Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

DELETE

PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 22, 2022 2:52PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

Comments

• Options
    edited September 17, 2021 8:49PM

I guess I always wanted a dot penny or dime here in Canada held the dime (was for sale) once but it was very expensive.

Only 3 known and 5 known of each. I never saw the penny in person that is one of the only true rarities from Canada that even when I went to the currency museum a few times they never had. Maybe now they do I do not know it has been 10 years.

I also always wanted a 15 sol from 1670 from ''Canada'' again never seen one in real life only at the museum and 1 in a book.

• Options

For those who do not know the 15 Sol piece.

https://www.coinbooks.org/v22/esylum_v22n09a20.html

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can think of a few I would have liked to go harder for, but I don't regret it much. There's always another cool coin around the bend.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options

@neildrobertson said:
    I can think of a few I would have liked to go harder for, but I don't regret it much. There's always another cool coin around the bend.

Can you name a few or rather keep them secret?

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KingOfMorganDollar said:

@neildrobertson said:

Can you name a few or rather keep them secret?

Eh. They don't warrant the attention.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2021 7:20AM

I prefer to forget about them and accept they weren’t meant for me.

Always something new and fancy to start wanting anyway. I’m usually not surprised at what things sell for and my bids match my interest . My thoughts sound like, I like it as a ____ grade, or I’m in at ____price point. If I don’t snag it, well it’s not for me or I only have myself to blame. In my time now, I have watched several pieces I thought were perfect for me end up being dodged bullets anyway.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the hoards of Athenian tetradrachms that have hit the market in recent years. This one really moved me, but I didn't dig deep enough by $140. :'(

NGC AU*
    Strike: 5/5
    Surface: 5/5
    Fine Style

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sicily Syracuse is my only ancient pursuit, this was/is a pricey coin and I should have pulled the trigger. Still haunts me to this day.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

A coin I have mentioned before, 1771 Peru 4R choice XF to AU which sold on eBay in March 2002.

• Options

@WCC said:
    A coin I have mentioned before, 1771 Peru 4R choice XF to AU which sold on eBay in March 2002.

It never resurfaced in 20 years?

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2022 8:17AM

This piece is not part of this collecting area, but I regret to this day and will always regret not buying this 1801 Thomas Jefferson presidential inaugural medal. The dies for it were made by future U.S. mint die maker, John Reich. I had the cash, but listened to the wrong advice.

The surviving population is about 12 pieces in silver and 2 in white metal. Given the fact that most auction results are totally crazy these days, my chance of owning one of these is virtually zero.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

1916 Canada Gold Sovereign ... missed it by about 1k

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2022 8:34AM

Two decades ago, Steinbergs (in Florida) , had a couple of gem Greek 1876 rare pieces, certified NGC MS65, fixed list price, @$2500 each. I already had that pair in unc, but not certified, it was the year 2000. I had paid for my pair $1200 (both coins).

When I sent them in for grading they graded PCGS MS63 each. The pair @ Steinbergs was still available, but he had also just brought a RR 1876 50 drs gold NGC AU58 @ $9500 and I opted for that.

I truly regret that decision, because Steinbergs went in to lower the price of the pair to $4500 ($2250 each) and after an entire year they were finally sold. Today the pair in 65 is worth approx $22000, whereas the 50 drs gold , albeit much rarer, increased to approx $25000. This is my only basic regret, or used to be.

At some point in my life, I got completely detached from any sentimental or other attachment to any object, first and foremost numismatics. So, I regret the financial decision back then, but not the gem pair per se.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

@Weiss : for $140? You are the undisputed number one so far. You know of course that I’m not legally allowed to buy/sell/trade or even collect these. 😊

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SYRACUSIAN said:
    @Weiss : for $140? You are the undisputed number one so far. You know of course that I’m not legally allowed to buy/sell/trade or even collect these. 😊

I _lost _her by $140. The hammer fell at $4080 with the juice.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

@Weiss said:

@SYRACUSIAN said:

I _lost _her by $140. The hammer fell at $4080 with the juice.

I got that! If you had been able to buy an Athenian tetradrachm for $140, you’d be talking to us from a Time Capsule! 🙂

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SYRACUSIAN said:
    Two decades ago, Steinbergs (in Florida) , had a couple of gem Greek 1876 rare pieces, certified NGC MS65, fixed list price, @$2500 each. I already had that pair in unc, but not certified, it was the year 2000. I had paid for my pair $1200 (both coins).

When I sent them in for grading they graded PCGS MS63 each. The pair @ Steinbergs was still available, but he had also just brought a RR 1876 50 drs gold NGC AU58 @ $9500 and I opted for that.

I truly regret that decision, because Steinbergs went in to lower the price of the pair to $4500 ($2250 each) and after an entire year they were finally sold. Today the pair in 65 is worth approx $22000, whereas the 50 drs gold , albeit much rarer, increased to approx $25000. This is my only basic regret, or used to be.

The first time I went to London for Coinex week was in the late 80's. I knew very little about world coins at the time, and absolutely nothing about modern Greek coins, but somehow I ended up taking a shot on a matched pair of raw 1876 5 and 10 Drachmas at the Spink auction. (IIRC, they were something like $2500 for the pair, all in.) Today, I believe they're in 66 and 67 holders. Dimitri can probably tell us the rest of the story, and how much they're worth today. I don't regret selling the coins, because I only bought them to sell them. But they wouldn't have been a bad long term investment!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2022 11:50AM

Today, I believe they're in 66 and 67 holders. Dimitri can probably tell us the rest of the story, and how much they're worth today. I don't regret selling the coins, because I only bought them to sell them. But they wouldn't have been a bad long term investment!

66 and 67? 😵‍💫 Selling these coins? Dimitri won’t tell the rest of the story. Dimitri is no longer in speaking terms with MrEureka. 🤨🤬

Gotta search my SPINK catalogues with such memorable sales, very very busy!

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

OK shock time over.

The beauty of being a collector and a dealer such as Andy, is that he’s seen the cream of the cream of all such different countries. So many viewings, so little time…

Besides, he was talking about a time that I hadn’t even heard of him yet, right?

I wish that you still had them though. As for their current value, if even one of them is in a 67, we’re talking a lot of money. A lot. But we’re supposed to know this right? The longer you hold the better, especially when a bull market like today’s shows up.

Then again, in Andy’s case, or even at a much smaller level, some of us enjoy more the hobby as catch and release, with few untouchables (as these would have been for me) rather than insist on ideas such as pride of ownership and « I got this back in … 1968 and I’ve never sold a coin in my life »! There’s plenty of room and plenty of coins for all of us.

Neat story Andy. If I ever encounter them, I’ll use these prices as a starting bargaining point. 😅

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    ClioClio Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe it's a bit too soon to regret this one but I bid as high as I could possibly manage on this one and still lost the auction.

It's a really great piece for the type and was very hard to find comparable comps to have any idea what it would sell for. Even digging around for raw pieces in UK auctions wasn't much help. I imagine I'll find another but it checked a lot of boxes for me and I still kind of regret not getting it.

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Clio said:
    Maybe it's a bit too soon to regret this one but I bid as high as I could possibly manage on this one and still lost the auction.

It's a really great piece for the type and was very hard to find comparable comps to have any idea what it would sell for. Even digging around for raw pieces in UK auctions wasn't much help. I imagine I'll find another but it checked a lot of boxes for me and I still kind of regret not getting it.

Nice looking coin. It might be hard to get something that nice for that coin

• Options
    SimonWSimonW Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WCC said:

No kidding? That would have been something special. Did you happen to grab pics?

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.