Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How does something like this (extra metal) happen?

Someone told me that the extra metal on the '8' in the date was due to natural wear of the coin. I have a hard time believing that, so thought I'd ask here. Look at the left side of the 8, right in the middle.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

Die chip. If there is some damage on the die, you get "extra metal".

Remember, the die is the inverse image of the coin. "Extra metal" just means a scratch or divot in the die. Pretty common. Generally no premium.

• Options

That's what I needed to know, thank you!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep... Good example of a random die chip....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

And just for clarity, there isn’t any extra metal but rather the same amount displaced differently due to the defect on the die.

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:
    And just for clarity, there isn’t any extra metal but rather the same amount displaced differently due to the defect on the die.

Right, because the planchet didn't change, so presumably the rest of the metal in the coin is in a slightly different shape, or fractionally less dense...

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t listen to “someone “, ask here for the right answers.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    Don’t listen to “someone “, ask here for the right answers.

If "someone" said natural wear of the "coin DIE", they could be one of us. ;)

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just for the Heck of it - why is the dot between S & U circled? And really, a closeup of the 8 would be interesting to look at, looks more like a small die gouge than a die chip

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the dot is out of round a little? Another minor die issue?

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    Just for the Heck of it - why is the dot between S & U circled? And really, a closeup of the 8 would be interesting to look at, looks more like a small die gouge than a die chip

I circled it because it doesn't look like a circle...like ShawnBC5 said.

I appreciate everyone's help.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file