... I would pass....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard pass. I wouldn't be interested even if it were slabbed.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

Again, A pawn shop is usually more of a "Jack of all trades, master of none" situation, more then anything else. I have seen this many times. This seller has 8800 positive feedbacks at 100%. My guess is that he is either selling these for someone else, or purchased a collection and doesn't know what he/she is selling. After checking the feedback of the last 3 pages of items he has sold, there are no coins. I really just think that he does not know what he is doing.

• Options

Here is a 1879-CC listing by the same sellerhttps://ebay.com/itm/164948225983?hash=item2667ae2fbf:g:wtAAAOSwhj1g5h1e
    Not sure about this one. Expert help needed.

• Options

I have sent the seller an email on this one advising him that it is not a genuine coin.

• Options

@rec78 said:
    Here is a 1879-CC listing by the same sellerhttps://ebay.com/itm/164948225983?hash=item2667ae2fbf:g:wtAAAOSwhj1g5h1e
    Not sure about this one. Expert help needed.

That is a fake also and notice how the seller listed it in the wrong category.

"I have sent the seller an email on this one advising him that it is not a genuine coin."

This seller knows they are not genuine coins and is dishonest. :/

• Options

Here is a sold one from the same seller.

Just another POS seller trying to rip someone. :/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164948224049

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:

This seller knows they are not genuine coins and is dishonest. :/

I ask in all respect sir, how do you know he is a dishonest seller? You cannot tell by his feedback.
    It is easy to make a mistake and list items in the wrong category. I have done it several times myself, the ebay system smotimes is not too good at selecting the category for you, and it is easy to miss.

• Options

@rec78 said:

I ask in all respect sir, how do you know he is a dishonest seller? You cannot tell by his feedback.
    It is easy to make a mistake and list items in the wrong category. I have done it several times myself, the ebay system smotimes is not too good at selecting the category for you, and it is easy to miss.

Please read the post just above yours.

Do you think just by chance this person had 2 fake 79 CC's and knew nothing about it?
    If you believe that you should quit buying on ebay for your own protection. ;)

• Options

If I listed these 2 coins within a month of each other and had another listing for a counterfeit 1881 S I would understand why someone was calling me dishonest. ;)

• Options

As I said earlier -A pawn shop is usually more of a "Jack of all trades, master of none" situation, more then anything else. > @ifthevamzarockin said:

@rec78 said:

Please read the post just above yours.

Do you think just by chance this person had 2 fake 79 CC's and knew nothing about it?
    If you believe that you should quit buying on ebay for your own protection. ;)

As I stated earlier "
    A pawn shop is usually more of a "Jack of all trades, master of none" situation, more then anything else.

Having more then one fake 79 CC dollar does not make smoeone a dishonest seller. His feedback is 100% at 8685 feedbacks. I think he just doesn't know.

• Options

@rec78 Pawn shops that don't have the ability to check metals don't stay in business very long. ;)That is their business

• Options
    edited September 26, 2021 10:10AM

You may be right-here is the response I got:

New message from: absolutepawnguns Top Rated Seller(8,685Green Star)
    this is a genuine 1881 s morgan. We do guarantee it is. We sell hundreds of coins each week. I could get better pictures of it tomorrow once i get back to the shop.

He is lying about selling hundreds of coins each week. He only has 14 coins listed now and with no feedback on coins sales in the last few weeks. As per his sold listings, he has only sold 9 coins since Jul.3

Pawn shops by all kinds of things not just metals.
    Anyways,
    I sent another email asking him to weigh it. I will let you know what he replies.

• Options

I have sent messages also and got similar responses.

The seller is not an honest person. :/

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least you can’t accuse him of over grading….that second “ ‘79 CC” is clearly AU 😏

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

Anyways,
    I sent another email asking him to weigh it. I will let you know what he replies.

He did not reply to this. I am guessing that he weighed it, found out it was fake, and took it down. He has also ended the 1879-CC listing. At least we got him to end those auctions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file