Home Sports Talk
Options

Is it so hard to throw a baseball?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

Conor McGregor threw out the first pitch at a Cubs game, just awful.

Comments

• Options

Heck, I still remember when 50 Cent threw out the first pitch at a Mets game, it was awful. I believe, yes, we have the footage, roll it!

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

holy cow. maybe conners neck still is stiff from the Khabib fight.

50 cent was the worst. he knew he couldn't throw. why would he put himself out there to be embarrased?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly this is confusing to me, how can anyone not just throw a ball somewhat normal? It’s stupid really

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2021 7:57AM

@perkdog said:
    Honestly this is confusing to me, how can anyone not just throw a ball somewhat normal? It’s stupid really

As someone who is personally not a great thrower, and has read about these experiences a couple of times, I am willing to wager some guesses. The number one culprit is usually no warm up pitches. So the thrower has no frame of reference, hasn't done it before, and for whatever reason is way off the mark. The second culprit, based on the video, would be his jacket, and that it somehow seriously yanked his throw. But I can tell from experience, as a guy who does not throw a lot and hasn't in the past, that my first throw can be way off. Now I'm not saying that it should look like that , I'm just saying it can be off.

Edited to add: the jacket comment obviously only goes for McGregor

• Options
    edited September 23, 2021 9:12AM

The first pitch is a fascinating thing to watch, I would practice first and if I couldn't throw it, I would tell them to forget it, I'm not embarrassing myself on national TV!

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

imagine if Conor and Fiddy had to do this before they threw the ball

someone behind the 1st base dugout would get killed

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ask C. Montgomery Burns...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

I pitched in high school. Right now, I doubt I could reach home plate. If I was able, I'd be in pain. I knew guys who played RB and WR in college who couldn't throw a FB 10yds.

Throwing for some is very hard.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect McGregor hasn't thrown a baseball more than 3 or 4 times in his life. Add that to his suit coat messing with him and you get the new and not-improved 50 Cent 1st pitch.

That said, throwing a pitch like that is a LOT harder than it looks. It's significantly farther than it seems if you're not a baseball player. And most people do it from the mound without ever having thrown from a mound in their life. And then try to do a pitching motion, too. I've had a couple friends throw out 1st pitches and my advice is always the same - try to throw it over the catcher's head. You'll never actually throw it that far and you give yourself a much better chance of not bouncing it.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple weeks ago kids next door and their friends are playing football. I'm crossing the street to the mailbox. Football lands in the street and bounces against my leg. I pick up the ball remembering how I used to sling it. I'm thinking they will be surprised when this tight spiral hits them right in the chest. Well, I looked like a senior citizen throwing a shot put. After some ugly wobbles it hit the ground well in front of them. At least after a few bounces it got to them. Then to add to my embarrassment they said "Thank you sir." Getting old is the most fun I've had since the school bully beat me up.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

I think McGregor did it on purpose for attention. He's an idiot like that. :o

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the all time great moments in baseball history - and in my lifetime, American history - was President George Bush tossing out the first pitch for game 3 in 2001. And it almost never happened…

…as the story goes, Jeter by chance bumps into the President in the tunnel. After greeting him, Jeter says, “Mr. President? I just want to tell you that you have to throw from the rubber and you can’t bounce it.”
    President Bush, incredulous, says ‘What?” And Jeter replies, “If you bounce the pitch to home, we’ll, this is Yankees Stadium and they will boo you.” Bush considers it for a moment, and he realizes - at that moment, with the Captain, the full gravity of the situation, and Jeter sees this in his face and says, “Cone with me, I’ll show you where you can get warmed up…” and with that, the President of the United States, in the bowels of Yankees Stadium, began to get loose.

The rest, as they say, is history:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NjGcCI9ByWw

Two more things; first, note that Bush walks right past the little make shift rubber straight to the ‘top of the mound’ rubber and second?

