Home U.S. Coin Forum

Mercury Dime Stamped but not cut?

To say I'm new to coin collecting would be an understatement. I have inherited my fathers small collection and I'm trying to figure out what I have. Forgive me if this is not the correct place to ask but do you have any idea what this Mercury dime is? Any advice/direction is welome. Thanks.

Comments

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins are minted on planchets.

Your dime appears to be in some kind of mount.

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin was inserted into a larger round thing, like the good luck encased coins. It was probably a key chain or something similar.

Mr_Spud

• I thought that too but the dime and the outside rim all appear to be one. I can't push the dime through.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

On eBay some may claim it was struck on a quarter planchet and a major error.

• It is the exact size of a nickel.

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

When they encase them the machine stamps the metal that encases the coin and it squeezed around the coin and you can’t push it out. Here’s a few examples of similar encased mercury dimes I just googled

Mr_Spud

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s just a Mercury dime in a mount of some kind. Probably came from a piece of jewelry.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd leave it as is for a novelty item. Even though it's a common 43-P you might scratch it up trying to remove it.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DDaubner said:
    I thought that too but the dime and the outside rim all appear to be one. I can't push the dime through.

If you study and learn the minting process, you'll easily understand that that what you're claiming can't occur. It's in some type of mount as others have said. Absolutely, not an error.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you carefully check the edge at 12:00 I bet you'll see evidence of a loop having been attached at one time for use on a charm bracelet or key chain.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2021 5:12PM

Overstruck on a buffalo nickel with false dies. ;)

Edited to add: Welcome to the forum! :)

• IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2021 5:40PM

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Overstruck on a buffalo nickel with false dies. ;)

Edited to add: Welcome to the forum! :)

Someone cut a hole in the buffalo nickel and inserted the dime. You can still see some of the obverse detail from the buffalo nickel near the rim.

• Thank you all for your input and knowledge.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DDaubner .... Welcome aboard... Definitely an encased coin...likely jewelry or for a birthday. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file