Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hi Everyone, First Post! Overgraded NGC 1858-s $20 Liberty?

DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 14, 2021 2:52PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hello all, I'm new to the site. I just recently got back into collecting which I've taken a hiatus from. I recently picked up this 1858-s double eagle in an auction and upon delivery, it looks to me that it may be a little over graded. I'm trying to complete a collection of all the us gold coins and this is a scarce year, but the coin has a significant amount of hits and the rim of the coin shows quite a few marks. The luster is good but I'm generally wondering if these old NGC holders are reliable for pre-1933 gold? I'm considering trying to crossover some of my other coins as well from NGC to PCGS but I'm curious if this is even a candidate for a crossover, because I would definitely select for same grade only. Any thoughts would be much appreciated, Thank you! My apologies if my pictures aren't great either, but id be happy to take more.

Comments

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not my area but seems accurate. Contact marks in the fields a bit heavy. But seems like a decent coin overall.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my opinion it doesn’t pass the old school standards for AU-58 due to the many distracting contact marks. New school those marks wouldn’t be an issue as long as the luster is pretty full and rub/wear is minor. I’m sure others with a better sense of the more up to date grading system will chime in.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not AU58 by my standards but my standards for gold are more strict that the major TPGs. Too much wear and too many marks to my way of thinking and grading.

Set your own strict standards for grading and don't rely on TPG or sticker company standards.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your coin looks properly graded based on your pics. What happened to the hologram? The older no-line fatty NGC slabs had a problem with the holograms peeling off when a sticker was removed but I've never seen the later NGC slabs have this problem.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2021 9:36AM

I think it would be a 55 with PCGS personally. But keep in mind NGC has their own standards guidelines that largely match, but not exactly match, PCGS and ANA. It may be accurate by their standards.

• Options

au 58 or maybe 55 because of the nicks

Young Numismatist

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

Nice coin! :)
    NGC AU-58
    PCGS AU-55

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    Your coin looks properly graded based on your pics. What happened to the hologram? The older no-line fatty NGC slabs had a problem with the holograms peeling off when a sticker was removed but I've never seen the later NGC slabs have this problem.

That's the same observation I made, the seller said it just peeled off, but when i got the coin I also noticed that the slab seam looked a little strange.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d like it better in a 55 holder. As is, it will remain forever bean less. :'(

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan .... Welcome aboard. Based on your pictures, I would be inclined to grade this as AU55. That being said, pictures can be notoriously misleading. If you want it in a PCGS holder and can tolerate a downgrade, than submit it. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    That's the way the seams looks on that generation of NGC slabs. I don't think someone switched coins on you.

yea even though it looked janky, I highly doubted that someone would go through the trouble to switch out an 58 for a 55 for minimal return

• Options

@hummingbird_coins said:
    au 58 or maybe 55 because of the nicks

I have some early double eagles in PCGS AU58 slabs that are just as heavily bag marked. Double eagles get bag marks very easily since they are big and gold is a relatively soft metal.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always seemed to me that gold coins are graded with a different standard. I seem to under grade them all. I think that there is a more lenient tendency for gold coins. At least you have a 58-58. :)

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭✭✭

i like it as a 55, i wouldnt try to cross it

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was always taught that wear and some luster was the important requirements for an AU58 grade, not bag marks and hits. Obviously major hits creating damage are important in limiting a graded coin to a details coin.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:

@PerryHall said:

That's the same observation I made, the seller said it just peeled off, but when i got the coin I also noticed that the slab seam looked a little strange.

That seam looks normal to me. You're getting paranoid. If they cracked the slab, the hologram wouldn't need to have been removed.

• Options

I like it better as a 55. But I wouldn't consider it a major reach at 58.

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks 58, just a bit scruffy. If you like the coin, keep it and don’t worry about it. If you don’t, return or sell and buy something that makes you happier!

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

No way is that coin a 58.

Would you pay 58 money for that coin, I don't think so!

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too baggy for my tastes.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

58 wear, but pretty baggy. As @PerryHall said big gold coins tend to pick up bag marks, and that one has been around for a long time.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it looks graded properly. A cool coin!

• Options

Welcome to the forums. :)

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2021 1:32PM

@jmlanzaf said:
    (I like it better as a 55. But I wouldn't consider it a major reach at 58.)

I'm liking it better if it was graded a 55 also.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@scotty4449 said:
    Welcome!

It's hard to say from those photos, I think your lighting might be a bit harsh. I like to look through auction photos when I have questions like this.

I definitely posted harsh photos, I wanted unadulterated opinions. But i agree that auction photos would be much different. I know its not a stellar coin but it is a scarce date and i got it for what i believe to be a reasonable price. if I find a better one ill just sell this one. here is a picture with "auction lighting"

• Options
    scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh yeah, that looks much better. Although this picture does highlight the rim issues you had mentioned.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK with 58 but I wouldn’t buy it beat up and ugly. Good example why I don’t care for 58’s

• Options

Here’s my 55 to also compare:

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    I believe that if the identical coin were posted in a PCGS holder of the same grade, it would meet with a much more favorable reception.

Hard to argue with that. :)

• Options

@MFeld said:
    I believe that if the identical coin were posted in a PCGS holder of the same grade, it would meet with a much more favorable reception.

It would not be a PCGS 58.

• Options

Another grading challenge... did NGC do any better with this one at AU58?

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:
    Another grading challenge... did NGC do any better with this one at AU58?

Overexposed photos. Not good for grading as they tend to diminish or hide small defects.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@MFeld said:

And if it had CAC...

• Options

Do you guys even look at the "coin" anymore? Geez!!! :s

• Options

@291fifth said:
    Overexposed photos. Not good for grading as they tend to diminish or hide small defects.

Not my photos- sorry.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@MFeld said:

That’s your opinion. Some of us disagree with you.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@MFeld said:

Mark, would You personally pay AU58 money for that coin?

Would you look for a better example?

Would you pay AU55 Money for that coin or is that still too much?

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@MFeld said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@MFeld said:

I would pay 55 money for that coin.

I don't think anyone on this thread has suggested that coin would be less than a 55, except possibly you.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@MFeld said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@MFeld said:

I don't think anyone on this thread has suggested that coin would be less than a 55, except possibly you.

If this is (actually) a "PCGS" AU55 then no coin dealer should be paying AU 55 money, they would need to pay less.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@MFeld said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@MFeld said:

Yes, I’d pay AU58 money for the coin, but I don’t see the relevance. On the other hand, if a client asked me to assess it, I’d say that it looked accurately graded, but was just an ordinary looking example. Of course, I say that about lots of coins which many people would be quite happy to own.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@MFeld said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@MFeld said:

If this is (actually) a "PCGS" AU55 then no coin dealer should be paying AU 55 money, they would need to pay less.

I would pay dealer 55 money. How does that change anything?

• Options

Admittedly, I know absolutely nothing about this series.

IMO, An AU58 coin should look very nice, that coin does not.

I'm out.

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Admittedly, I know absolutely nothing about this series.

IMO, An AU58 coin should look very nice, that coin does not.

I'm out.

Well, there's that old saying that "a 58 is a 65 with a rub". But that's really an urban legend. There's a range of 58s.

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum. If you have a question you'll get some answers here. I'm in the "It's fairly graded" camp on yours.

• Options

I'd be willing to bet that it looks better in hand. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file