Home Sports Talk

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

Packers bench Rodgers.

those words have a ring to them. I would like to get used to them.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    jimqjimq Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

In other breaking news the Brewers benched Corbin Burns the other night when he had a no hitter going

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32191840/milwaukee-brewers-corbin-burnes-josh-hader-shut-indians-mlb-record-ninth-no-hitter

You should write for Yahoo

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2021 9:07AM

Maybe the real problem is the defense?🤔

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

Well even if the defense let up 4 points the Pack still would have lost 🤷‍♂️

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

With that slicked back greasy hair, Rodgers looks like he's one step away from opening a karate dojo, he looks like the bad guy from Karate Kid part 3.

• Options

With a fresh shave and clean up he could play a role of Adrian Brody as well @doubledragon

• Options

@perkdog said:
    With a fresh shave and clean up he could play a role of Adrian Brody as well @doubledragon

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 🖒🖒

• Options
    edited September 15, 2021 4:45PM

I smell a rat! 🧀

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Hydrant said:

I was trying to be funny.......I bombed!

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@perkdog said:

@Hydrant said:

I was trying to be funny.......I bombed!

No that’s my bad! 😂😂😂😂😂

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think that he was throwing INTs to his own D.

• Options

We better watch how we talk about Aaron Rodgers, he knows karate!

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2021 3:46PM

The Bills blanked the Packers 19-0 last preseason game. Just preseason, doesn’t matter right? Open up with 38-6 shellacking and that’s 8 quarters of ugly football.
    Rodgers wasn’t benched. Down by 5 TD’si in the 4th is not a time to leave your franchise in there.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

A pathetic effort indeed, maybe Rodgers can get a new hairstyle and file a complaint with the Packers organization.

• Options

I mean, just look at this pass Rodgers threw right to the Saints safety, it looks like he meant to throw it to him.

• Options

He plays like garbage and then shows up to talk to the media looking like Danny Trejo.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

with that slicked-back hair he looks a little like a wise guy from down on the docks. Maybe one of the guys who worked for Whitey Bulger.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

Normally I'd be laughing at this but this is the one year I picked him up in my Fantasy league.

• Options

@VikingDude said:
    Normally I'd be laughing at this but this is the one year I picked him up in my Fantasy league.

That sucks, I’m sure he will regroup and be fine though. I had him a few years ago when he got hurt which is worse

• Options

@VikingDude said:

He did have 1 fantasy point in week 1. Look at it this way, it can’t get worse.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    edited September 15, 2021 6:55PM

I suspect that he wasn't actually "benched." Just a case of taking him out of a game that was beyond winning to avoid an injury. Smart move. Sorry to crash the party.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2021 11:27AM

@Hydrant said:
    I suspect that he wasn't actually "benched." Just a case of taking him out of a game that was beyond winning to avoid an injury. Smart move. Sorry to crash the party.

That’s one of things that drives me nuts about Brady. The Pats used to leave him in there when game was salted away. All you needed was for some big linemen to roll over on his knee, and it was bye-bye season for nothing. It seemed like Brady was a afraid that the back-up would take his job if the guy got any reps.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I mean, just look at this pass Rodgers threw right to the Saints safety, it looks like he meant to throw it to him.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the explanation given by the announcer does not match what actually happened. When Rodgers throws, he already knows he is not holding the safety over.

• Options
    edited September 16, 2021 1:52PM

@BillJones said:

@Hydrant said:

That’s one of things that drives me nuts about Brady. The Pats used to leave him in there when game was salted away. All you needed was for some big linemen to roll over on his knee, and was bye-bye season for nothing. It seemed like Brady was a afraid that the back-up would take his job if the guy got any reps.

