Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

HELP CONFIRMING AUTHENTISITY & VALUE (IF ANY) OF 1958 D 'WHEAT PENNY' ONE CENT COIN (WHITE METAL)

Good Evening,
I have today acquired a vintage charm bracelet whilst milling around charity (thrift) shops in our local town
One of the 'charms' is a white metal 1958 One Cent Coin - in a round setting, therefore no damage to the coin
Details:
FRONT -
IN GOD WE TRUST - at the top, slightly in from the edge
Lincoln's Bust in Profile, right facing
At Lincoln's left shoulder - LIBERTY
To the right of Lincoln's Chest - 1958 with the letter D underneath & to the left of the tail of the 5
REVERSE -
*NOTE OF IMPORTANCE - The reverse is stamped UPSIDE DOWN - as in, the OPPOSITE WAS AROUND TO THE FRONT!
E . PLURISUS . UNUM - the dots are mid way up the letters, not at the base. The P & the L are fairly rubbed or not struck correctly
ONE CENT
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
surrounded by a strand of Wheat on either side
My query:
Is it anything special the fact that the reverse is fully rotated?
What metal is it - as most of the others I have found whilst researching have been copper coloured, or from 1943 or such when they were made in steel?
Any info or enlightenment appreciated
Regards.

Comments

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

A picture is worth a thousand words but I will say it is almost certainly plated with something and not a mint error or worth anything more than a cent (or melt value of bronze).

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you look at any US coin you will see that the obverse and reverse are oriented like that.

You would need to post pictures but I assume it's plated.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

My query:
    Is it anything special the fact that the reverse is fully rotated? All US coins struck as you describe in the text.
    What metal is it - as most of the others I have found whilst researching have been copper coloured, or from 1943 or such when they were made in steel? Possibly a plated 58-D Lincoln or a counterfeit example. No known off metal cents from 58.

• Options

Are they? Im not from the US, therefore I would not know!
    Yes, probably a counterfit. How would I know so though!? :)

• Options

Ok, fair enough.
    All US coins have the reverse stamped upside down to the front? That is interesting :)
    Unfortunately, I do not have another to compare it to
    yes, I said 1943 were made of steel.
    Ah well, I guess it's nothing of interest then
    And - I would have posted pictures - if I had of known how to do it on this portal
    Thank you for your assistance

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@juniorj2012 .... Welcome aboard. You mentioned it was on a charm bracelet... these coins are commonly plated to match the rest of the jewelry.... I am sure yours is such a coin. No numismatic premium. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@juniorj2012 said:
    Ok, fair enough.
    All US coins have the reverse stamped upside down to the front? That is interesting :)
    Unfortunately, I do not have another to compare it to
    yes, I said 1943 were made of steel.
    Ah well, I guess it's nothing of interest then
    And - I would have posted pictures - if I had of known how to do it on this portal
    Thank you for your assistance

It's not likely a counterfeit. It's likely a plated cent. You already mentioned it was in jewelry. It was quite common to plate them to make them silver in color when used in charms or key chains.

• Options

No thats fine - I'm not concerned about that. I am just looking something else up, one moment...

I was just getting confused with the fact that the reverse side of the coin appears upside down to me - I am from the UK, all of our coins, if flipped left or right - the reverse is still the same way up.

It appears that US coins will appear upside down if flipped left or right (horizontally), but not if flipped vertically

There you go you see, I've learnt something this evening.

extra note - yes, I am aware this bracelet is a costume piece. I am a collector, researcher and seller of vintage and antique jewellery - I know a thing or two about it - just not coins....from a different country! Regards :)

• Options

Yes, that is what it will be

It was the 'flipping' part that was confusing me - and it doesn't take much

Our British coins are the same way up if flipped left or right, unlike your US coins. These needs to be flipped vertically to remain the same way up.

I think I have my answer now - a genuine, plated 1958 D One Cent Coin. Worth nothing, but pretty to look at amongst the other charms on this bracelet.

thanks for input

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@juniorj2012 said:
    Yes, that is what it will be

It was the 'flipping' part that was confusing me - and it doesn't take much

Our British coins are the same way up if flipped left or right, unlike your US coins. These needs to be flipped vertically to remain the same way up.

I think I have my answer now - a genuine, plated 1958 D One Cent Coin. Worth nothing, but pretty to look at amongst the other charms on this bracelet.

thanks for input

Yes. On this side of the pond, some people refer to it as "European orientation" or "medal orientation" since U.S. medals tend to be struck in the "European orientation".

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@juniorj2012 said:

Search "coin turn" and "medal turn" as the terms for how US coins and British coins, respectively, are oriented.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

@juniorj2012
    E . PLURISUS . UNUM - the dots are mid way up the letters, not at the base.

I agree, you seem "plurisus".

Young Numismatist

• Options

I did - thank you :)

• Options

thank you for the information - it will be useful if I should happen to find any US coins in future. I did have some, though long gone now. Regards.

• Options

I do?

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

The US Mint has a informational website

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options

Thanks - I'll look it up should I need to in the future. Regards.

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@juniorj2012 said:
    Thanks - I'll look it up should I need to in the future. Regards.

When you want to respond to a specific post, it is good to hit the quote link, which will show the post to which you are responding. This will make your responses much more clear.

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file