Home Precious Metals
Options

SLV vs PSLV - why is PSLV better Derryb?

MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

The other half controls the money but I plan on making an attempt for a etf play in the near future. I’ll need more than luck for that.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

PSLV by a long shot

PSLV invests in physical silver that's stored at the Royal Canadian Mint, while SLV's custodian is JPMorgan who may or may not have loaned the silver to someone else.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I do trust the rcm more than a company

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

there is a reason it is called the Sprott Physical Silver Trust

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2021 6:56PM

PSLV goes down more when gutter tankx and goes up less when the paper price rises. Sprott will love you though for lining his pockets......errrrrr I mean fighting the good fight. Spend more lose more, the life of a gutter man. LOL

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    edited September 17, 2021 8:51PM

@blitzdude said:
    PSLV goes down more when gutter tankx and goes up less when the paper price rises. Sprott will love you though for lining his pockets......errrrrr I mean fighting the good fight. Spend more lose more, the life of a gutter man. LOL

Once again you demonstrate why you lose money with metals. Maybe you should just give up and stick to trolling.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@blitzdude said:

Once again you demonstrate why you lose money with metals. Maybe you should just give up and stick to trolling.

Your article does support Blitzdudes commnet as it shows PSLV having a higher expense ratio and lower performance than SLV.

One can also easily plot the performance of the 2 over the last 10 years--since inception of PSLV--and note the underperformance. This underperformance is quite evident especially during then 2011-2012 collapse.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@blitzdude said:

Your article does support Blitzdudes commnet as it shows PSLV having a higher expense ratio and lower performance than SLV.

One can also easily plot the performance of the 2 over the last 10 years--since inception of PSLV--and note the underperformance. This underperformance is quite evident especially during then 2011-2012 collapse.

Your "performance" is 100% based on non-physical silver. As holders of real silver know, it will not outperform silver futures until the market wakes up to the futures scam. Recent increases in premiums demonstrate this can and will eventually occur.

Until then my two ETF choices are:

1. Real physical silver held by a reputable storage entity, the Royal Canadian Mint. in an allocated account.
    2. A promise for physical silver held by a three time charged criminal enterprise in an unallocated account, knowing that this silver, if it even exists, may be legally promised to multiple parties at the same time.

The breakaway from futures silver prices is what will reward the holders of an actual physical ETF (PSLV) while the holders of an ETF that tracks futures prices (SLV) will get left behind.

• Options

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@blitzdude said:

Your "performance" is 100% based on non-physical silver.

No. The performance is one etf vs the other. PSLV is not physical silver, it is an exchange traded fund.

• Options
    edited September 18, 2021 6:21AM

PSLV is an ETF that is backed by allocated physical silver. SLV will not tell you it is backed by physical silver, only that JPM holds the silver.

An investor in PSLV is investing in physical silver.

A seller of PSLV receives the value of the physical silver his shares equate to. A seller of SLV receives the the spot price value of his holdings. This is one of the reasons why PSLV is superior. Gains for each will not be the same. A silver ETF investor need ask two things:
    How trustworthy is the issuer of my holdings?
    Do I expect physical silver to outperform futures prices?

• Options

Yes, one should ask those questions among many, many more.

And youre right, it does come down to trust, which unfortunately can be a fluid dynamic. What you trust today, you may not tomorrow. What do you trust that would be most unwavering?

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well if a guy can trust a trust backed with physical silver on paper ( in an etf) , why not trust a depository who holds it ( silver) and charges a storage and maintenance fee ? Comparing PSLV to gold/silver IRAs.
    vs. SLV.
    I've heard a lot of Pooh pooing those IRAs ( though I've set a few up) . Just stoking the convo with fodder to the mix, because of curiosity

• Options

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Well if a guy can trust a trust backed with physical silver on paper ( in an etf) , why not trust a depository who holds it ( silver) and charges a storage and maintenance fee ? Comparing PSLV to gold/silver IRAs.
    vs. SLV.

