Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Crooked branch on Morgan

I am curious how this happened. I've searched the Vamworld and can't find any reference to a crooked branch. If the coin was rotated during the stamping process, more than just a single line would be affected. Another question...this coin won't grade very high, my guess around 40-45, so is it worth getting graded if the crooked branch is unusual.

Thank you so much for your help.

1878 Morgan - eagle standing on crooked branch (Note: this also might be a VAM-9, engraved left wing feather, but a cleaner image is needed.)

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    bombtech25bombtech25 Posts: 209 ✭✭✭

VAM9 looks about right. I’m only 40 though so take that with a grain of salt. Change title to “Discovered new VAM” and the old folks will be here immediately with reams of data.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m thinking it is a filled die in that area.

As for value, the coin has been harshly cleaned and that kills the value

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not so much a “crooked branch” as a branch with a piece missing out of it. The left end is connected by one claw, which looks like a wiggle in the branch.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    I’m thinking it is a filled die in that area.

As for value, the coin has been harshly cleaned and that kills the value

Wow, that really stinks. I haven't figured out how to tell if coins have been cleaned or not, so I appreciate your input. The last thing I want to do is waste money on grading if it's been cleaned.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one has lots of parallel hair lines in the fields.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@CaptHenway said:
    Not so much a “crooked branch” as a branch with a piece missing out of it. The left end is connected by one claw, which looks like a wiggle in the branch.

I can see that now, it's a piece missing under the far left eagle claw, which makes the claw look like part of the branch. Good eye.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep... really harsh cleaning....Not worth grading. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@bombtech25 said:
    VAM9 looks about right. I’m only 40 though so take that with a grain of salt. Change title to “Discovered new VAM” and the old folks will be here immediately with reams of data.

The image you posted has the same 'double berry' above the R in DOLLAR, and above the O in ONE - which leads me to believe it's the same VAM. However, there is definitely a piece missing on my coin.

I assume this is all mute if the coin has been cleaned?

• Options
    bombtech25bombtech25 Posts: 209 ✭✭✭

@DavidH said:

@bombtech25 said:

The image you posted has the same 'double berry' above the R in DOLLAR, and above the O in ONE - which leads me to believe it's the same VAM. However, there is definitely a piece missing on my coin.

Yes. You’ve gotten sound info above. The harshly cleaned or damaged coins can still be fun though. I just inlaid a bunch into a rustic bench for an old farm. Good on you for asking the question.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you post a close up of the eagles left and right engraved feathers?

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,909 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DavidH said:

@bombtech25 said:

Cleaned is a problem but it is worth pointing out that most VAMs are not worth the cost of grading in average condition.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    Cleaned is a problem but it is worth pointing out that most VAMs are not worth the cost of grading in average condition.

Which is why I'm here...I can use some help knowing what is worth getting graded and what isn't. Thanks for your help.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

There are some 8tf Vams that are hard to come by. The best place to start is with the wing feathers. ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file