Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2017P Nickel - What is in the "O" of Monticello?

Best Answers

Answers

• Options

thanks @silverpop, and @ricko. My first die chip. I am so new at this, I set aside a nickel that I thought had a die crack, and turns out it was Jefferson's collar. :p

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Redcrossmom said:
    thanks @silverpop, and @ricko. My first die chip. I am so new at this, I set aside a nickel that I thought had a die crack, and turns out it was Jefferson's collar. :p

How did you get the closeup of the 'O'?

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options

@moursund said:

@Redcrossmom said:

Thanks @Moursund - I bought a Tomlov microscope, it works great. This is the model - https://www.amazon.com/TOMLOV-Microscope-50X-1000X-Magnification-Observing/dp/B08G43G8ZV

• Options

@Redcrossmom said:

@moursund said:

@Redcrossmom said:

Thanks @Moursund - I bought a Tomlov microscope, it works great. This is the model - https://www.amazon.com/TOMLOV-Microscope-50X-1000X-Magnification-Observing/dp/B08G43G8ZV

That's neat. I hadn't considered something like that. Do any of that sort of thing allow you to photograph the whole coin at once?

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options

@moursund said:

@Redcrossmom said:

@moursund said:

@Redcrossmom said:

That's neat. I hadn't considered something like that. Do any of that sort of thing allow you to photograph the whole coin at once?

The base is too short for most coins to show full coin. But you can freehold the microscope at a higher level. Here is a nickel, I used a book edge to balance and steady the camera for it. I have been looking at this reverse to try to understand if this is normal wear on the building , or if it is struck through.

• Options
    edited September 22, 2021 7:07AM

@Redcrossmom said:

@moursund said:

@Redcrossmom said:

@moursund said:

@Redcrossmom said:

The base is too short for most coins to show full coin. But you can freehold the microscope at a higher level. Here is a nickel, I used a book edge to balance and steady the camera for it. I have been looking at this reverse to try to understand if this is normal wear on the building , or if it is struck through.

I don't look much at moderns, does the building look similar to other circulated Jeffersons? It might be a struck through grease...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file