As a Yankees fan (and American), I had no choice: I needed that ticket. 😉

😁🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸😁

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just go back to thinking that as a child one of the first things you learn is to throw a ball. It’s like riding a bike, you just don’t forget how to ride it for some reason, I’m not saying these people need to throw seeds but just saying they shouldn’t make complete idiots out of themselves that’s all.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can certainly understand a distance problem, maybe a mis-judgement and the ball might bounce to the catcher. but this directional problem has no excuse, everyone throws things during the course of their life. imagine these guys in their homes trying totoss something in to the sink or the trash can............................and it ends up by the front door!!

lame, very lame.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brick said:
    A couple weeks ago kids next door and their friends are playing football. I'm crossing the street to the mailbox. Football lands in the street and bounces against my leg. I pick up the ball remembering how I used to sling it. I'm thinking they will be surprised when this tight spiral hits them right in the chest. Well, I looked like a senior citizen throwing a shot put. After some ugly wobbles it hit the ground well in front of them. At least after a few bounces it got to them. Then to add to my embarrassment they said "Thank you sir." Getting old is the most fun I've had since the school bully beat me up.

The last time I played football with the neighbor kids I was ~2 weeks out from my jeep running me over in the driveway and a nice concussion. Was running to throw a pass to one of the kids and caught the street gutter on the side and fell right on the back of my head and cracked it open. Concussion again, was a little foggy for a few days.

• Options

I already responded to the thread with what I thought was somewhat funny in terms of asking Monty Burns... as in The Simpsons... nothing with that so Maybe my experience would be better left to an episode of the Wonder Years.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    I already responded to the thread with what I thought was somewhat funny in terms of asking Monty Burns... as in The Simpsons... nothing with that so Maybe my experience would be better left to an episode of the Wonder Years.

When I read your comment I actually tried to recall Mr. Burns throwing out a first pitch but couldn't. Admittedly, my Simpson's viewing lagged off a bit over the years, as has my memory. So I tried to look it up but didn't find it. Was it the episode with all of the MLB players? I know there are a lot of baseball episodes the the Isotopes team.

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    One of the all time great moments in baseball history - and in my lifetime, American history - was President George Bush tossing out the first pitch for game 3 in 2001. And it almost never happened…

…as the story goes, Jeter by chance bumps into the President in the tunnel. After greeting him, Jeter says, “Mr. President? I just want to tell you that you have to throw from the rubber and you can’t bounce it.”
    President Bush, incredulous, says ‘What?” And Jeter replies, “If you bounce the pitch to home, we’ll, this is Yankees Stadium and they will boo you.” Bush considers it for a moment, and he realizes - at that moment, with the Captain, the full gravity of the situation, and Jeter sees this in his face and says, “Cone with me, I’ll show you where you can get warmed up…” and with that, the President of the United States, in the bowels of Yankees Stadium, began to get loose.

The rest, as they say, is history:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NjGcCI9ByWw

Two more things; first, note that Bush walks right past the little make shift rubber straight to the ‘top of the mound’ rubber and second?

As a Yankees fan (and American), I had no choice: I needed that ticket. 😉

😁🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸😁

That was a sweet pitch from the president, that's how it is done!

• Options

I will fall on the sword if the question is what is NOT what was anticipated... Is it so hard to throw a baseball?

So my simple reading of this is as simple as what the question is... Is it so hard to throw a baseball?

And at this point, I will defer to Monty Burns and others that want to reply...

• Options

In further thoughts (my thoughts), there was a film done in the 1980s... The Bad News Bears... and while I laugh at this film every time I see it, it is over the plate in terms of answering the simple question of ... Is it so hard to throw a baseball?

Great film, great cast and goes along way towards answering the question... but even then, I suppose it might depend on who is throwing the ball.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bobbybakeriv said:
    I think McGregor did it on purpose for attention. He's an idiot like that. :o

Yep, more "Face Time"

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"