Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does anyone have the New Hampshire American Innovation $1 coin in hand? I'm losing my sanity!

This has been driving me insane. After the picture of the Proof set of this years American Innovation coins, I noticed that the New Hampshire coin is rotated 90 degrees.

from: https://catalog.usmint.gov/american-innovation-2021-1-coin-proof-set-21GA.html?cgid=american-innovation-1-coins#start=1

Now I was thinking maybe it was just wrong for when the photographer took the picture for the website, but it is also like that on the packaging.

So at this point, I'm like ok, well they just got it wrong for the set, but then I go and check the individual coin and it is sideways too!

Maybe their photographer was just having a bad day and the image is just wrong. But wait... In the description of the coin, they even describe it as having player 1 on the left and the image of the game on the right, so it's not just the photographer...

https://catalog.usmint.gov/american-innovation-1-coin-2021-rolls-and-bags-new-hampshire-MASTER_INNOVATIONNH.html?cgid=2021-product-schedule

Ok. Ok. Calm down, maybe I'm missing something. Maybe since it's based on the game of handball. The line halfway through the coin is for the left and right side of the game with player 1 on the left side. Well that could actually make sense if on the "right" side of the coin there was just one of the paddles and maybe the ball, but that entire side has the paddle for both players and the ball and it is oriented in a way that matches everything I've been saying.

And none of the writing on the coin has any indication that the coin should be rotated the way they are showing it. "New Hampshire" should 100% be at the bottom of the coin, and the rest of the writing is oriented for the coin to be rotated this way as well.

My plea to whoever may already possess this coin is to let me know if the obverse of the coin lines up with the reverse how they are depicting it on the website, or if it lines up in the way that actually makes sense. Or for someone else to tell me what I am missing.

Regardless, if the set release oriented like this, I may just have to buy it for the absurdity of it all.

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it is portrayed correctly, or as intended.

• Options

Can you elaborate on why you think the way they depict it is correct. Or maybe a better question, tell me what about this orientation seems incorrect?

• Options
    micotumicotu Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited September 16, 2021 12:23PM

I guess the artist and engravers initials would fit the original orientation, still crazy to me that they have it that way without there being an obvious reason for it.

• Options

It's not for me to prove anything or for you to say it's wrong. It appears that the design is oriented as shown in the mint's photos. What you or I think it should be is irrelevant.

But, I think you answered the issue yourself when you posted a picture of the actual screen.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dude...it's pong! Yup. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Roy. Pong. That’s it. I couldn’t remember to save my butt. Pong.

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think whoever oriented the photo the way it is just never knew anything about the game of pong.
    The person who had the job of the final OK just didn't understand it either.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

NO, you do not put "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" sideways on a coin design.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

@ChrisH821 said:

Check out the T2 Silver Eagle. ;)

• Options

@JBK said:

@ChrisH821 said:

Well I guess we are just sideways from here on out. At least it reads bottom to top in this design.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone remember Intellivision? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, Pong is the only video game I have ever played. Did that when the craze first hit and it was in bars. Found it boring and did not play it anymore. The same goes for all the modern games - I guess it passes time for those with nothing better to do. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reverse (tails) design depicts Ralph Baer’s brown box game “Handball” on the right side of the coin. The left side of the coin features “New Hampshire” and “Player 1” on an incused background. “IN HOME VIDEO GAME SYSTEM” and “RALPH BAER” encircle the outside of the coin in a text that is meant to pay homage to Ralph Baer’s Odyssey game. The design of the coin is also symbolic of an arcade token.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2021 4:40AM

Just 'cause...

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder what the people in the various states that have had innovation dollars think of the design choices? Or how many people in those states are even aware there are innovation dollars?

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2021 6:43AM

@ChrisH821 said:

@JBK said:

@ChrisH821 said:

Well I guess we are just sideways from here on out. At least it reads bottom to top in this design.

And they chopped off the wing and it looks like a chicken or a raven/crow
    I’d say there are some differences 😂

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options

@Pedzola said:
    Just 'cause...

OK, so what is the orientation of the reverse?

• Options
    PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2021 7:36AM

Here you go.

The 1 in Player 1 is where Liberty's torch is on the other side.

• Options
    micotumicotu Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited September 17, 2021 8:32AM

Once I noticed the orientation of the artists' initials, I knew that would be the outcome. but still...

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:
    I wonder what the people in the various states that have had innovation dollars think of the design choices? Or how many people in those states are even aware there are innovation dollars?

I would have liked something different on the Massachusetts dollar

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file