Bill, the reason players stay in the game is because they don't want to come out of the game and it creates a sticky situation for the coaching staff. The fan focus is on the quarterback but there are also 21 other starters at player positions involved. Why do THEY remain in the game when the result is as you say, "salted away?" REASON.... bonus performance stipulations in player contracts, i.e., more money for minutes played, rushing yardage, passes caught, completed passes, tackles, sacks, touchdowns, etc.,etc. It's all about the money. And because of that if the coach takes out a player late in the game the player might suspect that he is being benched as a money saving move by management coupled the with loss of performance bargaining leverage for future contract negotiations. Think legal action on behalf of a player by the NFL Players Association. Also, I think you make a good point about the starter fearing that he might lose his job if the back-up comes in and looks good. But again, money enters into that scenario for all the reasons already stated......AND......as the starter knows, the back up player makes much less money than he does. Who will management keep? The million dollar+ starter or the rookie who earns the basic salary? Bottom line.......the players earn those big bucks to PLAY FOOTBALL.....not to be benchwarmers and management wants the best "PRODUCT" on the field. That's what they're paying for. 30 minutes of on field play per game is not really too much to ask for a gazillion dollars in return. Oh, my!

• Options
    edited September 16, 2021 1:54PM

Also, to answer your question about Tom Brady specifically. He is the biggest draw in football today. The next Ram home game is against the Bucs in two weeks. I own a block of 10 season tickets. I'm getting offers to sell those tickets way over base price. The offers are not coming from people who want to watch the Bucs backup QB.

• Options
    edited September 16, 2021 2:36PM

And......"salted away?". Think Super Bowl Atlanta vs. Tom. The head coach wants to protect his job too. It ain't over till the fat lady sings.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    And......"salted away?". Think Super Bowl Atlanta vs. Tom. The head coach wants to protect his job too. It ain't over till the fat lady sings.

I am talking about the last minute with a four touchdown lead, not the third quarter.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@Hydrant said:
    Also, to answer your question about Tom Brady specifically. He is the biggest draw in football today. The next Ram home game is against the Bucs in two weeks. I own a block of 10 season tickets. I'm getting offers to sell those tickets way over base price. The offers are not coming from people who want to watch the Bucs backup QB.

Tom terrific rarely took a hit so the reason to take him out would be to prevent injury. TB saw someone coming, he didn’t scramble out, he just fell down. Rodgers pretty much the same.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    edited September 17, 2021 1:32PM

@BillJones said:

@Hydrant said:

I am talking about the last minute with a four touchdown lead, not the third quarter.

I understand, Bill. But....touchdowns do happen in the last minute of a game. It's common. And I do know for a FACT that whoever scored that last minute touchdown on a run or whoever threw the pass and whoever caught the pass gets rewarded financially for THAT PLAY. The time clock DOES NOT MATTER. It may be a shock to some but the players are PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES..... meaning.....they are playing for MONEY! I have friends and family members who have played in the NFL. Friends who have children who have played in the NFL. On and on. I know what I'm talking about.

• Options
    edited September 17, 2021 2:10PM

I'll make it simple; John is a QB. John signs a contract with a base salary of one million dollars for the season. John's contract has a stipulation in it that states for every touchdown pass John throws he gets an extra $50,000 over and above his base salary of one million dollars. John DOES NOT want to come out of the game. John DOES NOT care what the score is. John DOES NOT care how much time is remaining on the game clock. What John DOES care about is that he can make $50,000 by throwing a touchdown pass with 0 seconds left on the game clock even though John's team is winning OR losing by 21 points. And... John DOES care about the coach pulling him out of the game because John can't throw $50,000 touchdown passes while he's sitting on the bench. Simple.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2021 2:06PM

Good luck to JoLo. AR's after game press conference probably pissed of GB admin, and justifiably so in the next game up as well, and maybe from then on.... Time to move on.....

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    edited September 17, 2021 2:19PM

It's the same in Major League Baseball. Every player wants to PLAY. The only way they can increase their income potential is to be on the field PLAYING. Sitting on the bench decreases their income potential. They are professionals. They're playing for money. It's that simple.

• Options
    edited September 17, 2021 2:44PM

@2dueces said:

........ TB saw someone coming, he didn’t scramble out, he just fell down. Rodgers pretty much the same.

Those situations are sometimes determined by management. Some QB's are instructed not to scramble but to go down before the hit. The decision is not up to the QB. Jared Goff is a good example.
    He took a lot of heat from fans and the media because he went down before the hit. What people didn't know is that he was instructed to do just that and to NEVER open field run for yardage. At least in his rookie season. I think that that decision was detrimental to his subsequent development in many areas....he developed a habit early on of being "gun shy" and he never got over it. Oh, well.