Home Precious Metals

Goldbacks - pcgs graded scans - serial numbers do not match

fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

Can anyone help me out by studying these pics fast? The serial numbers do not match. Can anyone help me determine if this was just a generic creation for selling purposes? Bust out your photoshop detective skills? The PCGS serial number does lookup properly, fyi, on the ones I checked.

As for first day of issue.. they could have just had an unopened package laying around to send to PCGS with the proper postmark.
I would also be curious if anyone has the pop reports handy for these. Like was everything graded 70s with no 69s or 68s?

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never seen these before. Will have to do some web research to understand more about them. Cheers, RickO

• fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2021 10:12AM

@ricko said:
    I have never seen these before. Will have to do some web research to understand more about them. Cheers, RickO

Here is a blog page to start you off and an attempt to keep it more interesting for the folks here when it comes to how many were produced.

https://goldback.com/news/graphs-how-many-goldbacks-were-made-in-2019-and-2020

You can obviously go to the main page to read as much as you would like.

Turns out the NH 2020 $50 might be the rarest. But in reality they are not really that rare since nobody really collects them much. Gold bills like this are truly a novelty. I was thinking more a gift for my son who is 9 and has a "treasure box" I help him fill. I get my kicks out of putting in some serious stuff in it for him each christmas or birthday. A kilo bar of silver, 1 oz bar of gold, those pure silver lego sets that monarch makes, 1 oz bar of copper, silver eagle, assorted silver US coins, etc... Even some copper pipe and copper wire.. lol. Hey.. it has recycle value ;-)

So these bills would be very cool since he lives in NH.