It's a matter of market entry/exit ease. ETFs offer both and are the best alternative to holding your own metal.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

jpm = zero trust

physical = 100% trust

What's the question?

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:

jpm = zero trust

physical = 100% trust

What's the question?

I think "trust" is the wrong definition for holding silver. You need to ask yourself... trust in what? That it might become handy in a SHTF situation, or that it might be a hedge against inflation? If so, there are numerous other venues that I'd rather "trust." Needless to say, I do not trust PM's, period, physical or not. They are an investment and as such, are treated accordingly.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

You need to ask yourself... trust in what?

Trust in the fact that it exists, that you own it, and that it is accessible to you.

There's no real guarantee that it will ever be useful enough to make a significant lifestyle difference, but I contend that there is still a much, much greater likelihood of usefulness than that of unbacked paper assets while the economy is destroyed by gov.com mismanagement & corruption. i.e., it is a hedge and maybe a small bit of speculation.

The inflation is already here, so it won't be too long before we find out if pms are an effective hedge against inflation. Not so much an investment as it is a small bit of speculation. The speculation revolves around government fiat and what happens when fiat is recognized by the majority of the captured middle class for what it is - a piece of paper not much different than that of Weimar currency, and also - that fiat's mode of devaluation is identical to the mode of devaluation done in Weimar - hyper-money creation by gov.com in order to escape debt-induced collapse, i.e. the "cure" for economic mismanagement is even more economic mismanagement. Crazy stuff, but it's happening.

As prices continue to escalate and as shortages develop due to gov.com's mismanagement of the economy, how long before blind trust in fiat by the majority of Americans evaporates when they realize what's happened to their way of life?

there are numerous other venues that I'd rather "trust."

imo, those venues wouldn't include bonds, so then what? Do you think that stocks will perform well in a societal meltdown when it's clear that laws are being ignored on a wholesale basis by select groups of people, while ordinary citizens are being victimized and lied to? Do tell, what venues would you trust?

Further, what venues do you think aren't being manipulated to give total advantage to the select few? Do you believe that you can ride their coattails? I'd like to get some differing opinions, lest the term "conspiracy nut" enters the discussion. ;)

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2021 6:40PM

"imo, those venues wouldn't include bonds, so then what? Do you think that stocks will perform well in a societal meltdown when it's clear that laws are being ignored on a wholesale basis by select groups of people, while ordinary citizens are being victimized and lied to? Do tell, what venues would you trust?"

That's an easy question to answer.
    A) Food producing farm land.
    B)B) Cattle, sheep & chicken (The survivors in a SHTF calamity will need food & clothing.)
    C) Water rights....
    D) for current investments. Moving & Storage companies ... along with fire equipment suppliers ..military hardware.
    E) You'd be happy to know, if money is required....my choice would be 90% US Silver coins.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2021 1:53AM

That's an easy question to answer.
    A) Food producing farm land.
    B)B) Cattle, sheep & chicken (The survivors in a SHTF calamity will need food & clothing.)
    C) Water rights....
    D) for current investments. Moving & Storage companies ... along with fire equipment suppliers ..military hardware.

Good choices, as long as gov.com doesn't decide that you own too much and haven't been paying "your fair share". That seems to be the trend. FDR made a move to tax private farm production for the family's own usage (because it wasn't for the "common good"), but that tax was rejected by the Supreme Court. We may not be as fortunate with all of the modern day FDRs around.

if money is required....my choice would be 90% US Silver coins

Yeah, you just never know..................it could turn out to be cryptos.................unless the net goes down................ ;)

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

There is an 8744 page listing of each bar held for the SLV etf. Let your fingers do the walking.

• Options
    edited September 28, 2021 7:23AM

@cohodk said:
    There is an 8744 page listing of each bar held for the SLV etf. Let your fingers do the walking.

Is "Five Time Felon" JP Morgan involved in any way with this accounting? LOL

• Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

SLV has out performed PSLV on almost all time frames over a week and longer, so there's that.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only person making $$$ on PSLV is Sprott. lol

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.