Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2021 Quarter Error

Hi, I was going through my quarters and this quarter really stood out. Most of the time people have to use a magnifying glass to find errors but this one is clearly visible. I'm still trying to find out how this error was possible since the mark is circular and raised. Could anyone let me know if I've really found something? I truly think I have.

Comments

  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Pictures?

    Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

  • Options

    Just joined and trying to figure this out. How exactly do I post a pic?

  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Sound like a rolling machine scratch which would be damage.

  • Options

    @privatecoin said:
    Pictures?

    https://app.photobucket.com/u/ISABCHI1506/a/523ec4ff-29f1-46ab-8403-6c85d42a2c4e

    Had to use this link in order to share pics. Let me know if u can see them

  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,081 ✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2021 9:54AM

    Your pictures did work. The coin was scratched from a rolling machine.

    -Paul

    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options

    @ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Sound like a rolling machine scratch which would be damage.

    I know how those scratches look, which are usually indentations. This one is raised and through the lettering.
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/ISABCHI1506/a/523ec4ff-29f1-46ab-8403-6c85d42a2c4e

  • Options

    @commoncents05 said:
    Your pictures did work. The coin was scratched from a rolling machine.

    -Paul

    Aren't scratches usually indented. This one is raised. And it's not multiple scratches. Its raised to almost the height of the outside but just a bit short. I've seen and had machine rolled damage coins before and this is not scratched or indented like those.

  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

    When you scratch metal and create an indentation or valley, the displaced metal needs to go somewhere.

    Unless the metal is actually removed, it goes upward. It can expand gradually over a larger area or abruptly in a limited area. It depends on how it was done.

    If your coin does not have rolling machine damage, then what do you think it is? Raised on the coin means engraved into the die. How would such an anomaly be engraved into the die?

  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Welcome to the forum! :)

    Another vote for rolling machine damage.

  • Options

    @JBK said:
    When you scratch metal and create an indentation or valley, the displaced metal needs to go somewhere.

    Unless the metal is actually removed, it goes upward. It can expand gradually over a larger area or abruptly in a limited area. It depends on how it was done.

    If your coin does not have rolling machine damage, then what do you think it is? Raised on the coin means engraved into the die. How would such an anomaly be engraved into the die?

    I'm not sure. But wouldn't the lettering be damaged if it is raised due to damage. Looking at the coin straight it seems perfect until you move it to the side. The lettering does not look damaged at all. I'm just curious to how, if scratched, the lettering is not distorted. Again I'm just asking questions here to get an understanding of how this occured.

  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The lettering is incused (below the surface) where the scratch is.

    A rolling machine scratch to to the surface would not usually impact those.

  • Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The way you posted your pics they cannot be enlarged for closer inspection. From what I can see my vote is rolling machine scratches. Here is a forum thread link that discussed this in detail:

    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/170193/what-is-counting-wheel-damage

  • Options

    Ok. I appreciate you guys for clearing this up for me 😊

  • Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ISABCHI1506 said:
    Ok. I appreciate you guys for clearing this up for me 😊

    All good! Welcome to the forums. Your questions were valid and are exactly why we are here. To learn from each other!😎

  • Options

    @ISABCHI1506 said:
    Hi, I was going through my quarters and this quarter really stood out. Most of the time people have to use a magnifying glass to find errors but this one is clearly visible. I'm still trying to find out how this error was possible since the mark is circular and raised. Could anyone let me know if I've really found something? I truly think I have.

    I have a quarter that I think could be an error coin. I'm new to this and was hoping I could get some feed back about it. Thank you and happy hunting

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Seanlust ... Welcome aboard. When you can, post pictures, and people will be happy to help you. Clear pictures of obverse and reverse and magnified image of the 'error'. Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I didn’t click the link to see the coin but the 21 crossing the Delaware coin does have several well known die breaks - although most or on the reverse and either in Washington’s head or his sword, and another common one just near the front of the boat. Many of these are for sale on eBay if you look.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file