Home Sports Talk
Options

The 1980s NFL

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are some memories you have of the NFL in the 1980s?

Comments

• Options

I remember Mike Ditka, an intimidating presence.

• Options

The Super Bowl shuffle!

• Options

William "Refigerator" Perry.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 49ers. You can mark the decades by the dynasties
    1970’s Pittsburgh Steelers
    1980’s San Francisco 49ers
    1990’s Dallas Cowboys Ugh
    2000- present I can’t think of any team

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    edited September 18, 2021 3:26PM

@doubledragon love the new avatar 😂😂😂

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was born in 1976 in Massachusetts. Always rooted for the Patriots. But for a stretch of my childhood I had an NFC team that I loved. The Redskins. I think I've told this story before, about being at a SB party as a kid and seeing the Redskins beat the Dolphins. I was probably seven at the time. That game, for whatever reason, got me hooked on the NFL, and that's how I started liking the Redskins. Of course I loved the Patriots. And thank you, @perkdog, for that image. That is a great memory for me. That buildup to the SB against the Bears. Then the loss. I did still follow the Redskins, and enjoyed their second SB win of the 80s. But I fell out with the Redskins, and went all in with my Pats. By the early 90s, hope was renewed with Drew Bledsoe.

I am excited for next year, when the Pats should be able to use the throwback uniforms again.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    I was born in 1976 in Massachusetts. Always rooted for the Patriots. But for a stretch of my childhood I had an NFC team that I loved. The Redskins. I think I've told this story before, about being at a SB party as a kid and seeing the Redskins beat the Dolphins. I was probably seven at the time. That game, for whatever reason, got me hooked on the NFL, and that's how I started liking the Redskins. Of course I loved the Patriots. And thank you, @perkdog, for that image. That is a great memory for me. That buildup to the SB against the Bears. Then the loss. I did still follow the Redskins, and enjoyed their second SB win of the 80s. But I fell out with the Redskins, and went all in with my Pats. By the early 90s, hope was renewed with Drew Bledsoe.

I am excited for next year, when the Pats should be able to use the throwback uniforms again.

Love it 👍👍

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

all of it. i know im biased, but best decade of football in the grand scheme of things. think it was these years that solidified the nfl as becoming the professional league powerhouse that it did. and a much different league today.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Air Coryell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

• Options

@perkdog said:

I figured it was time for a change, and I've become obsessed with Urban Meyer!

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

I figured it was time for a change, and I've become obsessed with Urban Meyer!

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

--- Sam Rutigliano, Brian Sipe and the Kardiac Kids.
    --- Marty Schottenheimer, Bernie Kosar, Kevin Mack and Earnest Byner.
    --- John Elway!! :s

• Options

Eric Dickerson's goggles.

• Options

His best years were the 1980s though this particular play wasn’t…

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19, 2021 9:19PM

JOE MONTANA.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2021 2:42PM

As far as Dickerson is concerned..... I never figured it out. Lots of yardage....but not a winner.....maybe on another team but with the Rams........wasted talent.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember Hog Hannah smashing people

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

I remember Marino carving up the league as well. when throwing for 3000 yards and 20 TDs put you among the league leaders, Dan was destroying those numbers. I often wonder what he would be putting up in today's nfl

• Options

What I remember..... Jerry Rice and Montana. Good ole NFC hardcore football! The Hogs, the Giants and L. T. Primetime Sanders that could lock up Jerry Rice. This era was the best of any football. Defense of the bears. I could go on.... I'll cry if I do.

• Options

remember boomer and ickey woods. they were the hot thing for a minute.

• Options

I also remember Bo railroading the Boz on monday night football.

Bo was so cool...

• Options

I just keep thinking of memories. maybe because it was during my youth and they all seemed like super heros to me.

remember the fog game Randall Cunningham played against the Bears? so incredible.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Charles Martin - Jim McMahon

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

@craig44 said:
    I just keep thinking of memories. maybe because it was during my youth and they all seemed like super heros to me.

remember the fog game Randall Cunningham played against the Bears? so incredible.

Yep!!! Awesome lol. I just loved the whole atmosphere from viewing, to the people in the stands... Everything! In a corny way .. it was like heaven without all the technology lol. I do Soo miss it! It actually hurts lol

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the pathetic 'Stick'* in the 80's. Even better my two tickets cost $600. Scalpped Monday night games(usually the Giants) and the Rams game to Harrah's sports book for my season cost. My wife lasted two games. Half the guys were smoking cigars, she looked around and said; " what is this place, a contractor training class?"

It was free for 5 or 6 years. !!!!

*Candlestick Park

Have a nice day
  • Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a Cowboys fan I got many chances to watch this guy totally dominate through the 80's.

• Options

@LandrysFedora

I had posted these earlier in the thread but in the first one you can almost tell the instant Rich Gannon recognizes LT coming for him; it’s like a total body panic. The man was a beast.

PS - Glad this isn’t a 90s thread as I still have Emmitt Smith nightmares…

• Options

Mike Singletary was a beast, and he had those crazy looking eyes.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

BEAST

• Options

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

BEAST

Definitely a beast, the Bears were very entertaining!

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember being a senior in high school, graduated in 82 so this happened in the fall of 81 I
    argued with a classmate that the Chiefs should be starting Steve Fuller at QB instead of Bill Kenney
    because Fuller was a lot more mobile. As usual as the years went by I appeared to be wrong as Kenney
    had a much better career.
    How I remember such mundane things I have no idea, but I've got tons of seemingly pointless stories just like this one.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@Darin said:
    I remember being a senior in high school, graduated in 82 so this happened in the fall of 81 I
    argued with a classmate that the Chiefs should be starting Steve Fuller at QB instead of Bill Kenney
    because Fuller was a lot more mobile. As usual as the years went by I appeared to be wrong as Kenney
    had a much better career.
    How I remember such mundane things I have no idea, but I've got tons of seemingly pointless stories just like this one.

And your lucky to have them, less doors to our youth are opened as we get older, the memories just disappear

• Options

^^^^ those are very true words perk. very true...

• Options

I wish the 1987 strike wouldnt have happened. there were a few all time great seasons that we just missed out on.

Jerry rice scored 22 touchdowns in only 12 games

Reggie white had 21 sacks in 12 games.

had both of those two players been able to play a full season, those would be record setting seasons still.

they may have ended up with 30 TD and 30 sacks.

• Options

Warren Moon deserves a mention.

For Techmo Bowl alone…but also for being a Hall of Fame talent.

• Options

Also?

Techmo Bowl

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    Warren Moon deserves a mention.

For Techmo Bowl alone…but also for being a Hall of Fame talent.

I mean Bo Jackson was unstoppable in Tecmo. FACT

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    Also?

Techmo Bowl

😍

• Options

oh my gosh, i spent hour after hour after hour on Techmo. and yes, warren moon was great on it. as were the buffalo bills. they were almost unbeateable with thurman thomas, jim kelly and bruce smith.

bo was the fastest RB.

you could also put up huge passing numbers with Marino and the marks brothers.

• Options

I think Moon threw the prettiest deep ball i ever saw. just an effortless perfect arcing spiral.